Qots 23/07/2016

Lindau

Great character shown by the guys to come back and win so late on. In all honesty, I thought we were more than a tad fortunate to come off the pitch with maximum points. Still in seasons past this would have been the exact sort of game we'd have lost. As Chris Brookmyre called these League Cup games, hybrid games,I.e. halfway between a friendly and a league game, it's difficult to draw too many conclusions. However, I honestly didn't learn anything I didn't know beforehand and I guess neither did Archie!

Is there a more annoying keeper in Scottish football than that Cnut. Takes an eternity to take goal kicks etc when his team is winning. No surprise when Steve scored he couldn't take them quick enough! Nice to wipe that smug smile off his face at the end! The throw in at the end was a total disgrace. Pretty sure Ziggy would have got sent off if they had scored from it!

• Like 1

Great character shown by the guys to come back and win so late on. In all honesty, I thought we were more than a tad fortunate to come off the pitch with maximum points. Still in seasons past this would have been the exact sort of game we'd have lost. As Chris Brookmyre called these League Cup games, hybrid games,I.e. halfway between a friendly and a league game, it's difficult to draw too many conclusions. However, I honestly didn't learn anything I didn't know beforehand and I guess neither did Archie!

To me only emphasised the fact that we need another central defender in and that in Chris Erskine, we have exactly the type of guy we were crying out for last season. David Amoo was anonymous, Lawless, despite the goal had one of his worst games in a jags jersey. Good to se Callum Booth back to his rampaging best down the left. If we can get another central defender in and some of the long term injuries back, our squad is looking really good! Best news of the day, other than the goals, was that at long bloody last the PA system looks like it's been sorted!

Edited by Lindau

Thought we made enough decent chances (and a few very good ones) to win the game comfortably. However, they hit the frame 3 times, the third being an absolute sitter when they were 1 up. Defence looked a bit dodgy, but that's to be expected at this stage- when they hardly know each other. Thought we were good as an attacking force, particularly first half.

• Like 1

Central defense needs to be better. Devine looked far too casual on several occasions. The performance was a strange mix of good passing and movement and a lot of very ordinary huffing and puffing. We seemed to lack energy for long periods of the game but the new pitch with the grass a bit longer might have had something to do with that.QoS played a high pressing game which we seem to struggle against.

Brilliant block from Ryan Edwards to stop it going 0-2 was vital. Thought Edwards lifted things when he came on.

Pogba is bizarre, he looks, sometimes, completely incapable of heading a ball but still had a hand in both our goals and also had a great clearance right at the end.

A patchy performance but the team dug in and showed a bit of grit to grind out a victory.

An exciting match! Great to get it up them, pleasing :)

Defence is a bit shoddy in all honesty. I am far from impressed with Devine. Seen him for 270 minutes now and he still has to win me over. I think having Osman back will stiffen up our team, it was lacking grit in the middle today.

Wilson was putting in a brilliant performance until he was subbed. This might be his season. Would play him ahead of Welsh when we have more midfielders to choose from.

Erskine is back and it's still the good old version of him. Moments of brilliance and good hard work plus the goal.

Azeez did well, his pace and strength will hassle any defence. He should have done better with just one last defender to beat in the first half though. He did have a couple of good chances so encouraging.

Agree that Edwards lifted the team and think that was the change we needed today to win.

All in all, a good day and a win under our belt.

This was my first game this season. I thought we were well in control of the match in 1st half. Ok - Queens hit the woodwork twice, but both were from long range. They did move the ball about quite nicely but I didn't think they put any pressure on Divine or Lindsay. We created a few decent chances but like last season just couldn't score.

2nd half they scored from their 1st attack. A great ball in from Lyle which is almost impossible to defend. That put us on the back foot until Erskine levelled. From then on, I couldn't see Queens winning in 90 mins. Our pressure told in the end with Lawless popping up with the winner.

Graham had no saves to make

Gordon was decent defensively, but cuts in to cross with his left foot too often

Lindsay and Devine dealt with everything they had to

Booth as has been said was like last season

Welsh was fine too - only got caught a couple of times

Wilson was involved a lot, but needs to improve his distribution

Erskine was in and out of the game but showed some real ability to get past players

Lawless wasn't too great either, but scored the winner

Amoo was poor

Azeez didn't get the right kind of service

I am amazed at some of the over reaction to Wilson. He was ok, nothing better. Looked slow to me and some of his passing was shocking. There has been an improvement from last year but he has a long way to go to have a long career at the club

I really enjoyed the game today. The team showed great determination to get the win.

The gentleman sitting near me had interesting opinions on the players.

Whenever Erskine lost the ball or misplaced the pass, he was unlucky. As was Lawless and Wilson.

But whenever Welsh did the same, he was a wee p***k who could f**k off whenever he wanted.

Just for the record - I thought Welsh had a good game today and hope the knock at the end isn't troublesome.

I really enjoyed the game today. The team showed great determination to get the win.

Whenever Erskine lost the ball or misplaced the pass, he was unlucky. As was Lawless and Wilson.

But whenever Welsh did the same, he was a wee p***k who could f**k off whenever he wanted.

Just for the record - I thought Welsh had a good game today and hope the knock at the end isn't troublesome.

Looked like he might have busted his nose! Agreed, thought Sean was one of our better players today

Edited by Lindau

I heard similar comments today about Welsh, he certainly seems to have his critics. As with most of the team they have their strengths and weaknesses unfortunately for Sean he plays in the engine of the team and is probably on the ball more than most. Therefor he is more likely to misplace a pass or get robbed of the ball which leads to the criticism, you don't often read that he has probably more vision for a pass than most in the team. Whatever you think of him though he never hides which can only be to his credit.

In contrast to Sean though Lawless was awfull today but fortunately for him when he does one good thing in the game it's a goal which blinkers most to the catalogue of misplaced passes.

Agree with earlier comments regarding Robinson everyone wants to win but the cynicism shown by him and Hamill are repugnant. Feel free to correct me if I am being blinkered but I would hate to think I was blind to a Thistle player who systematically cheats the way these two do.

The pitch looked good. The announcer was good. No radio mic problems. The pre match music was better (though not my taste). I liked the playing of Archie's interview over the PA. Altogether very professional. Then the half time draw tickets came out in a cardboard box. Still, on the whole, great progress has been made.

New order and primal scream on playlist! Fab. And no poncey children's music.

Enjoyed the game. I thought Erskine and booth were terrific. Others will come good. Onwards and upwards.

Wilson had some great moments. And a few bad. Once he gains confidence and improves concentration he will be an asset.

And that Robinson is a disgrace.

I heard similar comments today about Welsh, he certainly seems to have his critics. As with most of the team they have their strengths and weaknesses unfortunately for Sean he plays in the engine of the team and is probably on the ball more than most. Therefor he is more likely to misplace a pass or get robbed of the ball which leads to the criticism, you don't often read that he has probably more vision for a pass than most in the team. Whatever you think of him though he never hides which can only be to his credit. In contrast to Sean though Lawless was awfull today but fortunately for him when he does one good thing in the game it's a goal which blinkers most to the catalogue of misplaced passes. Agree with earlier comments regarding Robinson everyone wants to win but the cynicism shown by him and Hamill are repugnant. Feel free to correct me if I am being blinkered but I would hate to think I was blind to a Thistle player who systematically cheats the way these two do.

Sean Welsh was ok today, however he does not have any more vision for a pass than anyone else in and around that area of the team I'm afraid. He is robbed of the ball frequently and misplaces passes because he dwells on it too long a lot, taking three touches when one and a pass is easily on. I will agree with you and give him his due in that he never hides though.

You're also correct about Hamill and it was most pleasing to see him slink off at the end without so much as a glance to the JHS after his time-wasting, ear-cupping antics.

Just happy to get the result as I felt the one extra competitive game that QoS had made it a very even match. Perhaps the lack of fitness in our wide areas contributed.

I suppose I should be quite surprised to already read so many definitive opinions about our players when we're barely three quarters way thru July. Then again what's surprising, or new for that matter, about posters on here jumping the gun?

Despite being watered I thought the pitch played rather slow. Nothing unusual about that except in previous seasons we'd be playing a friendly in July. Imagine it'll be a lot slicker by the time ICT visit.

• Like 2

Enjoyed the game -

with the chances at both ends in the first half and some sublime play by big Squiddy,

the downer of losing the first goal,

the long slog where Queens seemed to be in the ascendancy,

the joy of the equaliser

and the euphoria of the late, late winner and seeing Robinson's wee grumpy face. :fan:

The new announcer is great, but could slow down his delivery a bit, the PA sounds sharp and clear, which is good...

BUT WAY TOO LOUD for this old duffer's ears.

Please turn it down below 11, especially before the game, so that we can talk to our pals without screaming.

If I wanted a full-blast disco experience I'd go to Joanna's or Clatty Pat's.....if any of them still exist...young people nowadays

....nurse is it time for my medication...... :crazy:

• Like 1

Azeez in nowhere good enough for this level, the back post miss together with his ball watching ability, when he should be stuck in, just summed him up. I think Wilson can make it, he played well but he must take more responsibility in front of goal and have the knackers to have a shot, when bearing down on goal the last thing he needs is a pointless ball out to the wing. The most unlikely combination to win the game, Pogba who in all fairness is mince, heads the ball to Lawless who was by a country mile playing mince, and bang, there you go game over.

We are crying out for a experienced centre, someone to settle Lindsay and help him out, and a proven goal scorer, cuz its just not there for Azeez.

Finally if that throw in at the end had lead to a goal, there would have been more than just that wee boy on the park........

Azeez in nowhere good enough for this level, the back post miss together with his ball watching ability, when he should be stuck in, just summed him up. I think Wilson can make it, he played well but he must take more responsibility in front of goal and have the knackers to have a shot, when bearing down on goal the last thing he needs is a pointless ball out to the wing. The most unlikely combination to win the game, Pogba who in all fairness is mince, heads the ball to Lawless who was by a country mile playing mince, and bang, there you go game over.

We are crying out for a experienced centre, someone to settle Lindsay and help him out, and a proven goal scorer, cuz its just not there for Azeez.

Finally if that throw in at the end had lead to a goal, there would have been more than just that wee boy on the park........

Mmmm, you have given Azeez 25 minutes against Airdrie and about 60 minutes against QOTS then decided he is not good enough? Nurse!! For me anyway, he gives us a very different option from Dools and Poggers.

• Like 2

Yesterday's game was the first I've got to and it has left me in two minds about the merits of the new league cup set up. There was a lot of the competitiveness you would expect but the fitness and sharpness are not there yet. It will be interesting to see how the early start impacts on injury lists at the start of the league campaigns.