2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

I see Calum Booth got a run out today. David Syme seems to have been playing right back for us recently, I wonder if he's likely to get a start there when serious football begins. Centre half to be signed soon I think. From looks of things no problem with attacking part of team but just as well League cup games before the league proper which will give time for a new defense to bed itself in.

Wrap up Erskine and lawless in cotton wool. If they get injured there ain't much flair out there.

As it stands they will have great support from Dools, ayeez, Amoo so attacking options are excellent and we should score loads of goals. Need to start with 2 of these 3.

Wilson and Osman in midfield. Close between Welsh and Wilson but I thought Wilson was clearly better today. Neither can play banzo's role though.

CB is the real problem though. I thought Devine had a nightmare. It was a clear penalty as he took the man before the ball. Kelley did OK but was culpable at the goal. We will concede a barrowload until we get this sorted.

But the keeper was excellent. Sign him. Who was he?

I would like the club to update the worryingly long injury list.

Not bad overall. Still not 100% sure about Devine but Some was good.

First half was a breeze but a poor Morton put a bit of fight into the second half early doors and almost equalised if not for a good save from the Trialist keeper, from Forres.

Loved the way the goalie made a noise! Have we had quite a lot of quiet keepers?

Agree with what weebaw said..The difference between Tuesday and today in Erskine was unbelievable. Liked Azeez, strong as well as like lightning and David Amoo was superb until his argument with the post.

If we had kept the same team we would at least have doubled the score.

Wilson is improving and I thought young McDaid came on to a game too. McCarthy didn't get long but to me looks confident which is great in somebody so promising.

Worry about Devine; rhat's three times I've seen him and he certainly is prone to getting caught out.

Over the years we have never sorted out this bit of coping when people run at us. Big centre half with pace and heading ability, please, Archie.

Bit disappointed that there was no mention from Archie of a centre half. If we go into the season with Devine. Lindsay and Syme as our only central defenders, it could be a long season, especially if Cerny is out for any length of time. The team is a total opposite of last season where we were strong in defence but relatively weak in midfield and up front. We are now pretty strong in midfield and up front but looking really weak defensively. Ideally we need an on loan goalie and right back and a central defensive signing. If we get them and get the injured players back, we are looking good.

Bit disappointed that there was no mention from Archie of a centre half.

Can share that worry but wonder if Kelly has done enough to earn a contract. That might not exactly alleviate the overall centreback quality issue but would at least give us a player who can cover two or three positions. A lot probably depends on Lindsay and whether he could match Seaborne last season in quality.

Looks to me the injury situation is so fluid that signing priorities are changing on a near daily basis. Listening to Archie it now appears that goalkeeper cover is now the major concern. Maybe the biggest problem could be that loan signings would be our best route to take but with the transfer window open for another 7 weeks it's unlikely that such signings would occur anytime too soon.

Suppose we could offer Crawford a 1- or 2-month contract.

This would put him in the shop window, earn him some cash and alleviate our problem.

Same could be said for Kelly with a view to a longer term contract if he impresses.

That might work for Kelly but Crawford is a known quantity. Maybe he has a decent day job (he's always been part time) and was just doing us a favour?

Suppose we could offer Crawford a 1- or 2-month contract.

Not allowed AFAIK under current regulations. You have to offer contracts window to window, which is doubly frustrating as you are, probably, just looking for them to cover the bench for the Betfred Cup.

Not allowed AFAIK under current regulations. You have to offer contracts window to window, which is doubly frustrating as you are, probably, just looking for them to cover the bench for the Betfred Cup.

Particularly a reserve goalkeeper who'll really only get a game if your No1 keeper gets injured or sent off (less likely this season). I can understand why allowing trialists in the cup competition isn't allowed as it devalues the competition to a degree. Maybe tho' goalkeepers should be made an exception for the very reason they'll have little chance of getting a game, which in a way is kinda tough on the player himself.

I suppose Archie could sign a keeper then when he's no longer needed send him out on loan till his contract's up. The downside to that I suppose it could mean one less youngster being loaned out.

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/4240/dan-seaborne

Doesn't look like dangerous Dan Seaborne has signed for anyone yet could be worth a telephone call to the big fella or approach Caldwell to see if we can get Hendry back for a season. We need to get a central defender in and quick!

Edited by Lindau

Particularly a reserve goalkeeper who'll really only get a game if your No1 keeper gets injured or sent off (less likely this season). I can understand why allowing trialists in the cup competition isn't allowed as it devalues the competition to a degree. Maybe tho' goalkeepers should be made an exception for the very reason they'll have little chance of getting a game, which in a way is kinda tough on the player himself.

I suppose Archie could sign a keeper then when he's no longer needed send him out on loan till his contract's up. The downside to that I suppose it could mean one less youngster being loaned out.

It's going to be difficult to attract a keeper in the knowledge that when Cerny and Scully are fit that he won't even be on the bench. Does anyone know what actually is wrong with Cerny. The injury he came off with at the Und game looked minor to the naked eye, yet he didn't play another game. Astonishing that he is still not fit

http://www.skysports.com/football/player/4240/dan-seaborne

Doesn't look like dangerous Dan Seaborne signed for anyone yet could be worth a telephone call to the big fella or approach Caldwell to see if we can get Hendry back for a season. We need to get a central defender in and quick!

Hendry back would be absolutely pointless IMO. The biggest problem at the back is the lack of an experienced head, Hendry won't solve that.

Devine is experienced and Hendry and Lindsay looked very good on the few occasions they played together. I think Hendry got a regular game with Shrewsbury at latter end of the season. I put his name up as defensively we are looking paper thin at the moment. My preference would be to get Seaborne back if he doesn't have any options.

Devine is experienced and Hendry and Lindsay looked very good on the few occasions they played together. I think Hendry got a regular game with Shrewsbury at latter end of the season. I put his name up as defensively we are looking paper thin at the moment. My preference would be to get Seaborne back if he doesn't have any options.

Hypothetic but assuming Hendry or Seaborne are unavailable how would you react to us signing Balatoni? Conrad ticks a few boxes with me but the most important box I feel remains unchecked. I suppose if Devine and Lindsay are to be regarded as the default pairing then Balatoni and Syme would be adequate reserves. Personally I'd worry about both Devine and Lindsay holding decent enough form, never mind getting injured or suspended, and the thought of being forced to play Balatoni (or the inexperienced Syme for that matter) for a lengthy period could be problematic.

Back in the real world I'd reluctantly side with oneteaminglasgow re Hendry and I doubt Seaborne would come back on a reduced wage, which is all we could offer him. The only reason he won't get a club is if he prices himself too high.

Hypothetic but assuming Hendry or Seaborne are unavailable how would you react to us signing Balatoni? Conrad ticks a few boxes with me but the most important box I feel remains unchecked. I suppose if Devine and Lindsay are to be regarded as the default pairing then Balatoni and Syme would be adequate reserves. Personally I'd worry about both Devine and Lindsay holding decent enough form, never mind getting injured or suspended, and the thought of being forced to play Balatoni (or the inexperienced Syme for that matter) for a lengthy period could be problematic.

Back in the real world I'd reluctantly side with oneteaminglasgow re Hendry and I doubt Seaborne would come back on a reduced wage, which is all we could offer him. The only reason he won't get a club is if he prices himself too high.

Totally agree with all that. Balatoni was a good centre back for us and regularly chipped in with goals, but he was prone to making glaring errors. If we are struggling to get someone in, yes, personally I would be happy to see him back, though I know loads that wouldn't. We have massive problems at the back and there is only one guy that can solve that particular problem As for Dan, don't know what he was on at Firhill, but reckon he was one of the best paid. Surely better to be earning a half decent wage, albeit on reduced terms, than being an unemployed footballer

Edited by Lindau