Dan Does A Conrad

jagfox

If I thought he was going to continue getting away with his aggressive defending then I might miss him. When Liam does the same he inevitably gets punished whereas Dan would manage to con the ref. Gut feeling is Seaborne would be more liable this season but we'll see.

I'd rather have had Dan back than Balatoni but in reality we really need a player with the presence of Seaborne and the distribution and attacking ability of Conrad. Archie's always said he tries to replace departing players with at least their equal. I don't think there's too much to worry about re Devine with Frans. Lindsay will I'm sure keep improving but it will be interesting to see whether Archie sees Liam as now better than Seaborne or bring in someone who clearly is.

From a priority point of view there might of course be a swing in emphasis away from central defence to central midfield as neither Bannigan or Fraser are likely to feature much this season.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

First priority is a centre half: we've seen how the team performed when Lindsay was out - we vitally need that back up. If the manager thinks we need extra cover for the defensive midfield then a loan player could be brought in: ATM I think Wilson and Edwards would do OK in an emergency (Edwards less so, he's better further forward) but it depends how long Fraser is going to be out - we know Bannigan will be out most of the season but I don't think I've heard how long Fraser's expected to be out.

I don't get this at all . I thought he did a great job for us and was key for us developing a decent defensive record last year. I wonder why if the India deal fell through why we didnt want him back ?

My view is that Cerny and Osman were the real key figures in our defensive record last season. No way do I mean to devalue Seaborne's input as he's one of the best left sided defenders we've had for years. Difficult to compare with Archie himself as our manager by and large played against lesser competition in that position.

I just don't feel we can belittle the importance of distribution and building from the back, two qualities with which Dan fell short. Put in a very simplistic way, but still often overlooked, you can be a proficient defender but if all you do is invite more attack thru those two failings you really have to be a better than just proficient.

• Like 1

I guess I was thinking in this league the most important qualities of a centre back are dominant in the air and decent experienced defending which I think dan brought to the team.

Archie can't therefore rate him that highly and reckons we could get better or do you think Hamilton were able to meet his wage demands?

Ultimately Archie has to build a squad within his budget, he judged Dan wasn't value and let him move on, however unless Hamilton have still offered more than Archie was prepared to I find today's turn of events hard to fathom.

Without argument our defence last year not only kept us in the league but pushed us close to the top six. Dan was integral to that, and so far albeit early in the season we are a poorer defensive unit than last year. Adding Dan back in would make us much better and provide the required number of personnel for sufficient cover as we are short in this area.

Hopefully there is a better replacement on route otherwise we may regret not persuading Dan to sign on again.

Archie can't therefore rate him that highly and reckons we could get better or do you think Hamilton were able to meet his wage demands?

No idea but it's hard to imagine how Seaborne can put a positive spin on this career move.

Obvious parallel with Gordon coming to us due to a long term injury to one of our players. Tena gets badly crocked and Accies need to bring in a replacement. Both Seaborne & Ziggy were anticipating finding employment further afield. i certainly believe we're the luckier of two clubs but Accies still look like they've done a good deal.

• Like 1

No idea but it's hard to imagine how Seaborne can put a positive spin on this career move.

Obvious parallel with Gordon coming to us due to a long term injury to one of our players. Tena gets badly crocked and Accies need to bring in a replacement. Both Seaborne & Ziggy were anticipating finding employment further afield. i certainly believe we're the luckier of two clubs but Accies still look like they've done a good deal.

Not sure I agree we got the better end of this trade, haven't seen anything in Ziggy other than his communication skills to get excited about as a right back and dread any need to draft him in again as a replacement centre half. Can't help but feel we would be far better off if both had stayed put.

Edited by Metz

As I understand it, they were not dumped. Frans was offered a deal he didn't like and returned home to Belgium.

Seaborne thought he was better off somewhere else.

Players come and go Barney. Settle down - it's only the 2nd game of the season. Give them time.

Really not happy with what has happened with Seabourne and Frans being dumped.

Devine and Lindsay are certainly not an upgrade as a pairing.

I was never convinced by the Frans/Seaborne pairing but I think it's right when talking centrebacks to talk about the whole rather then the sum of the parts.

As Big Col says it's early days yet besides I thought the unit played well enough today just marred by a dreadful individual mistake. Devine was good today. Certainly playing better than Frans did on average.

I was never convinced by the Frans/Seaborne pairing but I think it's right when talking centrebacks to talk about the whole rather then the sum of the parts.

As Big Col says it's early days yet besides I thought the unit played well enough today just marred by a dreadful individual mistake. Devine was good today. Certainly playing better than Frans did on average.

OK, thanks for a sensible contribution.

I'm quite happy with the look of Devine so far. Could prove to be an astute signing. Lindsay was doing fine as well up until his error on Saturday.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen when we bring in another centre half.

I'm quite happy with the look of Devine so far. Could prove to be an astute signing. Lindsay was doing fine as well up until his error on Saturday.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen when we bring in another centre half.

Reckon a lot's dependent on the guy's size and presence. The Gordon/Devine pairing looked just too lightweight. We know Ziggy has been successful playing centreback but perhaps that was in a three at the back formation or alongside a bigger more imposing centreback. I'd take Syme out the equation for now and that means we've in essence only got two pairings, Devine/Lindsay or Gordon/Lindsay. Obvious then that it's Lindsay we need cover for or to replace as first choice. Just as obvious the guy in question should be comfortable on the left side of defence and be at least the physical match of Lindsay.