Robert Watson

Lindau

Taped the bit on Alba that mentions Robert.Eunice and myself would like to thank everybody at Firhill for what they have done to remember Robert.

The club and fans did him proud yesterday AJ, in all aspects, from the minutes applause, the mentions in the programme, the collection, and pretty sure the HT announcer mentioned something as well, though I was too busy talking at the time to hear what he actually said. Alba mentioning Rab was the icing on the cake. The players did their action on the pitch, especially our No 9!!

Edited by Lindau

Roberts funeral today, big turnout to give him a good send off.3 From Jags disabled club Dougie,Angelia and a gentleman who I cant remember his name.When this thread started I didn't realise the reaction it would get,with over 100 signatures from the forum on the petition.We did get the council to agree to the care at home but sadly Robert was never well enough to get home.When Chris & Callum came up he was really happy as he had no idea they were going to visit him.Then at xmas he got over 30 xmas cards and posters sent to the hospital from fans on this forum and Freddie Frans.The applause and the mentions he got in Saturdays programme were all great tributes to him.Robert was always proud to be a jag and in the end the jags(fans & club)done Robert proud.Thanks to everyone. Robert snr & Eunice.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 11

Roberts funeral today, big turnout to give him a good send off.3 From Jags disabled club Dougie,Angelia and a gentleman who I cant remember his name.When this thread started I didn't realise the reaction it would get,with over 100 signatures from the forum on the petition.We did get the council to agree to the care at home but sadly Robert was never well enough to get home.When Chris & Callum came up he was really happy as he had no idea they were going to visit him.Then at xmas he got over 30 xmas cards and posters sent to the hospital from fans on this forum and Freddie Frans.The applause and the mentions he got in Saturdays programme were all great tributes to him.Robert was always proud to be a jag and in the end the jags(fans & club)done Robert proud.Thanks to everyone. Robert snr & Eunice.

Lovely words AJ. Despite the bickering that goes on here on occasions, we really are a close knit family that looks after our own and Rab was one of us. May he rest in peace!

Edited by Lindau

Got a copy of Saturdays game e mailed to us by George.Robert would have loved that result tonight.We could never take anything off them, all the years he was going.

Such a great result to remember Robert junior (Rab) by. I know you've had a lot to deal with AJ, but please feel proud about your son & Thistle.

Sandy I have always been proud to be a Thistle fan and have always been very proud of Robert.The amount of people who turned up at Roberts funeral showed it was not just family that admired him and Thistle got a lot of mentions during the service and the flowers that spelt son were red and yellow.

• Like 7

• Members

I've made similar reference to this elsewhere on the web. Fantastic though the tributes were on Saturday, it was after the game as I walked down on to Firhill Road on Saturday my thoughts were with you and Robert Junior. I always seen you both coming down the road no matter the weather after the game and felt like I always should say hi and even though I didn't know either of you, I felt I did because of both your involvements with the various fans' forums over the years. It'll be a long time yet before I do stop looking for you both. Best wishes to you and Eunice.

Will.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I will be attending the Aberdeen game this Sunday.This is the first Thistle game i have been to since the 30th April 2016 game against ICT which was Roberts last game.I am coming to the game because Bowen Boy has asked me to be part of the presentation party for the Doolan 100 trophy.He asked me to do this in memory of Robert and i thank him for the chance to do it. I will be in the spot that Robert and i have been going to for a number years now behind the goal in the north stand.If you see me either in the ground or outside Firhill please come up and say hello as it would be nice to thank you for the kind wishes that was sent to Robert while he was in hospital.

• Like 15

I will be attending the Aberdeen game this Sunday.This is the first Thistle game i have been to since the 30th April 2016 game against ICT which was Roberts last game.I am coming to the game because Bowen Boy has asked me to be part of the presentation party for the Doolan 100 trophy.He asked me to do this in memory of Robert and i thank him for the chance to do it. I will be in the spot that Robert and i have been going to for a number years now behind the goal in the north stand.If you see me either in the ground or outside Firhill please come up and say hello as it would be nice to thank you for the kind wishes that was sent to Robert while he was in hospital.

Great strength to you tomorrow Auld Jag I am sure it will be an emotional time. I sincerely hope you can take the time to have some enjoyment from it. If you can take a moment and remember all the enjoyable moments you spent together with Robert and the Jags.

• Like 1

Today was a hard and emotional one,but being involved in the 2 presentations helped.Also the jags disabled supporters trophy that was given to Kris had In memory of Robert Watson inscribed on it,which was a lovely touch. Once again we would like to thank everyone at Firhill(fans,players and others behind the scenes) for the support that we have received at this very difficult time.I will be back next season cheering the Jags on. Robert and Eunice.

• Like 9

Today was a hard and emotional one,but being involved in the 2 presentations helped.Also the jags disabled supporters trophy that was given to Kris had In memory of Robert Watson inscribed on it,which was a lovely touch. Once again we would like to thank everyone at Firhill(fans,players and others behind the scenes) for the support that we have received at this very difficult time.I will be back next season cheering the Jags on. Robert and Eunice.

Sheer class. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have been raising funds in support of a memorial to Robert. The Last Jag Standing donations have raised £556 and today one man with a bucket raised an incredible £288.30.

Thanks to those here who contributed and to those on their way to the JHS and in the North Stand that filled the bucket. Big thanks to digger for his one man crusade today. Tremendous effort.

Total raised £844.30

As the money was raised between this forum and a collection at the Ross County game,i was wondering if anybody had any ideas what the memorial could be?

Just an idea but a fitting tribute for Robert could be to name the north stand the Robert Watson stand as Robert was a season ticket holder for many years there and was a person we all recognised and didn't let his condition stop him supporting the jags and he was a big part in our club. Opinions?

Edited by lithgaejag

My thought would be a plaque on the front wall of the North Stand (ie the low wall separating the front concourse from the pitch). It should be in the place directly between where Robert used to sit and the goalposts ie on Robert's line of sight when he would celebrate a Thistle goal at the North end. That way many of us would see it and be reminded of Robert as we entered or left the ground or were circulating around to the pie stall etc during the game.

Some suggested wording for the inscription (which I am sure can be improved, and of course Auld Jag and the family must have the final say):-

IN LOVING MEMORY

Robert Watson (Rab the Jag)

19??-2017

Disability Rights Campaigner

Wheelchair Footballer

Jags Fanatic

Lived Life to the Full

An Inspiration to us all

• Like 1