Scully

clarencegarter

I think the galls strategy is worth considering ....an experienced keeper happy not to be playing every week....put scully in loan with an emergency call back option

Don't think he would be happy with that to be honest. He has spent 2 years at Dunfermline where he played practically every game, can't see him wanting to do that again. If it was me and that scenario was offered, my reaction would be that I am clearly not rated at the club and would want to move on!

Don't think he would be happy with that to be honest. He has spent 2 years at Dunfermline where he played practically every game, can't see him wanting to do that again. If it was me and that scenario was offered, my reaction would be that I am clearly not rated at the club and would want to move on!

But Scully surely is rated at the Club? Cerny is our player of the season and it's only natural he's been first choice keeper. Put another way I don't recall Tomas having a poor game never mind two poor games in a row, that would normally trigger the 2nd choice getting promoted.

I do tho' think that Ryan should be playing in the 2nd tier next season (or certainly the first half of the season). He certainly needs to play games where he's selected on merit. The situation he's found himself in lately, where he's effectively undroppable regardless of form, is awkward to say the least. The one good thing from our point of view is his poor displays have come about at the end of this season rather than the beginning of next season. To me the logical thing to do is get Scully out on loan to the championship. That would buy time for Archie/Gal to make a reassessment and of course allow Scully necessary game time.

Btw all this is in the assumption that Gallacher is considered no more than a third/fourth (remember Waters) choice keeper. Given Gal is after all the goalkeeper coach I'd imagine that's a fair assumption to make.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

He is still at the club, so I assume he is rated. My point is that after two years on loan and playing every week with the Pars, he has came back and basically been very poor in nearly every game he has played. Not sure what, if any, improvement we will see if we ship him out on loan yet again. Can't think of many instances where a player, approaching 24, would have been sent for full season loans for two years, came back for a season and is then sent on loan again!

He is still at the club, so I assume he is rated. My point is that after two years on loan and playing every week with the Pars, he has came back and basically been very poor in nearly every game he has played. Not sure what, if any, improvement we will see if we ship him out on loan yet again. Can't think of many instances where a player, approaching 24, would have been sent for full season loans for two years, came back for a season and is then sent on loan again!

Take your point, Lindau. Perhaps tho' an exception can be made for a goalie. He's usually got a longer career and by nature of his position either plays or doesn't (unlike outfield players doesn't get a run out for the last 20 mins to keep up his sharpness). I think tho' time is limited for Scully at Firhill. On that premise I feel we have to trust Paul Gallacher/Archie with this one (especially PG). I feel it'll be a straight choice of going out on loan or moving on. I very much doubt another full season of warming the bench for Cerny will be a preferred option.

Take your point, Lindau. Perhaps tho' an exception can be made for a goalie. He's usually got a longer career and by nature of his position either plays or doesn't (unlike outfield players doesn't get a run out for the last 20 mins to keep up his sharpness). I think tho' time is limited for Scully at Firhill. On that premise I feel we have to trust Paul Gallacher/Archie with this one (especially PG). I feel it'll be a straight choice of going out on loan or moving on. I very much doubt another full season of warming the bench for Cerny will be a preferred option.

Agreed, I can't see him wanting to bench warm for Tomas for the next two seasons minimum!

One of Scully's great faults is his footwork. He seems incredible slow to get himself in the right position for shots and how may times has the ball went through his legs.

That is something that can be improved with hard work and coaching.

He's had a great opportunity to impress and has done the opposite.Don't think he has many chances left.

• Like 1

As posted by someone on P&B who states this was a tweet from Scully's uncle!

Scott Hughes

May 10

Scott Hughes ‏@scotthughes18

@ClydeSSB . Ryan Scully also signed a 2 year extension with Thistle this week. Not too be picky but just giving my nephew a shout out

I will trust Archie on this one, but if I was Scully I would be cancelling my summer holidays and asking Galls to do the same and spend the whole summer sorting his game out!

Has anyone seen much of Marc Waters who was at Clyde on loan?

Wouldn't be averse to having Scully as number 2, on the basis there won't be too many out there willing to sit on our bench in that position, and it allows us to send the younger guys on loan. At the same time, if he leaves I'll be happy enough.

The number 2 keeper needs to be able to step in and do a competent job when the first choice is unavailable.

Scully is clearly not good enough. If he is indeed contracted, send him out on loan. He should be nowhere near the first team.

Another keeper should be on the summer shopping list.

Next season will be tougher than this and there is no room for sub-standard players.

There's a slight irony re Waters in that he's about the most vocal goalie I've ever heard, whereas common criticism re Scully is his apparent non communication with those immediately in front of him. Marc Waters is the Brian Blessed of goalkeepers.

You mean somebody who totally p*sses off just about everybody else around him?

To be fair to the lad, he did produce some great saves against ICT and kept the score line down to just 4. And in that game, the "defence" line in front of him were posted missing.

Hopefully Gal can work his magic.

Galls might not be there to work the magic!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/7157280/Paul-Gallacher-has-tough-decision-to-make-over-Partick-Thistle-future.html

It's really heartening to see the way more and more players praise the club these days.

Could he be our coach but loaned out to play for another club?

^^^^^^ What the Jaggernaut says.

That's a lot of experience to see walking out the door and if he's not expected to be on the bench on a Saturday could he be playing elsewhere. Only concern would be that he's not seeing his trainees in live action but then he'd not be seeing Scully do anything on a Saturday other than warm a seat anyway.

It's really heartening to see the way more and more players praise the club these days.

Could he be our coach but loaned out to play for another club?

As long as Gallacher goes to a part time team then I wouldn't see a problem with him continuing coaching at Firhill. As he's indicated his decision will be a financial one a better situation for him would be get a full time goalie & coach position probably down a league.

Archie has obviously got faith in Ryan Scully but surely at 24 yrs old if he had any ambition in football he would want to be playing every week, might be a better plan to loan him out to a championship club to play every week and hopefully after a couple of years come back a stronger keeper to challenge Cerny or whoever . Most supporters even at Gal's tender years would have played him the last batch of games when Cerny was injured because he's still a better keeper than Scully , that decision by the manager probably cost us a league place and 50k in prize money . I would keep Gal on as player/coach .

• Like 2