Friday At Dingwall

jagfaelivi

Excellent news...

The club has issued a statement and "Ross County is urging a “safety first” approach..."

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/supporter-information-ross-county/

Are they recommending that everyone heed the Met office and motoring organisations and their 'safety first' approach, which is DON"T LEAVE HOME or do they have a better idea?

No...

"With the weather forecast tomorrow predicting high winds and heavy rain, please leave plenty of extra time for your journey."

MADNESS!

Excellent news...

The club has issued a statement and "Ross County is urging a “safety first” approach..."

https://ptfc.co.uk/p...on-ross-county/

Are they recommending that everyone heed the Met office and motoring organisations and their 'safety first' approach, which is DON"T LEAVE HOME or do they have a better idea?

No...

"With the weather forecast tomorrow predicting high winds and heavy rain, please leave plenty of extra time for your journey."

MADNESS!

If the weather overnight and into the morning is as bad as expected then I would hope that the SPFL call it off. Any other course would mean, as Tom Hosie said, they are insisting that Jags players and staff travel against Met Office advice.

Regarding the club statement, I don't think they can be blamed. If the police don't close the roads then people are free to travel if they wish. To selectively quote from the article (the sentence after the one you chose)

"Thistle fans who intend travelling by road to the match should listen to any safety notices from Transport Scotland and Police Scotland and plan their journey taking into consideration any advice given."

Drove to Pitlochry and back today and the weather was horrific.

Roads were pretty dangerous with surface water and poor visibility.

Throw in the strong winds tomorrow and heavier rain and you've got a pretty treacherous journey.

Then if the game does go ahead, you'll have 22 guys playing in freezing conditions in pissing rain and a gale.

Yet they wonder why nobody goes to games anymore?

I've just travelled down from Skye and joined the A9 at Dalwhinnie, there was a blizzard for about 7 miles before i got to Dalwhinnie then for about 10-15 miles south heading towards Perth, I assume the snow will be heavier the further North and with the storm on it's way I'd strongly advise not to travel in it, it was brutal to drive down in.safe journey to anyone going.

So a Glasgow team is travelling up to the far North and a team from the far North is travelling to Glasgow. Crazy stuff! By the way I see the Rangers/Inverness game is still on Saturday.

RC can only play ICT 3 or 4 times a season, so the only way to avoid long winter travels is to play 3 of those games at Xmas/NY so it ain't going to happen. It really doesn't matter who else plays these teams at this time of year, it's going to be a long horrible journey for those travelling north or south

If the weather overnight and into the morning is as bad as expected then I would hope that the SPFL call it off. Any other course would mean, as Tom Hosie said, they are insisting that Jags players and staff travel against Met Office advice.

Regarding the club statement, I don't think they can be blamed. If the police don't close the roads then people are free to travel if they wish. To selectively quote from the article (the sentence after the one you chose)

"Thistle fans who intend travelling by road to the match should listen to any safety notices from Transport Scotland and Police Scotland and plan their journey taking into consideration any advice given."

Very fair point, Bowenboys. I guess that if the game hasn't been called off then PTFC can't tell people not to attend. On the other hand they have quite rightly pointed to Transport and Police Scotland who are telling people not to travel.

It's a bit like I can't call my boss a to55er but I can tell him that he can't stop me thinking that he's one.

I retract my earlier post and concede that the true message is that the game is (currently) on but you should take the advice of the professionals who are saying don't travel.

(I'm staying at home) :thumbsup2::partyhat:

If ever there was an example of how out of touch with reality and the average supporter the Scottish footballing authorities actually are: then the circumstances surrounding this match are a case in point.

Realistically, what other even pseudo-entertainment industry would expect its customers to endure the treatment we football supporters are forced to endure?

Be very surprised if there are more than 100 jags fans up for this and massive respect to those that have made effort. If the weather is as bad tonight and it goes ahead, it's gonna be a total farce so let's hope some of the usual culprits that post during and directly after the game realise this!! Anything could happen in these conditions!

Edited by Lindau

Thanks for the respect BB but do not think I am really earning it. Just passing Aviemore and it is a little wet and windy but nothing particularly extreme for this time of year. Certainly not dangerous. So if pitch drains well and the wind does not turn extreme, see no reason just now why game should be off. I appreciate that weather may deteriorate for the journey home for those heading back to Glasgow (I am staying near Dingwall over night).

• Like 1

RC can only play ICT 3 or 4 times a season, so the only way to avoid long winter travels is to play 3 of those games at Xmas/NY so it ain't going to happen. It really doesn't matter who else plays these teams at this time of year, it's going to be a long horrible journey for those travelling north or south

Don't see why they couldn't play 2 of them at a time when it is most inconvenient to travel when public transport is limited. After all we ended up playing Celtic twice in 10 days home and away. A double header derby might even generate extra revenue for clubs just before a 3 week shutdown.

Don't see why they couldn't play 2 of them at a time when it is most inconvenient to travel when public transport is limited. After all we ended up playing Celtic twice in 10 days home and away. A double header derby might even generate extra revenue for clubs just before a 3 week shutdown.

That's quite possibly a good suggestion, double header local matches at Xmas & New Year would work. I think they do or did that with Scottish Rugby. Far too sensible an idea for Doncaster and co though

Part of the cure could also be enterprising. Play a double header ICT v County/County v ICT. Similar to Warriers v Embra in the rugby. Stick an unofficial trophy up to play for and you've got more interest.

Regardless when they're working out the fixtures it would be only logical to set the derby/local fixtures for around this time of year and work back and forward from there. It wouldn't be very difficult.

I've mentioned before but St Johnstone fans face a 170 mile round trip to Rugby Pk, which is ridiculous enough till you see the distances ICT and Aberdeen have to face. Then of course there's us. But please do spare a thought for sevco followers who'll have to get to their own ground and Celtic fans having to make the tricky journey all the way to Hamilton West.

• Like 1