Robert Watson

Lindau

For years Robert and I went to the enclosure in front of the main stand,you didn't get the best view and if there was any fans behind you it was away fans,but if you were a disabled Thistle fan it was the only bit of the ground you could go. As soon as we were allowed in the north stand it was the only place Robert wanted to go.The view was better,Robert loved being in with fellow Thistle fans and also when the players celebrated scoring in the north end goal.For the last 20years or so Robert used a power chair.Which meant no pushing was required.As for a shuttle service to take fans up the hill,that would not be easy to organise as a normal car does not suit every wheelchair user.We had a van with a tailgate lift to get Robert about.

• Like 2

Phoned Dougie McInnes of the jags disabled supporters club yesterday and spoke to him regarding how people would get to the viewing area.He said he has spoke to Ian Maxwell regarding this and they are looking at a few things too make it easier for those that need to use this to get up the hill.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

Good to be back at Firhill today.I wore one of Roberts many Thistle tops and will always either wear one of his tops or have one of his scarfs with me.Great to see so many Thistle fans joining in the minutes applause for the young St.Mirren fan who passed away recently.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 3

Glad you were there to see the Jags AJ

Thanks Wayfarer.Good all round team performance.I think going 2 ahead gave us a lot of confidence and we took a lot of our chances.Hopefully i shall make all of our home games this season as before 14th May 2016 (when Robert was taken into hospital)and my first season ticket in 68/69 i had only missed 5 home games and that was because of holidays in Florida.Went to the same spot i went with Robert at the front of the North stand,i am sure if possible he was their in spirit cheering the jags on and always will be.
  • Like 6

Just wanted to thank SB1876.He was the winner of the last jag standing for Robert competition.The prize was Banton's top autographed by all the team and he asked Phil(Bowen Boys) to pass it on to me.It was very good of him to do this.We may not have they most fans in the world but imo we have the best .

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just had an email from Ian Maxwell.The work on the viewing area will start next week and it should be completed in about 4 weeks.Ian has suggested putting a plaque in memory of Robert in the viewing area,how do others feel about this ? As a lot of the money was raised by this forum's members we would like to know what your thoughts are.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 5

Just had an email from Ian Maxwell.The work on the viewing area will start next week and it should be completed in about 4 weeks.Ian has suggested putting a plaque in memory of Robert in the viewing area,how do others feel about this ? As a lot of the money was raised by this forum's members we would like to know what your thoughts are.

Auld Jag, thanks for the consideration. Speaking only for myself, tho' I'm certain I won't be alone, I'm 100% behind whatever you believe is the most appropriate material way of remembrance.

• Like 2

Met Phil aka Bowen Boys before the match today. He gave me £855 which is the amount raised via the forum and collection at the Ross County game last season for the memorial for Robert. I will be emailing Ian Maxwell next week.Any more ideas would be welcome.Thank you to everybody who contributed to this.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update on things.I met Ian today and got shown the new viewing area for disabled in the JHS.It is very impressive,there is a lift at the back of the JHS which will take the wheelchair user and carer up to the viewing area,there is also a disabled toilet.There will be more disabled parking spaces marked off at the back of the JHS and if these are all full the wheelchair user and carer can be dropped of at the back of the stand.The viewing area gives an excellent view of the pitch. I took some pictures of the viewing area and view you get and I will try and download these in the next day or so.With regard to the memorial for Robert Ian sees no problem in a plaque in either the new viewing area or the concourse wall in the North stand where Robert and I went.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 6

Just an update on things.I met Ian today and got shown the new viewing area for disabled in the JHS.It is very impressive,there is a lift at the back of the JHS which will take the wheelchair user and carer up to the viewing area,there is also a disabled toilet.There will be more disabled parking spaces marked off at the back of the JHS and if these are all full the wheelchair user and carer can be dropped of at the back of the stand.The viewing area gives an excellent view of the pitch. I took some pictures of the viewing area and view you get and I will try and download these in the next day or so.With regard to the memorial for Robert Ian sees no problem in a plaque in either the new viewing area or the concourse wall in the North stand where Robert and I went.

That all sounds both impressive and very much what you would value, Auld Jag.

• Like 1