Club Statement, Fixtures

angry gaz

http://ptfc.co.uk/news/2016-2017/june_2016/club_statement_about_fixture_list

Basically we play in a diddy league run by incompetents.

Aye we knew that. As long as the two cheeks are looked after and they can sell that particular wholesome product to the tv stations, the rest of us can get stuffed.

Good that the club is making a stand but feck all will be changed. We will just keep on wearing our Thistle bonnets. FTOF.

Good to see the club doing this but honestly is anyone surprised at the fixture list? If they are, have a look at Sevco's opening games! Why in Gods name have they got a home game (against Hamilton!!) to open the campaign....oh yes, they have to have a home game because they are the championship winners and they have a right to unfurl that particular flag on the first game of the season.....then you realise that for the first time that I can remember, the actual winners of the top league have been told to play away from home on the opening day of the league season!! No wonder the Celtic fans have their conspiracy thoughts about Scottish football.

Edited by Lindau

Good to see the club doing this but honestly is anyone surprised at the fixture list? If they are, have a look at Sevco's opening games! Why in Gods name have they got a home game (against Hamilton!!) to open the campaign....oh yes, they have to have a home game because they are the championship winners and they have a right to unfurl that particular flag on the first game of the season.....then you realise that for the first time that I can remember, the actual winners of the top league have been told to play away from home on the opening day of the league season!! No wonder the Celtic fans have their conspiracy thoughts about Scottish football.

Celtic had to play their opening game away from home in order to compete in the Champions Cup. It's at their own behest.

Among who? Fans of other clubs? Clubs that aren't disadvantaged by the fixtures?

Who really gives a sh*t?

It's the luck of the draw - we accept the fixture list and move on. Do you really think the SPFL sat down and did this on purpose?

I'm more bothered about Sellick being allowed to postpone a game every season. Is every club allowed to do this?

It's the luck of the draw - we accept the fixture list and move on. Do you really think the SPFL sat down and did this on purpose?

I'm more bothered about Sellick being allowed to postpone a game every season. Is every club allowed to do this?

It isn't the luck of the draw. The SPFL ensure that certain fixtures happen on the dates they want them to and everything else is subject to imbalance.

^^

The club were referring to the usual practice in past times when there was both a Rangers and a Celtic in the top league - then they managed to have an equal distribution (in the sense that all other clubs got 3 home games against the OF before the split). They managed this no bother for years. Then:

"Without any notification from the SPFL to the contrary, we had expected that this practice would continue this season and that is the basis on which we and other clubs have budgeted."

So the league administrators have changed a standard practice without bothering to inform their members (or at least their wee diddy team members).

I don't expect the likes of Doncaster to give a sh!t but I'm pleased to see the club at least stand up for itself for once and not just give in meekly to the incompetent corrupt so-and-so's who supposedly run our football.

I should add (edit) that we had budgeted on this basis so it's not a case that we can easily adjust our spending at the last minute. I expect this could mean we'll have a slightly smaller squad than intended or will be going with more loan players instead of a couple more full time signings.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I can't understand why people would be embarrassed about the club's reaction to this. Is it because they feel the fixtures are fair or just that we're such a diddy club we should gratefully accept what we're given. How about next season when the SPFL think they've got away with it and all our games against the old firm are away?

I agree on your first point. With regards to your second point, yes any club can postpone one fixture apparently.

Agree with the sentiment from the club but would it have hurt to make a call to check - especially as Sevco have never played in the top league of the SPFL!

Suspect the best we can hope for here is limited compensation to avoid court action...and in that regard clever that we've included Accies and Well.

Would love the club to postpone one of the OF games pre split for a friendly !!

We're lucky to point that we managed to sign up key players prior to the fixture announcement. If as way of example ICT had known that they would be getting the financial boost of an extra OF game then they could've been more competitive in the transfer market. Whether that would've influenced the re-signing of Lawless or Osman is pure conjecture and just meant to emphasise a point.

If the £120K drop in anticipated income is reflected in the manager's budget we're possibly looking at no further permanent signings and dependent on loan signings. Besides it stands to reason if we're now in a weaker position financially any potential signings could be attracted to our competitor clubs who've been given a financial windfall from Doncaster.

My one hope is that we're now in a healthy enough situation to be able to spread this effective loss over a lengthy period tho' it must be minded we'll already be doing that with the pitch repairs.

Regardless of any unfairness (perceived or in reality) for Doncaster not to have informed all top league clubs that some will be getting 4 OF visits and other only 2 visits is gross negligence. The whole premise of this stupid sized league was set up to ensure 4 televised ugly sister matches with a guaranteed 3 OF visits in way of compensation. For Doncaster to sit back over the last month or so and watch clubs spend money they might not be able to budget for is scandalous. I don't know how much it costs us to keep that arse in charge of the SPFL but one of the minimum requirements you ask of anyone in such a position is to see foresee situations like this and inform those who pay his wages.

eta I'm not sure that a guarantee of 4 x OF games next season (if even offered) would be seen as adequate compensation. This inane league set up is so f*cked up as it is without further interference.

• Like 2

How about next season when the SPFL think they've got away with it and all our games against the old firm are away?

Sounds good. I wouldn't then be forking out £300 for a season ticket to get unceremoniously turfed out my seat. Once you meekly accept that nonsense you can't complain about being subsequently trampled on again.

• Like 2

Agree with the sentiment from the club but would it have hurt to make a call to check - especially as Sevco have never played in the top league of the SPFL!

Suspect the best we can hope for here is limited compensation to avoid court action...and in that regard clever that we've included Accies and Well.

Would love the club to postpone one of the OF games pre split for a friendly !!

I guess you can only postpone a home game ? However, it is obvious that Celtic have been given some preference by surely asking for their 1st game to be away ?

It's not just the Rangers and Celtic situation. It's the sheer lunacy of being sent to Dingwall on Christmas Eve! Is any Thistle fan planning on travelling up there rather than spending time with their family? With the Highland weather in December, is any Jags fan going to risk being stranded up there for a few days over Christmas? Absolutely not. Ross County also therefore pay a financial price with the drop in away support, as well as the usual slump in attendances from home fans over the festive period.

• Like 1

Luckily celtic and rangers are never drawn to play in glasgow on the same day unless they are playing each other.

It's not just the Rangers and Celtic situation. It's the sheer lunacy of being sent to Dingwall on Christmas Eve! Is any Thistle fan planning on travelling up there rather than spending time with their family? With the Highland weather in December, is any Jags fan going to risk being stranded up there for a few days over Christmas? Absolutely not. Ross County also therefore pay a financial price with the drop in away support, as well as the usual slump in attendances from home fans over the festive period.

As I said in the other thread this is even more ridiculous (along with some of the midweek fixtures that Motherwell have complained about in their statement). When was the last time there were fixtures on Christmas Eve? I'm pretty sure that normally if Saturday is 24th or 25th there are no games and games are played on Boxing day instead. They are trying to fit too many fixtures in to December to allow for winter break in Jan and will end up costing clubs money and alienating fans further.

As I said in the other thread this is even more ridiculous (along with some of the midweek fixtures that Motherwell have complained about in their statement). When was the last time there were fixtures on Christmas Eve? I'm pretty sure that normally if Saturday is 24th or 25th there are no games and games are played on Boxing day instead. They are trying to fit too many fixtures in to December to allow for winter break in Jan and will end up costing clubs money and alienating fans further.

It's by no means the first time that there have been games on Christmas Eve. It all depends on what day of the week Christmas falls.

What is incontrovertibly ridiculous is long journeys for any club during the festive period when there is restricted public transport. I guess someone has to do it at some point, but for heavens sake, it's not rocket science to work out a set of fixtures that encourages people to attend games where public transport is freely available.

• Like 2

No, but nobody has thought it was a good idea since 1977.

Seriously?

I remember in 1971 there were fixtures on Christmas Day and me throwing one because my mother wouldn't let me jump the family ship to see the game.

i can't remember who the opposition was though...............

Edited by Barney Rubble

Seriously?

I remember in 1971 there were fixtures on Christmas Day and me throwing one because my mother wouldn't let me jump the family ship to see the game.

i can't remember who the opposition was though...............

http://stv.tv/sport/football/290247-when-was-the-last-time-top-flight-scottish-football-was-played-on-christmas-eve/