2016/17 Fixtures

jagfox

From spfl website!

How much does this clown get paid?

"Neil Doncaster, SPFL chief executive, said: “If the talk of football fans across Scotland is anything to go by, season 2016/17 is shaping up to be the most exciting in Scottish football in a long number of years.

“Today’s fixtures announcement in conjunction with our valued title sponsor Ladbrokes only serves to whet the appetite and we are all now counting down the days to the opening weekend of action in early August."

Another gem:

"Following today’s announcement certain fixtures are subject to movement pending TV selections. Celtic v Partick Thistle, scheduled for Saturday, 13 August, will be postponed at Celtic’s request (using their ‘Joker’ entitlement); reschedule information to be issued shortly"

Think I'll be playing my joker and not bother visiting parkheid!!

None to fussed about only one home game against both bigot clubs - and the argument regarding loss of revenue might be a little stretched given that the police costs for hosting either sectarian club probably wipes out a large amount of the revenue in any case.

More frustrating is the postponement of the second fixture ostensibly for the "glamour 50 years................. er next year that is ...............match against I. Milan". Admittedly Glasgow C. will have been eliminated from the "Champions League" prior to August and potentially also from the Qualifying stages of the Europa Consolation Trophy, but it clearly devalues and disrespects the domestic competition and moreover we are again the fall guys. Of course i suspect we are not really wanted or valued in this league so Dungba$tard and his ilk probably don't give a monkeys - let's be honest if the SPFL could jettison ourselves and potentially someone like say Hamilton? and replace us with Dundee United and Hibs they would be c0ck-a hoop.

Edited by JeanieD

The club is 100% right. They have set their budget for the season expecting 3 home game v the auld firm. Players and contracts depend on this. If the fixture list is not changed who's to say we can afford anymore 'quality' additions to the squad. Its an absolute disgrace and once again a shambles from the eejits in charge. I don't expect them to overturn it either even though there is still plenty of time to do so

xmas eve fixtures, aberdeen away to well,us awy to county, ict away to rangers, joke man!

I actually think this is the most ridiculous of all. Surely the clubs must be trying to get these games moved. If you go to this game you will probably not get home until 9pm on Christmas Eve! There shouldn't be any games that Saturday. They are trying to cram too many games in so they can have split in January. December games should be 3rd,10th,17th,26th & 31st

I understand the views expressed re the 2/4 fixture split and the unwelcome financial and other impacts on us, but a nagging doubt about the club protest is gnawing away at me.

Surely these are just 2 football teams among 12 and should not be special cases? Therefore you have to take the good or bad luck of the draw. In complaining, are we not perpetuating the myth that these 2 clubs have some inherent superiority and we have to bow down to them and be grateful for their financial largesse?

I agree totally that Celtic being allowed to postpone their fixture against us is ridiculous.

• Like 2

I understand the views expressed re the 2/4 fixture split and the unwelcome financial and other impacts on us, but a nagging doubt about the club protest is gnawing away at me.

Surely these are just 2 football teams among 12 and should not be special cases? Therefore you have to take the good or bad luck of the draw. In complaining, are we not perpetuating the myth that these 2 clubs have some inherent superiority and we have to bow down to them and be grateful for their financial largesse?

I agree totally that Celtic being allowed to postpone their fixture against us is ridiculous.

^ this. Sorry but this is nonsense stuff from Thistle.

But the club have budgeted based on an established routine and we are right to complain about other clubs gaining an advantage.

Thought the ugly sister were "moving to England" though.... Haven't seen that one in the press for oh, a few weeks....

The split nonsense is ultimately what causes this issue....afraid it is a fact that these two carry bigger supports so not only do we lose that impact but others benefit from it...can't we just have a bigger league of 16/18 and keep it straightforward pls?

Yet again the game is geared up for two teams in this country and the short sightedness and lack of bigger picture shown means the quality we watch and young player development is stifled, felt keenly whilst we watch another national tournament without a Scottish presence.

Pleased thistle have made this point and statement is appropriate...unlikely to get the result it is aiming for though. In my opinion it is the lack of bigger picture / collective-good thinking, i.e. the administrators / governing body that kills the game here, not individual clubs.

This just highlights the folly of the split. There will always be inconsistencies meaning our league isn't an even sporting contest. A league should mean every team plays the other teams in the league an equal number of times home and away as far as I'm concerned.

Rather than focussing on the financial negatives of playing Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen only once each at Firhill we should look at the sporting positives of playing Ross Co, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Inverness and Hamilton twice each at Firhill. Based on our record home and away against the big 3 it's far better for us to have an extra home game against the other 5. We also have the extra home game before the split. Should give us a better chance of a top 6 finish.

Having said that I do think we are correct to raise the issue with the SPFL. Given in all previous years Rangers and Celtic were in the top league the fixtures were set up to ensure 3 home games against them it was a reasonable assumption for the club to budget accordingly. The SPFL should have let clubs know that there was a possibility of it being different this season.

Yip, my thoughts exactly. It's actually quite embarrassing.

The only way to overcome this is by increasing our average attendance by 2000 this season. If ye cant make any games get a season ticket anyway or there is little point in the club and the board fight an impossible task in keeping the club in the league or build a decent team. Time for everyone to get off their erses and back the team cos if we dont no one else will

I'd rather the statement hadn't made reference to speculative sums (however close to accurate they may be) and their intent on pursuing compensation to be honest but it is what it is.

I do support the overall stance though as all we have heard from the SPFL since Sevco were promoted was how it was going to be a huge benefit to the league in both sporting and financial senses, then they go and create what appears to be an unnecessary disparity between clubs that they know full well have to have to max their budgets to compete.

I'd be quite happy if ultimately it led to the split being scrapped as clearly they are incapable of managing it properly.

I see entirely where you're coming from and in some way I agree. However, unless I'm having a senior moment, when this ridiculous 12 team post split after 33 game league was dreamed up one of the provisos was each club would have three pre split games against the ugly sisters. The driving force behind this inane set up was of course the anticipated guarantee of 4x OF televised games per season. The compromise was that each club would have a guarantee of three home games against them pre split. I can remember reading the SPL gobbledygook explaining this at the time.

So by my rationale the Club have every right to seek compensation unless someone can display examples of clubs prior to Oldco's demise that only had two pre split home games against the ugly sisters.

I can't share the luck of the draw argument as the whole set up is, and always has been, based on inequity, It's a system that can throw up the likes of Dundee playing three away games at Firhill last season. Such inequity being seen as a necessary sacrifice to ensure three home games against the OF.

If the Club were movers and shakers in a drive to get rid of the current daft set up then I would find this objection rather hypocritical. As we're generally accepted to be acquiescent to this loony league then we've every right to be seeking compensation.

A lot of fans don't turn up to OF games. Hopefully, as stated, more home fans will get along to the more run of the mill games. With an extra home game pre-split we have a great chance of challenging for the top 6 if we can get some consistent home form together.

#FTOF

I'm not that bothered with the old firm games at foothills but it's unfair if not discussed with the club's upfront. The biggest thing for me is the fact there is no regard for trying to make the game easy and accessible for fans at midweek games and over the festive period. Also the "FU" message the Septic sends to the SPFL by postponing a Saturday game as quick as its announced makes a mockery of the whole establishment.

The caley thistle saga was the greatest injustice Scottish football has ever seen. We spent millions renovating our stadium and spent years suffering for it while caley and ross county had to do next to nothing to put in a couple of seats. The only thing embarrassing about the situation is our attendances, if we could get more people back to the Stadium of Dreams there wouldn't be any 'embarrassing statements'.

• Like 1

I suspect the loss of tv revenue is behind the majority of the lost income figure quoted - after all it is highly unlikely any of the tv companies would show a game involving ourselves at either of the other Glasgow Premier League grounds although the novelty of our first ever game against The Rangers International side might have been interesting albeit it it at their ground.