Club Statement, Fixtures

angry gaz

I didn't remember there being games in 2011 (maybe only SPL?) but I can see from that link that most games were between teams not too far apart and kick offs were at lunchtime. I suppose this might be an option for our game. It would mean setting off earlier but at least you could be back in Glasgow for dinner time. Might get a few more fans travelling.

UPDATE : Just checked archive fixtures on official site. Was just SPL - we played 17th and boxing day.

Edited by dpj

Seriously?

I remember in 1971 there were fixtures on Christmas Day and me throwing one because my mother wouldn't let me jump the family ship to see the game.

i can't remember who the opposition was though...............

I remember being at a home game v Ayr on Xmas Day in the early 70's. We lost 1-0

Some Dundee fan phoned the Off the Ball show today and mentioned that there was a proposal that Celtic play Dundee in Boston as a showpiece(?) game.

The agreed date is, iirc, the 17th March 2017.

Guess what fixture the "randomly generated" list had come up with on that very day......

Celtic v Dundee.

Now isn't that a fantastic coincidence?

Edited by Rid Skwerr
  • Like 1

Luckily celtic and rangers are never drawn to play in glasgow on the same day unless they are playing each other.

My mistake. We play rangers at home on 26th Nov. and celtic at home on the the 10th of december. On both occassions their other half is playing at home.

However, the old firm's home games colliding are, for obvious reasons, avoided. Right?

Knowing that keeping distance between the re-united terrible twins is a consideration when fixtures are arranged, I doubt coincidence or pure chance led to it being Thistle, Motherwell and Hamilton with only 2 home fixtures against the sons of Harry Stamper while the more remote Dundee Hearts and ICT have 4.

The fixtures are drawn via computer program, are they not? With the avoidance of celtic and rangers playing at home on the same day written into the program?

Seems to me that "home" probably means Lanarkshire, and although the schedule does not totally avoid them playing in the same area on the same day, the published fixtures are possibly a considered "preferred" option.

Maybe I'm just being a wee-diddy-club-conspiracy-theorist.... But the old firm are a pain in the fixture list as well as other irritations.

:mad: ... FTOF... the financial "benefits" come at a cost.... "west coast bias" yer feckin pie.... ken?

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

We're lucky to point that we managed to sign up key players prior to the fixture announcement. If as way of example ICT had known that they would be getting the financial boost of an extra OF game then they could've been more competitive in the transfer market. Whether that would've influenced the re-signing of Lawless or Osman is pure conjecture and just meant to emphasise a point.

If the £120K drop in anticipated income is reflected in the manager's budget we're possibly looking at no further permanent signings and dependent on loan signings. Besides it stands to reason if we're now in a weaker position financially any potential signings could be attracted to our competitor clubs who've been given a financial windfall from Doncaster.

My one hope is that we're now in a healthy enough situation to be able to spread this effective loss over a lengthy period tho' it must be minded we'll already be doing that with the pitch repairs.

Regardless of any unfairness (perceived or in reality) for Doncaster not to have informed all top league clubs that some will be getting 4 OF visits and other only 2 visits is gross negligence. The whole premise of this stupid sized league was set up to ensure 4 televised ugly sister matches with a guaranteed 3 OF visits in way of compensation. For Doncaster to sit back over the last month or so and watch clubs spend money they might not be able to budget for is scandalous. I don't know how much it costs us to keep that arse in charge of the SPFL but one of the minimum requirements you ask of anyone in such a position is to see foresee situations like this and inform those who pay his wages.

eta I'm not sure that a guarantee of 4 x OF games next season (if even offered) would be seen as adequate compensation. This inane league set up is so f*cked up as it is without further interference.

excellent post.

Xmas eve and hogmany fixtures were the perfect opportunity to have double headers against your local derby team, in our case probably killie. Can't understand why this has not been muted as it would reduce travel for supporters over the festive period and create a lot of interest to encourage folk along.

Xmas eve and hogmany fixtures were the perfect opportunity to have double headers against your local derby team, in our case probably killie. Can't understand why this has not been muted as it would reduce travel for supporters over the festive period and create a lot of interest to encourage folk along.

I don't know much about rugby (most likely as I've never wanted to) but I do know the double header between Glasgow and Embra is both a crowd pleaser and lucrative. ICT & County, Aberdeen and Dundee would be an obvious couple of derbies. Others pairing are less important and wouldn't necessarily require to be actual derbies so you could still avoid two ugly sister games etc.

Total bollox from Waddell. Our argument has nothing to do with Sevco( we voted them out because we don't need them) it's to do with the fairness of having to meet both clubs at their middens in two out of the three arranged matches. They were voted out because they were liquidated and shouldn't have been allowed back in. Personally I would only want them once at Firhill, as the fewer times that lots cretins come to Firhill, the better, however next season I will be happy to meet them in the league 4 times because it means we are in the top 6. This is what we are going to have to live with from now on.....Sevcomania from the press! Facts are the top bosses want the like of us and Hamilton out the league to compensate the return of Dundee Und and Hibs!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

The board should just take the longer term view, amend their budget to a two year budget, knowing(hoping) that we should get the extra games next season. And with less difficult games at Firhill and also 17 out of 33 pre split, we should make our best effort to get into the top 6.

Read through some of the comments on this on P & B and listened to the chat on BBC radio Scotland. Seems as though opinions are clearly split along the lines of how it affects your own team.

This self preservation at board room level, is the main reason that the top league is in such a poor state with clubs voting to retain a crazy and unfair set up as long as it benefits them and to hell with the ones that lose out.

If Thistle, Motherwell and Hamilton boards have had any support for retaining the 12 team top league with a split then they deserve everything they get. I don't go on (m)any rival clubs' supporters' forums but would be surprised if there was any overwhelming support for the status quo over the past few seasons. So maybe it's time for boards to listen to their fans over this.

Thistle and Motherwell can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

Sevconihuns on FB etc calling for their fellow fans to boycott our home game against them. Won't happen, but maybe when the cost of stadium renovation, fumigation and tax are taken into account, there wouldn't be anything like a £230k deprivation to bemoan. The other thing thing they're bellowing about is Motherwell charging them an extra fiver at the gate. That sounds like what we did when the Tims brought their brand of humans to Firhill and we offered our fans a £5 discount voucher or something similar. I could be mistaken, but I'm a strong supporter of, in effect, a Neanderthal tax for both those sets of bigots to set foot inside our stadium.

• Like 1

I don't think the column is too far from the mark. The imbalance of playing 3 games against each team is the issue and we've not exactly been outspoken about this over recent seasons. To focus on the cash benefits gained from the ugly sisters gives them a status and importance that we as fans have rallied against for as long as I can remember.

In my opinion we could have made our argument on the sporting impact of 4 visits to their grounds, which the league has always been keen to balance out evenly.

There is so much wrong with the fixtures that need addressed;

- Celtic given an away game to start off (Champions are always at home) so they can manipulate a home postponement in week 2

- Celtic and Dundee paired on March 17 so a trip to the USA can be facilitated

- Jags & Dundee always on a midweek

- the farce that is Christmas Eve

- far too many midweek matches scheduled

- and of course the OF fixture imbalance

All of this PLUS a New Year bigot brothers match, does anyone foresee a risk of reputational damage from this?, and you have to wonder who is advising these clowns on their public image.

Maybe I am being a little unfair to Maxi here.

The issue of how many guaranteed home fixtures we would have against two particular teams was obviously a major element in the club's budgetting strategy.

We based this on a convention that last operated five seasons ago. With such a major budgetting assumption being involved and with such a large gap since the policy assumed had last been applicable, would it not have been reasonable to approach the SPFL well in advance and ask for confirmation that the previous policy would be re-activated?

Presumably the answer would have been that this could not be guaranteed. We could then have raised the issue at a time when there was still some likelihood that the policy could be reviewed. If the protest was unsuccessful we could then have done an interim budget based on two definite fixtures and increased accordingly if it turned out that we had three or even four home fixtures against the teams in question.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 3