Motherwell 24/09/16

Lindau

Im fed up hearing it. Ye make yer own luck. Wen yer one on one wae a keeper an your a striker its **** all to do with 'luck'. Ye still never told me how he wis 'excellent'. I wid sack him but neither should archie have signed him never mind on a 2 year deal. I wonder if his agent showed him a video of all his goals that came off his erse

I'll indulge since you clearly weren't at Firhill, the lad worked his socks off chasing down the back four and keeper forcing them into countless errors that took the pressure of the defence.

He held up the ball very well and linked others into play that created several openings and chances that on another day would have resulted in a comfortable win. Yes he needs to do better with his chances and ultimately he may not be good enough as he has to score if he is the main striker. In a one of game like today you cannot deny the quality he brought to the game and dismiss it for a couple of missed chances.

• Like 1

So you're obviously one of the blinkered people and he can do no wrong in your eyes.

Where did I say he's holding us back? Where did I suggest something needs to be done?

I don't really understand why you're getting all upset at someone opining that he made a mistake with the subs. Unless of course you don't think he did.

Why not debate about the game rather than trying to start an argument about something that wasn't even said.

Not blinkered in the slightest if you recall you made the comment about being blinkered.

Don't try and retract your view when you are called out, someone who is just expressing an opinion doesn't make reference to blinkered views about the manager.

If you want to discuss the game then fine, why do you see the substitution as a negative one? He replaced Erskine with Edwards who it could be argued was more offensive on the day. He replaced Edwards with Welsh in one of the two sitting roles which Welsh is well suited at so where was the negativity in that selection? And more importantly who do you think he should have brought on and how they should have adapted to the change?

Not blinkered in the slightest if you recall you made the comment about being blinkered.

Don't try and retract your view when you are called out, someone who is just expressing an opinion doesn't make reference to blinkered views about the manager.

If you want to discuss the game then fine, why do you see the substitution as a negative one? He replaced Erskine with Edwards who it could be argued was more offensive on the day. He replaced Edwards with Welsh in one of the two sitting roles which Welsh is well suited at so where was the negativity in that selection? And more importantly who do you think he should have brought on and how they should have adapted to the change?

okay - one final time. By blinkered, I meant that some folk don't think the manager should ever be criticised at all. They think he can do no wrong. I do not agree with their view. The players and management are open to criticism in my opinion.

Is that clear enough for you? Do you not think that we are entitled to criticise them?

So glad you finally moved onto the game. You sound like you were at the game so surely you must agree that our attack was blunted somewhat when Welsh came on. How many chances were created after that sub? we started moving deeper and deeper and all the good work we had was undone. Thankfully we got a point out of it.

Fwiw, I would have brought on Doolan instead of Welsh and gone for the win, because Motherwell were there for the taking. We had been playing good positive football and we should have had 3 points.

Edited by Big Col

I'll indulge since you clearly weren't at Firhill, the lad worked his socks off chasing down the back four and keeper forcing them into countless errors that took the pressure of the defence.

He held up the ball very well and linked others into play that created several openings and chances that on another day would have resulted in a comfortable win. Yes he needs to do better with his chances and ultimately he may not be good enough as he has to score if he is the main striker. In a one of game like today you cannot deny the quality he brought to the game and dismiss it for a couple of missed chances.

I wis there ya clown. As i said, ye can muscle an run aw day but if ye dont know wit a fitbaw is, yer no a footballer. If yer gonnae 'indulge' folk, make sure ye understand the point of the game, yer striker scores goals, no run aboot daft. As far as i seen he wis culpable today. We cant rely on our defence cos clearly we cant keep a clean sheet. I had high hopes for him and have gave him the benefit of the doubt but it was on a plate fir him the day an he cant do it. Anyway, its gone noo so we better hope fir a better result next week then with hamilton and ross county at home, we need to start winning games

I wis there ya clown. As i said, ye can muscle an run aw day but if ye dont know wit a fitbaw is, yer no a footballer. If yer gonnae 'indulge' folk, make sure ye understand the point of the game, yer striker scores goals, no run aboot daft. As far as i seen he wis culpable today. We cant rely on our defence cos clearly we cant keep a clean sheet. I had high hopes for him and have gave him the benefit of the doubt but it was on a plate fir him the day an he cant do it. Anyway, its gone noo so we better hope fir a better result next week then with hamilton and ross county at home, we need to start winning games

My apologies I didn't realise English wasn't your first language. For our recently immigrated fan base thanks for choosing the Jags as your "local" team. We don't have Suarez or Messi as our front two but what we do have is guys that care and work their socks off. If that's not enough thanks for tuning in but we are not the team for you.

• Like 1

okay - one final time. By blinkered, I meant that some folk don't think the manager should ever be criticised at all. They think he can do no wrong. I do not agree with their view. The players and management are open to criticism in my opinion.

Is that clear enough for you? Do you not think that we are entitled to criticise them?

So glad you finally moved onto the game. You sound like you were at the game so surely you must agree that our attack was blunted somewhat when Welsh came on. How many chances were created after that sub? we started moving deeper and deeper and all the good work we had was undone. Thankfully we got a point out of it.

Fwiw, I would have brought on Doolan instead of Welsh and gone for the win, because Motherwell were there for the taking. We had been playing good positive football and we should have had 3 points.

Why are you concerned about who criticises the manager unless you want to? If you do what do you feel he should be criticised for?

I take it you feel Welsh's introduction stifled our attacking options?

What time was Welsh introduced?

Is it not possible introducing Doolan would have resulted in a loss as we woul have invited a strong Well team onto us?

Yip, I share your frustration and maybe there is something in the mindset that needs addressing. Either that or we have a fitness problem which doesn't appear to be the case. We were very good in spells and need to make sure we can get the goals we deserve at the time. 1-0 is a fragile lead at the best of times. A win against rangers will put us back on track.

I fully expect us to fold against them.

Disappointing as the finishing of Azeez was, and not getting any of those chances on target was very disappointing, we also have to acknowledge the role he played in creating them. The knock down to Erskine was the creative spark that allowed the first 1 on 1 to happen. His running off the ball and his pace put him in position to receive the ball for the other chances. If Dools had been on in his place those chances wouldn't have occurred in the same way, it's too simplistic to say if Doolan was on he'd have scored them.

• Like 3

Is it not possible introducing Doolan would have resulted in a loss as we woul have invited a strong Well team onto us?

Bringing Welsh on brought a strong 'Well team onto us.There is a time and a place for Welsh and that wasn't it.

Iv'e not been impressed by Archies subs this season at all.

Also I agree with Clydebank Jag's post about Azeez above. It's a fine line in Football.If he had put one chance in we would all be raving about his performance. He's young and needs encouraged to work every day on his finishing . I fully expect him to start the next game although Dools should have been on much earlier.

I remember Dools missing one on one against Hibs a couple of seasons ago but a few games later he buried similar chances. Lets hope Azeez responds as well.

• Like 1

My apologies I didn't realise English wasn't your first language. For our recently immigrated fan base thanks for choosing the Jags as your "local" team. We don't have Suarez or Messi as our front two but what we do have is guys that care and work their socks off. If that's not enough thanks for tuning in but we are not the team for you.

And there ye have it, the acceptance that average is good enough. Its no wonder we cant even take a point off the old firm never mind going on a cup run. Someone else said something along the lines of its been the same for 40 years. There is no doubt the club is going in the right direction but to settle for guisers like azeez is shameful. We should be hoping that when we sign a striker he can least hit the target. What summed him up yesterday was in the 1st hauf in front of the NS, he got the ball to the bye line and flicked the ball at the keeper, it was as though he had never kicked a ball before with his left foot. If Archie gave me a strip yesterday i would "care and run my socks off" however ye need a bit of quality, and for the top flight in Scotland im afraid he doesn't have it. Id love him to prove me wrong, he still has the best part of 2 years to do so.

Disappointing as the finishing of Azeez was, and not getting any of those chances on target was very disappointing, we also have to acknowledge the role he played in creating them. The knock down to Erskine was the creative spark that allowed the first 1 on 1 to happen. His running off the ball and his pace put him in position to receive the ball for the other chances. If Dools had been on in his place those chances wouldn't have occurred in the same way, it's too simplistic to say if Doolan was on he'd have scored them.

I agree about Azeez and if he'd converted one of his chances, he'd probably have been MotM.

I don't think Welsh replaced Erskine position wise. Edwards took on the Erskine role, but losing our most influential player impacted on the team.

I think Barton looks good, great touch, gets the ball away from his feet quickly allowing space for a pass, and his first touch is lovely. I'd go so far to say Osman was not really missed yesterday. And the run which set up Ade is not something I think I'll see Abdul do this season.

We should have won the game, came close to losing it. But Motherwell, although not great to watch, are effective and did finish 4th last season. But they are nowhere the fiootball team Thistle are. I expect 3 points next week.

1) you quoted archie sayin the baw has tae scud aff his erse to score, thats a ****** ridiculous thing to say. He a professional footballer no less, he should be able to produce a bit of quality. Tell ye wit, you tell me wit he gave us today, wit did u see from your hospitality seat with yer well chums? Ill tell ye wit a seen, he wis 2nd to every baw, kept waiting fir it coming thetefore losing the baw. Granted the service at times in the first hauf wis also poor but he has to do better. Usain bolt wid muscle folk aboot nae bother but like a said, azeez might be an athlete but hes no footballer

Archie, saying, ball, to, off, arse, that's, he's, you, what, what, what, you, your, I'll, you, what, I, was, ball, for, therefore, ball, half, was, Bolt, would, about, no, I, Azeez, he's.

Here to help.

• Like 2

Why are you concerned about who criticises the manager unless you want to? If you do what do you feel he should be criticised for?

I take it you feel Welsh's introduction stifled our attacking options?

When Erskine came off we were still well in control of the game. Bringing on Doolan would not have harmed us defensively; it would just mean Azeez dropping back either to Erskine's position or bringing Lawless in behind Doolan.

Agree with what you're saying re Azeez but he doesn't look like a natural goal scorer to me and his goal scoring record over the last few years shows that roughly (1 goal in every 5 games ) so I would expect him at best to score 5/6 goals this season.

He will cause teams problems with his power and pace but I'm not sure if that's enough at this level unless someone is playing off him to capitalise on the chances made.

Got to say Archie's subs yesterday were bordering on the ridiculous yesterday putting Welsh on for Erskine absolutely invited Motherwell onto us and putting Doolan on with 2 mins to go was an absolute nonsense .

• Like 2

Only read some of the posts made so far but disagree strongly with what I have read.

Azeez has trouble finishing, yes, but apart from that I thought he was excellent. Erskine, Edwards & Elliott also excellent with Amoo also having a good game. Thought Barton was decent enough, maybe a bit light in the tackle but was in the right positions when required, slotted in to CB if one of the defenders got pulled out of position & looked comfortable on the ball.

If we play like that on a regular basis we will be fine.

Totally agree.

If Azeez could finish like Doolan we'd never have been able to sign him. It shouldn't come as too much a surprise that if Lyle Taylor was regularly picked ahead of Azeez at Wimbledon that Ade could never be described as a natural goalscorer. He's every bit as strong and fast as Taylor (probably stronger and faster) and the one thing that Taylor could never be described as is a good finisher. I'd like to think that with hard work and the confidence of having even scored a couple of tap ins that the lad will improve.

Strange in a way that I'd be close to choosing Christie as MotM but at the same time Booth (going on his showing last week) imo was a huge loss. Finally I'm not saying the goal we conceded wasn't bad defending but I'll remember the game only for the missed opportunities in front of goal.

• Like 1

A lot of positives to take from yesterday. I thought the first 45 was the quickest, most entertaining football we have played, in a very long time. It was a joy to watch. It was clear that it stemmed from the midfield pairing of Barton and Edwards. They absolutely bossed the middle of the park. Ironically, it was the second 45 which brought us more chances on goal.

Scully looked assured, bossed his 6 yard box and committed to coming for and claiming cross balls. Two outstanding saves in the second half. Boy, does he deserve a clean sheet!

Words can't describe Elliott's contribution yesterday. For his first game back, his level of fitness was incredible. So tough in the tackle! But also knowledgable enough to know when to just boss someone off the ball. Linked up well with Lawless going forward.

However, on the other side Gordon is really struggling to find the form everyone knows he is capable of. I don't know what it is, but there's something missing.

In the middle Lindsay and Devine looked composed for the majority of the time. Devine was really comfortable on the ball and Liam kept it simple. With time they will grow in confidence. I commented yesterday. I just want them to do the Bruce/Pallister job. Keep it simple.

In front of them Barton and Edwards were immense. Edwards especially. He was everywhere doing all the donkey work for Barton. His energy drove us forward. A big difference to what we are used to. Regards Barton, all the folk who have spent the last couple of weeks greeting, why sign someone and not play him, it was obvious why he hadn't featured. He's not match fit. But on yesterday's evidence, we have got a gifted player once he is fit. So comfortable on the ball. I would have no concerns about the pair of them being our first choice pairing.

I've been a big critic of Lawless, probably since we got promoted, but yesterday he offered so much defensively, dropping back to left wing back when Elliott tucked inside, covering their right backs runs.

Erskine is Erskine, the guy is just a joy to watch.

Amoo is slowly getting back to last seasons form, first half I thought he was brilliant, but seemed to fade in the second.

azeez, what can you say. The big man offers a completely different option to what we have had before. Probably the player Archie has been looking for, but struggled to find since Craig left the club. He caused so many problems for their defence, with him and Erskine chasing down their back four, forcing them into mistakes. Like v St Johnstone, he was winning us throw ins up at their 18 yard box, from nothing. Essential to take the pressure off our defence. I'm willing to say every chance he had yesterday was from his own hard work. So he missed them, life's too short to worry about that. The fact that he gets himself into these positions and offers so much between the half way line and 18 yard line means we only have one thing to work on, his finishing. Get that and we have two fantastic options up front.

It's disappointing to see some of the comments on here regards Azeez, we really have some short sighted folk in our support. It seems we are far to quick to pass judgement and give some players absolutely no chance to settle at a new club, in a new city, and get themselves up to full fitness. The game is littered with players who don't hit the ground running. Some of our fans inability to recognise any positives is disappointing. But it just reflects poorly on them, rather than the player the slate.

I think the right sub was not Welsh, yesterday. I'd have brought on McDaid and moved Amoo into the middle. From what I hear McDaid is showing up well in the reserves. It would have maintained the same style and shape that had been working. Welsh's introduction slowed the pace of the game. It's also worth noting that Barton became more involved in everything, as Welsh wasn't offering anywhere near the same effectiveness as Edwards had, before him, in that position.

Based on yesterday's performance we have nothing to fear going to Ibrox, I'd love us to keep the same 11, and maintain the same pace.

• Like 6

As I said previously, Pogba & Azeez, enthusiastic as they seem they are not at professional footballers. its the same clowns who sang the praises of Piccollo. who still cant face the fact that they are Nae use.

Agents have Fcuked the game there's no doubt. but to continue to play Azeez draws me to the conclusion that perhaps agents are handing in "Brown envelops" to ensure their client gets a game.

Azeez, for those who were at Airdrie, one on one with the keeper bad miss. the game was over, who cares.......

Azeez, last minutes Kilmarnock. bearing down on the keeper poor miss. two points dropped..........

Azeez, yesterday Falling over to get freekicks, multitude of horrendous misses. two point dropped...........

Doolan, as the only recognised goal scorer at Firhill would perhaps have got us two. My advice to Dools is get yer agent to drop Arch a wee brown envelop now and again.

The substitution of Lawless was long over due, give yourself a wee gold star Archie........

A lot of positives to take from yesterday. I thought the first 45 was the quickest, most entertaining football we have played, in a very long time. It was a joy to watch. It was clear that it stemmed from the midfield pairing of Barton and Edwards. They absolutely bossed the middle of the park. Ironically, it was the second 45 which brought us more chances on goal.

Scully looked assured, bossed his 6 yard box and committed to coming for and claiming cross balls. Two outstanding saves in the second half. Boy, does he deserve a clean sheet!

Words can't describe Elliott's contribution yesterday. For his first game back, his level of fitness was incredible. So tough in the tackle! But also knowledgable enough to know when to just boss someone off the ball. Linked up well with Lawless going forward.

However, on the other side Gordon is really struggling to find the form everyone knows he is capable of. I don't know what it is, but there's something missing.

In the middle Lindsay and Devine looked composed for the majority of the time. Devine was really comfortable on the ball and Liam kept it simple. With time they will grow in confidence. I commented yesterday. I just want them to do the Bruce/Pallister job. Keep it simple.

In front of them Barton and Edwards were immense. Edwards especially. He was everywhere doing all the donkey work for Barton. His energy drove us forward. A big difference to what we are used to. Regards Barton, all the folk who have spent the last couple of weeks greeting, why sign someone and not play him, it was obvious why he hadn't featured. He's not match fit. But on yesterday's evidence, we have got a gifted player once he is fit. So comfortable on the ball. I would have no concerns about the pair of them being our first choice pairing.

I've been a big critic of Lawless, probably since we got promoted, but yesterday he offered so much defensively, dropping back to left wing back when Elliott tucked inside, covering their right backs runs.

Amoo is slowly getting back to last seasons form, first half I thought he was brilliant, but seemed to fade in the second.

azeez, what can you say. The big man offers a completely different option to what we have had before. Probably the player Archie has been looking for, but struggled to find since Craig left the club. He caused so many problems for their defence, with him and Erskine chasing down their back four, forcing them into mistakes. Like v St Johnstone, he was winning us throw ins up at their 18 yard box, from nothing. Essential to take the pressure off our defence. I'm willing to say every chance he had yesterday was from his own hard work. So he missed them, life's too short to worry about that. The fact that he gets himself into these positions and offers so much between the half way line and 18 yard line means we only have one thing to work on, his finishing. Get that and we have two fantastic options up front.

It's disappointing to see some of the comments on here regards Azeez, we really have some short sighted folk in our support. It seems we are far to quick to pass judgement and give some players absolutely no chance to settle at a new club, in a new city, and get themselves up to full fitness. The game is littered with players who don't hit the ground running. Some of our fans inability to recognise any positives is disappointing. But it just reflects poorly on them, rather than the player the slate.

I think the right sub was not Welsh, yesterday. I'd have brought on McDaid and moved Amoo into the middle. From what I hear McDaid is showing up well in the reserves. It would have maintained the same style and shape that had been working. Welsh's introduction slowed the pace of the game. It's also worth noting that Barton became more involved in everything, as Welsh wasn't offering anywhere near the same effectiveness as Edwards had, before him, in that position.

Based on yesterday's performance we have nothing to fear going to Ibrox, I'd love us to keep the same 11, and maintain the same pace.

Excellent post PT. I totally despair at some so called fans on here. Everyone see's games differently and yes the boy missed a couple of chances, but for someone to call for for the boy to get his P45 after his FIRST 90 minutes of the season, sums up just what we are up against at this club. Honestly believe they would still moan if we signed Neymar, Suarez and Messi and they missed those chances yesterday. Not getting involved in spats on here this year. It's the same faces that suddenly reappear when we go through a wee dodgy period and that will soon disappear when we hit a run. The last 3 years have shown this to be true. Only surprise is that Gums and The Cup haven't reappeared.....perhaps they have...lol

almost twenty hours on from the final whistle, i thought i'd catch up on posts since last looked at thread pre kick off ..... after wading through a fair number of total heads gone posts, comments from some who were seemingly watching a different match, and some reasonable posts of sense while not always reflecting my overall view, i am happy to see the following post which says it as i saw it, player by player, as well as the bigger picture in terms of pairings, subs as well as formations, tactics and the like yesterday and for for the future ..... saved me considering typing out long post that potty has done, so, while out of likes, have an imaginary like from me.

only additional observations i'd make is we didn't miss osman, welsh slowed and reversed our momentum while mcdaid would have done opposite and filled the erskine role perfectly, dools should have been on earlier too, and some in the northy need to learn how to sing for more than ten seconds in a chant ..... back the team and management for ninety minutes every game, not ten seconds here and there.

almost twenty hours on from the final whistle, i thought i'd catch up on posts since last looked at thread pre kick off ..... after wading through a fair number of total heads gone posts, comments from some who were seemingly watching a different match, and some reasonable posts of sense while not always reflecting my overall view, i am happy to see the following post which says it as i saw it, player by player, as well as the bigger picture in terms of pairings, subs as well as formations, tactics and the like yesterday and for for the future ..... saved me considering typing out long post that potty has done, so, while out of likes, have an imaginary like from me.

only additional observations i'd make is we didn't miss osman, welsh slowed and reversed our momentum while mcdaid would have done opposite and filled the erskine role perfectly, dools should have been on earlier too, and some in the northy need to learn how to sing for more than ten seconds in a chant ..... back the team and management for ninety minutes every game, not ten seconds here and there.

Tend to agree regards the atmosphere. The pre match negativity, oh moult will destroy us, we'll get horsed. The sort of shit that was spread across here and PnB pre match i think reflected in the atmosphere. There was a nervousness in the crowd.

I dont want to divert from the theme of the thread and prevent the trolls from having a wee wind up and a moan, but theres a separate discussion to be had regards the atmosphere.

Yeah, the atmosphere was flat and even though it was a miserable day it was a poor turnout considering they had 800 fans in a crowd of 3200. One noticeable thing yesterday was that the Motherwell fans were subdued yesterday as well. They created a racket the last few seasons at Firhill, but were quiet yesterday. Have we as a club, taken the decision not to house away supporters in the last row of the main stand nearest the North Stand. It was noticeable yesterday that the the Well fans were well spread in the main and that nobody was occupying the last section nearest the NS. That's usually where the atmosphere between the Main and the North comes from!