Robert Watson

Lindau

Just an idea but a fitting tribute for Robert could be to name the north stand the Robert Watson stand as Robert was a season ticket holder for many years there and was a person we all recognised and didn't let his condition stop him supporting the jags and he was a big part in our club. Opinions?

I think that a plaque somewhere in the North Stand would be a long lasting and appropriate memorial. Or maybe form part of a memorial to all Jags fans sadly no longer with us.

My thought would be a plaque on the front wall of the North Stand (ie the low wall separating the front concourse from the pitch). It should be in the place directly between where Robert used to sit and the goalposts ie on Robert's line of sight when he would celebrate a Thistle goal at the North end. That way many of us would see it and be reminded of Robert as we entered or left the ground or were circulating around to the pie stall etc during the game.

Some suggested wording for the inscription (which I am sure can be improved, and of course Auld Jag and the family must have the final say):-

IN LOVING MEMORY

Robert Watson (Rab the Jag)

19??-2017

Disability Rights Campaigner

Wheelchair Footballer

Jags Fanatic

Lived Life to the Full

An Inspiration to us all

Not sure how the club would feel about naming a stand after a supporter.Is that not reserved for people who have played or managed the club for a number of years or somebody who has put a lot of money into the club? At the moment i think some sort of plaque in the North stand.Any more ideas?
  • Like 2

Maxi said at the last Trust meeting that the club was progressing planning permission with the council for a viewing area in the JHS at the North Stand end. Would be fitting that it was named after Robert when there is finally a decent place for disabled fans to watch the game

• Like 3

Many of the ideas are superb and I feel most befitting. If there were any funds left over (tho' I'm sure we could make up any slack) I think a Robert Watson Trophy would also be appropriate. As to who would "compete" for or merit it I'm sure the Club and/or Auld Jag would have great ideas. The trophy could be handed out annually either at a half time or at the PotY night (at both maybe).

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

Yes I agree that Robert would have liked to have seen a viewing area for disabled in the JHS and It would be a fitting tribute If it was named after Robert.I am going to get in contact with Ian Maxwell in the next few days to try and see what can be done and what the club will agree to.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 5

Yes I agree that Robert would have liked to have seen a viewing area for disabled in the JHS and It would be a fitting tribute If it was named after Robert.I am going to get in contact with Ian Maxwell in the next few days to try and see what can be done and what the club will agree to.

Good man!

Sound idea. :clapping:

Edited by stillresigned

• 2 weeks later...

Had a meeting today with Ian Maxwell.Put forward ideas suggested on here with regard naming new disabled viewing area after Robert,having a plaque in Roberts memory on the viewing area or having a plaque where we went in the north stand. Ian is going on holiday next week,he is going to look into things and get back to me.If I haven't heard from him by mid August I have to email him to find out how things are going .I also got my season ticket for the new season while i was there.If anybody has any more ideas re the memorial let me know.

• Like 2

Hi Auld Jag, did Maxi say if there had been any progress on the new disabled viewing section?

Thistle are looking to put a disabled viewing area in the jhs.It will be at the back of the stand,near the police control box at the north stand end.It would be able to take about 10 wheelchair users.It should be completed sometime during the new season and maybe even before the end of this year.

How will they get up the hill? If it was in the Northy, surely easier access

Come in from the north end,there's less of a hill that way. The viewing position will be far better in the JHS. I used to bring a disabled fan along when we were given space in the north end of the enclosure. View was terrible

I must admit, I hadn't thought about the absurdity of climbing the hill until sandy mentioned it. If we are going to spend money on a viewing area for wheelchair users (which we should), then it must be accessible to wheelchair users without hindrance. If I were in that position I would value my independence and, if I was physically able to, I would want to get myself off the bus and in to the stadium unassisted.

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance but is the Aitken Suite wheelchair friendly? If so some sort of transport from there to the JHS might be a possibility. I wouldn't make it exclusively for disabled but include the very elderly and our less abled supporters. Anything that prolongs Jags fans being able to attend/enjoy matches shouldn't be overlooked.

LIB and BowenBoys, exactly.

We need to make it easy for disabled, infirm or elderly supporters to get into the ground. And in a way that gives them all respect.

I'm just not sure a new viewing area in the JHS has been thought through. A shuttle service? Guys pushing fans up the hill?

The Northy is much easier to access. After all, that's where Rab & Auld Jag went.

• Like 1

The difficulty with adapting any building etc to give wheelchair access is that there is usually no ideal solution. Access from Firhill road into the stadium is more direct if you're using the gate between the Main Stand and the Northie. An area in the North Stand would need to be at pitch level and maybe behind a screen to avoid stray balls.

On the other hand, a viewing area in the JHS would be looking down on the pitch with a much better view. It could be accessed from street level. The down side would be the push up the hill to get in to the JHS.

I have done that a couple of times, pushing a wheelchair and it is a bit of a slog but not as bad as the first time I did it and had to go to the cabin at the JHS to buy tickets before getting in to the wheelchair area in the Main Stand enclosure!

The club needs to consult with wheelchair users and carers before installing any new facility. They need to ascertain things like how people travel to Firhill. If they arrive by car or taxi then a drop off area or even dedicated parking spaces need to be provided at either the North Stand or the JHS. Another consideration must be the availability of accessible toilet facilities in the JHS.

If things are not done as well as they can be then any efforts can end up counter productive.

Edited by scotty

Actually, don't wheelchair users already use the enclosure in front of the main stand? Apart from being separated from the other Jags fans and being pretty much at ground level, is it an unsuitable area? Access from Firhill Road is surely easy!

In my mind you've rather hit it on the nail. I don't think it right that the disabled fans have to share with away support. They should be within the body of the kirk so to speak. I realise there'll be the anomaly of OF games but that's another matter. Adequate covering, a decent unrestricted view and easy access to and fro as many amenities as possible should be basic requirements and not thought of as some kind of bonus. Achieve that and I doubt anyone would argue against that being a most befitting memory to Robert.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1