Aberdeen Vs Partick Thistle 20/08/2016

jagfox

If ever there was a game we should not be behind in its this one. Have had 2/3 gilt edged chances and took none of them. Aberdeen, get 1 free kick in range and McGinn buries it, albeit with a fair degree of aplomb.

To be honest we played much worse than this against ICT and won!

For second half I'd have lLawless off, not his day really. Otherwise wer're playngwell!

If ever there was a game we should not be behind in its this one. Have had 2/3 gilt edged chances and took none of them. Aberdeen, get 1 free kick in range and McGinn buries it, albeit with a fair degree of aplomb. To be honest we played much worse than this against ICT and won! For second half I'd have lLawless off, not his day really. Otherwise wer're playngwell!

Can't agree. Aberdeen have had the better of the play and have looked dangerous despite not creating guilt-edged chances: Cerny had two good saves. We've only threatened on occasion and ... they've just scored again to prove my point. I think our tactics were wrong. Long ball doesn't suit us and we created little ... we can defend just as well playing our passing game - and you give the ball away less if you do that properly. Game over now and all that remains is keeping the score down. Too negative which encourages a team like Aberdeen.

Stunning goal from Erskine and a great knock down from Doolan...begs the question "why didn't at least one of them start?" I think Archie is a very good and very under-rated manager, but some of his lineup's and decisions can be absolutely perplexing and today is an example of that. Erskine by far our best player this season.

• Like 1

Wasn't at the game today but watched it on a dodgy Internet connection , agree with one of the previous posters why leave 2 of your goal threats on the bench , I probably would have started with Erskine instead of Lawless. Everyone knows about the physicality of this Aberdeen team yet Archie starts with Welsh , Lawless and Ryan Edwards.?

Big Liam's mistake has to be seen to be believed , it's got nothing to do with age if a schoolboy had made that mistake he would get slaughtered. I've got no idea why a defence that for most of last season was pretty tight was disbanded at such speed to be replaced at this moment with a much inferior one and IMO won't cut it in the SPFL.

Hopefully Archie has got something up his sleeve or it's going to be a long season.

I agree with the sentiment that Erskine should have started, although I can appreciate why Archie might have thought Edwards a nice alternative in a game like this, as Edwards never stops running and harrying the opposition, and when you expect a team like Aberdeen to have more of the ball, it makes sense to have a better off-the-ball worker on the field. But I'd have sacrificed Lawless instead, as Erskine has had a better start to the season than him.

Azeez most likely chosen due to being a more physical player than Doolan. I thought he held it up relatively well and got into decent positions and don't have a problem with that change.

On the train back home and I have the following observations:

1) we started quite well and, on hindsight if we had had Erskine's cleverness then we might have made something of it.

2) the free kick McGinn scored from was a cracker but the foul it was given for looked weak, the guy fell over Osman

3) we looked weaker and weaker as the game went in, not so much passing badly as being weak in possession and losing the ball easily.

4) the second goal was awful and it appeared as if there was a pass back to Cerny and Lindsay was in the way and intercepted it and then lost the ball when it wasn't meant for him in the first place and it would have gone to the goalie if Liam had left it.

5) Erskine looked a different league when he came on and his goal was in the net before anybody noticed.

6) Osman looked as if he was crocked at the tackle the sheep got upset at and seemed to hirple thereafter.

7) we were magnificent for the last few minutes and COULD have stolen a point.

8) Welsh' s booking looked soft and he complained to Beaton who took the opportunity to follow the new rules to a tee and send him off.

9) Beaton gave them everything in the first half but was better after the break.

I have some fears about facing the happy Hearts next week.

Archie's negativity rears it's ugly head when we play the big teams = 36 points dropped. Discuss. I wasn't at the game so would be pleased to be advised otherwise. But not playing Erskine was nonsensical.

Beaton is the worst ref in Scotland amongst a pile of awful refs.

We certainly looked better when we attacked them. I asked Archie at the Meet the Manager thing if we would be less timid against more formidable teams and though, initially, he didn't agree we were, he grudgingly conceded that we might be after saying that we had not been negative in the 2-1.reverse against the sheep at home last season. I would agree with that but against Hearts twice we didn't turn up and same against Celtic though we battled at Parkhead when their 10 men won late on.

I would ask the question what have we got to lose? All we have to show is defeat after defeat except for the draw against the Dons. And the likes of ICT, Ross County and certainly St Johnstone have done much better against the "better teams" ( and we have another one this season to play three times.)

It can't be beyond our wit to devise some sort of attacking plan that might garner SOME points rather than the anaemic efforts we have had in the last couple of seasons.

If we can beat the Saints three times surely we can get some points off the big four? And if it doesn't work it's only the same defeat we've been getting consistently anyway.

On the train back home and I have the following observations:

1) we started quite well and, on hindsight if we had had Erskine's cleverness then we might have made something of it.

2) the free kick McGinn scored from was a cracker but the foul it was given for looked weak, the guy fell over Osman

3) we looked weaker and weaker as the game went in, not so much passing badly as being weak in possession and losing the ball easily.

4) the second goal was awful and it appeared as if there was a pass back to Cerny and Lindsay was in the way and intercepted it and then lost the ball when it wasn't meant for him in the first place and it would have gone to the goalie if Liam had left it.

5) Erskine looked a different league when he came on and his goal was in the net before anybody noticed.

6) Osman looked as if he was crocked at the tackle the sheep got upset at and seemed to hirple thereafter.

7) we were magnificent for the last few minutes and COULD have stolen a point.

8) Welsh' s booking looked soft and he complained to Beaton who took the opportunity to follow the new rules to a tee and send him off.

9) Beaton gave them everything in the first half but was better after the break.

I have some fears about facing the happy Hearts next week.

3 and 7 contradict each other.

just back from Aberdeen, quite disappointing! thought we could have got something from that.

They were defo there for the taking, despite what willie miller said!

Once again though, wee Stevie manages to stay on for 90 mins! Dools and Erskine should have been on sooner.

and yes Welsh got what he deserved under this new rule, but we'll see how consistent refs are in applying it!

Barton and Brown will surely be exempt??