Partick Thistle Vs Heart Of Midlothian

jagfox

To be fair it was a bit of a boot in the baws - I made a sharp exit from the JHS.

Yip, we did as well....it was a severe boot in the Bobby Laws! The fans played their part yesterday, even in the JHS. The red/yellow army chant that lasted for ages from both stands with about 15 minutes to go was great!

What I found odd about the Pogba substitution yesterday was that he introduced at a stage when our strategy appeared to be to hit them on the counter-attack. And we looked dangerous in this respect. Now, irrespective of your views on Pogba's overall ability, it's difficult to make an argument that he's got the pace to contribute to such an approach. I suppose if Doolan and Azeez were knackered, Archie's got to bring someone on, but it did strike me as an odd choice at the time. I'd have been tempted to put Elliot up top, even if he hasn't played there in a few seasons.

• Like 2

Just seen the goals on Goals on Sunday. First two were very similar with Paterson out jumping Liam and vice versa for our goal. Now clear that Cerny was impeded by one of our players and that he didn't cover himself in glory getting beat at his near post though I think Calum Booth could have stopped the ball getting through to Watt.

Pogba coming on changed the whole dynamics of the game and resulted in more pressure being humped on to the defence as the ball wasn't sticking up front. I honestly think he looks slimmer in appearance from last season however that hasn't added to his pace (non existent) or being able to jump. When Nesbit comes back I think we should offer a settlement on his (Pogba) contract. Must say I was again impressed with Azeez yesterday. If he can get a run in the team I am sure the goals will come!

• Like 1

I can't defend Pogba either yesterday or too often to be honest. Should point out tho' he has been effective coming on at times, most notably last season at home against Motherwell and away to Aberdeen. Perhaps the fact he can be effective, but too often fails to, makes things worse. I assume Archie introduced Pogba to hold the ball up and to lay off to the likes of Erskine and Lawless or someone arriving late like Booth. Totally backfired and as Lindau says it changed the whole dynamics of the game.

With scoring midfielders like Erskine and Lawless do we really need four strikers? In my mind Doolan, Azeez and Nisbet between them offer enough. Dools as main striker needs subbing later on in a game or rested occasionally and come on as sub after an hour or so. Azeez hasn't the control to do what Pogba is supposed to be doing (tho' he'd still have been better yesterday). Ade could be used as a sub when we're chasing a game, a starter when Dools is rested or like yesterday starting alongside Doolan. Nisbet is strong, not bad at holding the ball up (bound to get better) but unlike Pogba, has a bit of pace. Think he'd be useful coming on to see a game out.

Perhaps it's a case of wait to January. Till then either hope Pogba can do even the minimum of what he's supposed to do or use him as little as possible.

btw I don't like to comment on players I only see on telly, in this case Hutton, but Paterson looks a much better bet for Scotland. Both play high up the park but Paterson can defend and looks to me to have the edge from an attacking point of view, something that's always been Hutton's strong point.

I can't defend Pogba either yesterday or too often to be honest. Should point out tho' he has been effective coming on at times, most notably last season at home against Motherwell and away to Aberdeen. Perhaps the fact he can be effective, but too often fails to, makes things worse. I assume Archie introduced Pogba to hold the ball up and to lay off to the likes of Erskine and Lawless or someone arriving late like Booth. Totally backfired and as Lindau says it changed the whole dynamics of the game.

With scoring midfielders like Erskine and Lawless do we really need four strikers? In my mind Doolan, Azeez and Nisbet between them offer enough. Dools as main striker needs subbing later on in a game or rested occasionally and come on as sub after an hour or so. Azeez hasn't the control to do what Pogba is supposed to be doing (tho' he'd still have been better yesterday). Ade could be used as a sub when we're chasing a game, a starter when Dools is rested or like yesterday starting alongside Doolan. Nisbet is strong, not bad at holding the ball up (bound to get better) but unlike Pogba, has a bit of pace. Think he'd be useful coming on to see a game out.

Agree entirely on both points!

Perhaps it's a case of wait to January. Till then either hope Pogba can do even the minimum of what he's supposed to do or use him as little as possible.

btw I don't like to comment on players I only see on telly, in this case Hutton, but Paterson looks a much better bet for Scotland. Both play high up the park but Paterson can defend and looks to me to have the edge from an attacking point of view, something that's always been Hutton's strong point.

What I found odd about the Pogba substitution yesterday was that he introduced at a stage when our strategy appeared to be to hit them on the counter-attack. And we looked dangerous in this respect. Now, irrespective of your views on Pogba's overall ability, it's difficult to make an argument that he's got the pace to contribute to such an approach. I suppose if Doolan and Azeez were knackered, Archie's got to bring someone on, but it did strike me as an odd choice at the time. I'd have been tempted to put Elliot up top, even if he hasn't played there in a few seasons.

Agree with the spirit of this post, although I was expecting Wilson to come on rather than Elliot. Wilson gets up and down the pitch very well and covers a lot of ground, so is ideal when the game is stretched.

Just my tuppence worth. I thought ziggy had the best game I've seen for us yesterday, pelting up the wing when possible and I thought he marked Nicholson well who's a tricky player and one of hearts 'creative outlets'. He does however lack the ability to get back and leaves us exposed at times. There was a point after about 40 mins where he strode part Chris Erskine breaking forward and I couldnt decide if ziggys getting faster or Erskine was blowing out of his erse. Into the second half I think Erskine looked done in so it must have been the latter but even thought Chris was tired he still looked the most likely to create something so Archie I think was right to keep him on.

Looking at the hearts team I thought Sammon was excellent, big and strong and held the ball up well, but needs a poacher beside him to bang in the knock downs and tony watt in the first half was excellent. As mentioned Paterson is a excellent player despite the moron in the jhs who decided to shout random abuse at him saying he wasnae worth a tenner. I'll have a pint of what he's having before the saints game please.

When you look at the shots stats you realise how many stops cerny made so I don't think I could blame him too much for the winner, gutting though it was.

Edited by kennymac29

Going a bit off topic I'd have Paterson ahead of Hutton. He looks to be the future. I thought Souttar and the young keeper looked promising too. On our side I'm still confused why Lindsay is not in the U21 squad.

had the conversation watching the game yesterday with my dad, where i said if i was Gordon Strachan, Alan Hutton's Scotland career would be at an end now, go with Paterson who as I said further up the thread is the most complete full back in the country