Defend The City End In Second Half Instead.

Gaucho

This might sound ridiculous (and feel free to ridicule) but this might be worth a go. The late goals at home are always lost at the North end. Perhaps a change of scene at that critical stage in the game might help alter the player's mind set. They definitely have a mental block at the moment.

Also it might help that we are attacking the stand holding our fans in the 2nd half anyway. Most teams choose that option.

Edited by Gaucho
  • Like 2

This might sound ridiculous (and feel free to ridicule) but this might be worth a go. The late goals at home are always lost at the North end. Perhaps a change of scene at that critical stage in the game might help alter the player's mind set. They definitely have a mental block at the moment.

Also it might help that we are attacking the stand holding our fans in the 2nd half anyway. Most teams choose that option.

I just posted the same thing in another thread. It does sound a bit daft but we hardly score at the North end and are conceeding so many late goals there also.. I remember we did change it for a game and got horsed but at the moment anything is worth a go.

The theory must be that shooting towards the northy should help us get an early goal but but doesnt seem to work .Might be good for a mindset change to change it too..

• Like 1

Struggling to find a reason why we don't change. Best I can come up with is the prevailing wind is behind you in the first half and wind often dies down a bit later in the afternoon. Now that is struggling :)

...and we won't play 'later in the afternoon' at Firhill again til Februrary 18 :)

Edited by l'escardot

I don't see why we couldn't change it and have suggested it to Banzo a couple of years ago.

Apparently the only reason we shoot towards the city end 2nd half is purely tradition - one that's been left over from when we actually had fans at the city end - over 20 years ago!

Beggars belief to be honest. Gives you an idea of how footballers think, or rather, how they don't!

Whoever's on twitter should tweet the players and see if we can get this changed.

Just as a generalisation but how often do you see a team captain opting to switch ends at the kick off? I think it happened once with us recently (maybe last season) but that was very much an exception to some unwritten rule. I've not got a fixation about the wind or weather in general but you'd think conditions would play a part in which way you choose. Why for instance opt to play into driving rain just because of tradition? The rain may well have abated an hour later and the opposition won't have to endure the same.

Maybe I'm mistaken but a few decades ago I'm sure it was far more commonplace to switch ends at kick off???

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Just as a generalisation but how often do you see a team captain opting to switch ends at the kick off? I think it happened once with us recently (maybe last season) but that was very much an exception to some unwritten rule. I've not got a fixation about the wind or weather in general but you'd think conditions would play a part in which way you choose. Why for instance opt to play into driving rain just because of tradition? The rain may well have abated an hour later and the opposition won't have to endure the same.

Maybe I'm mistaken but a few decades ago I'm sure it was far more commonplace to switch ends at kick off???

You're right about this l-i-b. It used to be used tactically by the toss-winning captain. Weather or slope of the pitch related. Not sure why it went out of fashion. Perhaps with so many lovely new stadiums with flat pitches, it's not so much of an issue.

Absloutey agree with this. I was in the North Stand for the Rangers game but normally I would be in the JH. Would have loved to have been up clsoe for the Doolan goal but terrible perspective from North end. Its a pointless tradition now that the bing is there. If I were a regular of the North stand I think I would like the climax of the game to be us shooting towards there. Makes no difference really to fans in the JH. Shouls also be a captains decision based on weather conditions

Hamilton Accies at home 2 seasons ago, 3rd game of the season I think, Higgy scores a peach from outside the box at the north stand end with 5 minutes to go and we still contrived to lose 2-1. Over a prolonged period of time it can no longer being credited to 'bad luck'.

I don't know if it will help or not but I would certainly prefer us to play towards the north end in the second half if only to see the goals better and join the players in celebrating.