Gary Lineker

javeajag

Seems a decent bloke and he's right on the money with these comments.

The Sun is a vile and despicable rag and should be ignored or shunned at every opportunity.

Not related to this story whatsoever but I remember I was in a training course at work and it was how to deal with "awkward" customers. Gary Linekers name came up. Training officer said her best pal was a stewardess with BA and of all the shitty, arrogant people she had dealt with over the years, Lineker was the worst. Maybe caught him on an off day but he was full of the "do you know who I am" " Just do what I tell you to do" and "I can get you sacked" bullshit. Might have been an off day or he is just an arrogant twat!

The topical issue concerning the "Calais refugees" is not about race. It is about verifying age and honesty.

Gary does not name the people he thinks are being racist, and if he did and they are indeed discriminating, or assuming superiority on a racial basis he should be lauded for calling it to our attention.

As it appears now, Gary, himself, is in danger of making a generalisation which might tarnish good people with legitimate concerns over honesty, accuracy and order, as being racist.

Lying about one's age can give one an unfair advantage in society.

For example, this - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/ex-sfa-chief-still-raging-20-1028076 is not a racist accusation.

And, while I appreciate, support and applaud our club being open to specific requests and making particular efforts to accommodate people less fortunate than the average fan, I trust they take measures to ensure no one is taking advantage of this particular scheme - https://ptfc.co.uk/fans/kids-go-free/ and that it is being run in a fair and consistent manner.

Not related to this story whatsoever but I remember I was in a training course at work and it was how to deal with "awkward" customers. Gary Linekers name came up. Training officer said her best pal was a stewardess with BA and of all the shitty, arrogant people she had dealt with over the years, Lineker was the worst. Maybe caught him on an off day but he was full of the "do you know who I am" " Just do what I tell you to do" and "I can get you sacked" bullshit. Might have been an off day or he is just an arrogant twat!

at the risk of place-name dropping, i went out to nagoya to interview him for my newspaper when he played in japan; he could not have been nicer or better company..

thereafter, anytime i met him, he was always looking over my shoulder in case someone more important (to be fair, ANYONE would have been more important) entered the room. he's a strange cove so i can understand your stewardess's tale but would not be surprised to hear that another stewardess found him utterly charming. probably like us all, he has good days and not so good...

Linekar is speaking up in favour of compassion.

Those people asking for teeth and age tests have none. This issue is simply about giving young people who have fled their country due to violence or poverty a better life.

Meanwhile the Sun tries to stoke anti-immigrant sentiment with bullshit journalism.

What a world we live in

• Like 1

He is an arrogant English twat they all are.

But just can't see him being that bad and saying that.

Women + football = danger! (Excluding LIB) Any money they've mixed him up with someone else.

Edited by Gingerjag

He is an arrogant English twat they all are.

But just can't see him being that bad and saying that.

Women + football = danger! (Excluding LIB) Any money they've mixed him up with someone else.

No chance of a mix up. She actually said that no one would guess who it was and no one did, even after she gave the clue that he presented a football show. Most thought Keys or Gray, given what happened to them. We were all surprised when it was his name that was revealed. Let's face it, he wouldn't be the first "celeb" to come away with the "do you know who I am" patter and think they are Gods gift!

Edited by Lindau

Whatever Lineker is like personally, I applaud him for making a stand against creeping xenophobia and racism that seem to be de rigeur in the RW press and with demagogues in England nowadays. I have absolutely nothing against England or her people having spent most of my working life there: which disturbs me all the more as I don't recognize the country I know from the intolerant one so often presented on TV, on shows like Question Time, last night been a particularly nasty example.

• Like 1

The topical issue concerning the "Calais refugees" is not about race. It is about verifying age and honesty.

Gary does not name the people he thinks are being racist, and if he did and they are indeed discriminating, or assuming superiority on a racial basis he should be lauded for calling it to our attention.

As it appears now, Gary, himself, is in danger of making a generalisation which might tarnish good people with legitimate concerns over honesty, accuracy and order, as being racist.

Lying about one's age can give one an unfair advantage in society.

For example, this - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/ex-sfa-chief-still-raging-20-1028076 is not a racist accusation.

And, while I appreciate, support and applaud our club being open to specific requests and making particular efforts to accommodate people less fortunate than the average fan, I trust they take measures to ensure no one is taking advantage of this particular scheme - https://ptfc.co.uk/fans/kids-go-free/ and that it is being run in a fair and consistent manner.

I assume your having a laugh......

The sun posted a picture of a supposed child refugee questioning their age and it turns out the person was an translator for the home office .....whatever happened to compassion ?

• Like 1

Or maybe the stewardess had issues.

Or maybe the stewardess had issues.

Could be, but we have all seen the Z list celebrities coming away with the shitty patter when things ain't going for them. Sadly nowadays when they say "do you not know who I am" in most instances my reaction would be NO....lol

The sun posted a picture of a supposed child refugee questioning their age and it turns out the person was an translator for the home office .....whatever happened to compassion ?

Agree entirely, quite simply their is a right and a wrong way of behaving. Compulsory dental checks for a non-scientific reason falls into the latter category. With more than a hint of the Third Reich about it!

https://www.tactcare.org.uk/news/2614-2/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37706862