Robert Watson

Lindau

Incredibly sad news. I obviously didn't know him but I did know who he was. I was always in favour of the move to put home fans in the north stand, but when I saw Robert I knew it was a fantastic move. I don't get to many games but whenever I have done it always seemed like Robert was part of the furniture. It'll be a different place without him.

Eunice and I are so proud of our son Robert,despite having Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy he lived life to the full.He has a 2/1 honours degree in computer Games Technology which he studied at Paisley uni. He also got campaigner of the year in 2014,for his campaign about lack of respite for young disabled adults.We have enjoyed some wonderful holidays as a family like 4 trips to Florida,to Lego land in Denmark and a number of holidays in Britain.Robert took very ill in the morning of 14May 2016.He was rushed to the QEU Hospital where his heart stopped for 2minutes.We were asked if Robert would want to be saved.We said yes.We were told a Tracheostomy was his only chance,that happened on the 25May at first it seemed to be going well.But then he started to get chest infections which just kept setting him back.Until Robert passed away he had 9 infections and the last one got into his blood.Every day since Robert went in Eunice and I would go up to the hospital and spend about 7 hours with Robert.About 2weeks or so Robert started to be very uncomfortable in his chair and also some problems with his breathing.a few days ago when we went up we were told he hadn't had a good night and he was going to stay in bed.Robert was now sleeping all the time.When we went up to see him yesterday(23 March)he was asleep all the time.Eunice wanted to stay but we were advised to go home.We phoned at 11-30 that night and got told his stats had improved.But then at 5-05am the phone went.We were told that Robert had passed away.We took some clothes up and a Thistle scarf.The nurses dressed him but asked me to fix his scarf as i would know how he liked to wear lt.Not much good has happened over the last 10months but when Chris Erskine and calum Booth came up it made his day as it was a complete surprise.Robert loved going clubbing,concerts,power chair football,computer games and of course the Jags.We as Roberts parents are very proud of him but the amount of comments on the internet show that we are not the only ones. RIP son you will always be missed and never forgotten. Robert Watson 15/07/85 - 24/03/17.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 33

Very sad news indeed. I think I probably speak for everyone on the forum when I say that Robert managed to cram more into his far too short life than most would in treble the time. Remarkable testament to his character and to his family.

I hope you are all holding up okay, AJ. The pride you have for your son is plain for all to see. You have every right to be proud.

Based on your description, it sounds like Robert never let his condition get in the way of getting the most out of life. That sort of thing is usually down to a special kind of spirit, which is usually instilled in a person by their parents. You should be proud of the life he lived and the job you and your wife did raising him. Condolences to you and your family during this horrible time.

Len/ChiThistle

I haven't been on the site for a few days due to the lack of league football, but am absolutely gutted to hear this news. I started the thread on here to get Rab signatures when a Celtic mate of mine tagged me into the appeal on FB. I initially didn't recognise Rab until someone posted a picture of him in his wheelchair at the front of the North, then I instantly recognised him. There is not more I can say, that hasn't been covered by the jags fans before me. My condolences go to AJ and his family and to all Rab's pals. Hopefully a few things will come out of this news. The club get into the top 6 for Rab, Dools gets his ton and AJ can present the trophy to him in memory of Rab and finally would be a nice touch if the club had a minutes silence on Saturday. After all Rab went through, it's the least he deserves!

• Like 2

Perhaps a minutes applause at 31 minutes to celebrate Robert's life?

I think we could do both. Applause rather than silence would seem appropriate to Rab's positive approach to life.

Formal applause before the game followed by a more informal and spontaneous outbreak of applause, chanting and/or whatever at Minute 31. I would of course defer to the family's wishes and preferences in all such matters.

• Like 1

A few people on the forum have asked me to let them know the details of Robert's funeral arrangements.

The funeral will be at Woodside Crematorium in Paisley at 3.00pm on Monday 3rd April 2017.

There will be a funeral tea afterwards in the Normandy Hotel in Renfrew where the first drink is free as a gift from Robert. We are having family flowers only. Thank you for all your kind words from Eunice & Robert.

• Like 1