Robert Watson

Lindau

Seen an article a few weeks ago that stated a number of English premier league clubs are not doing nearly enough for disabled fans.We have a lot less money, but we are doing a very good job of making sure our disabled fans can watch our games.Forgot to say the fans will be given a choice.They can either continue watching where they currently are,or use the new viewing area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have spoken to the sculptor who has done Roberts headstone and he can do a 12inch x 12inch black granit plaque.Has anyone any suggestions for an inscription?

I have lifted the following from my earlier post (Number 200). Maybe a starter for ten that others can improve:

IN LOVING MEMORY

Robert Watson (Rab the Jag)

19??-2017

Disability Rights Campaigner

Wheelchair Footballer

Jags Fanatic

Lived Life to the Full

An Inspiration to us all

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The memorial plaque was put in place today in the north stand.We would like to thank  Bowen Boys who did a last jag standing to help raise money and also Digger who took a collection at the Ross County game last season.We would like to thank Ian Maxwell who helped getting the ok from Thistle.Last but not least we would like to thank everybody who donated any  money to get this done. I know that Robert would be surprised that this has been done in his honour as he was a very modest young man.I hope as many fans as possible come along and see the plaque and  say hello as well.We have about £600 left(the plague was £250 from Garner Memorials in Paisley) if anybody has an idea what to spend that on I am open to suggestions. An idea I had was to sponsor a player or 2 next season in Roberts memory and have a competition on the forum and the winner or winners get the top at the end of next season.

memorial 003.JPG

• Like 12

It looks really good AJ. A fitting tribute.

Looking forward to seeing it for real at the Killie game.

That Robert 'Lived life to the full' is testament to the support that you and Eunice tirelessly provided. I suggest that you edit your post to remove the cost of the plaque and take Eunice on a wee holiday :happy2:

All the best

The Bowen Boys

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

It looks really good AJ. A fitting tribute.

Looking forward to seeing it for real at the Killie game.

That Robert 'Lived life to the full' is testament to the support that you and Eunice tirelessly provided. I suggest that you edit your post to remove the cost of the plaque and take Eunice on a wee holiday :happy2:

All the best

The Bowen Boys

Thanks for the suggestion BB, but as the money was collected for a memorial for Robert by Thistle fans, we want the money to go where Thistle fans would want it to go.

The plaque is great AJ and I'm really glad you chose to place it in the North Stand.

I think it is a wonderful idea to sponsor a player in Robert's name next season and to hold a competition for the strip.

Can I suggest that the Jags fans who take part in the competition contribute towards it and the money raised is used to sponsor another player for Robert the following season?

I would be happy to pledge to this and I'm sure others would too. Would be nice to see Robert's name in every match program.

It's all been said. I'd just like to echo previous posts.

I particularly like the gist of Sinistar's suggestion. Instead of using up the remaining funds we could run the player sponsor over two years (maybe even longer?). Fans/posters again donate with any slack, if it occurred, underwritten by the fund.