Wimbledon Manager Job

JeanieD

If Robbie Neilson is mad enough to take it is there any danger Hearts might come looking in our direction for his replacement?

Personally doubt it but Hearts tend to run on a sensible budget and are unlikely to go looking for a "big name" (over paid) manager - as such someone like Archie might interest them?

• Like 1

It's the MK Dons that are after Neilson. Archie isn't any different to any other person that works...money talks, however I think the compo that scared Shrewsbury off might be the same for Hearts if they come calling

Sorry about the wrong team - the Wimbledon moving/Milton Keyes/different names/fans anger/new club etc. obviously confused my old brain.

Imagine if you were a Jambo, would you be happy if Archie was your next appointment? The reason I say that is they will be looking for a top manager to see them progress further. They have sell outs every week and rightly believe in the not to distant future they could challenge for the title. It may sound unrealistic but if you dont have ambitions to win the league, why be in it at all?

An experienced manager will probably not work with Levein. Hearts will probably go for a young manager that they can develop.

That's my view as well. If I was a betting lady I'd stick some money on either Levein himself taking the job or a promotion from within, like Stevie Crawford being Levein's poodle. In fact I reckon Neilson's personal valet or his speech therapist are more likely to be the next manager than Archie.

• Like 1

All of them? McCall was long gone by the time McNamara built the squad that won the league. McCall brought a few of them in but only once did we ever come close to challenging for promotion under his tenure.

Of the team that featured in the squad against Falkirk when we clinched the title McCall had brought the following players to the club:

Fox

Balatoni

Bannigan

Erskine

Doolan

I think he deserves some credit although the lion's share obviously goes elsewhere, in particular Archie.

Totally subjective viewpoint but fine job McNamara did in bringing in players, especially the two full backs who were essential to our playing style, I'm far from convinced we'd have gone on to win the league had he remained in charge. I saw no evidence to suggest we'd go on an unbeaten run of sixteen games or win anything like eight on the trot (as we did under Archie).

At best with McNamara in charge I reckon a combination of our lack of steeliness, especially away from home, and an assumption that if the league was closer Morton wouldn't jack it in, would've made it a very close run thing. Just my opinion tho' the reason behind McNamara's relatively quick exit from Tannadice kinda backs up my argument.

Regardless of who signed who, Archie must be credited with winning the league. Since then he has kept us in the league on successive seasons albeit surviving and not really thriving. We have made one quarter final and lost a cup final under his stewardship. This season is no different to the seasons that preceded it, the only difference so far being there is no obvious team struggling. 1st season was hearts (deducted 15 points) and hibs, 2nd year was st Mirren and motherwell, last season was dundee united and Kilmarnock, this year its any team from 5th down. We have a decent team and been in decent positions in games where if we had seen it out we would be in a comfortable position in the table. Ultimately we havent done so and find ourselves bottom of a poor league. Our position is entirely self inflicted and its going to be another squeaky erse for us all the way till May.

ETA

Not tomorrow Ian, at the end of the season

Edited by MonehJags

OK so you are saying that you would sack Archie and take Jackie back, despite the, not one, but two unmitigated disasters that he has presided over since he left Thistle?

That's not to mention the complete and utter shoddy way he treated the club during and after his departure.

Edited by ian_mac