Lindsay>>Leeds?

angry gaz

Give us £1m and we'll throw in Ziggy as well.

By my reckoning Gordon has had one poor showing in his last eight appearances. That was when he came on for Lindsay at home to County. He had to repeat that when Liam went off on Wednesday night. Thought he slotted in very well. Apart from his usual position he's played now played well albeit for short periods at both right and left centreback (of three) and is quite likely to feature at left back tomorrow. And you want rid of him.

• Like 2

By my reckoning Gordon has had one poor showing in his last eight appearances. That was when he came on for Lindsay at home to County. He had to repeat that when Liam went off on Wednesday night. Thought he slotted in very well. Apart from his usual position he's played now played well albeit for short periods at both right and left centreback (of three) and is quite likely to feature at left back tomorrow. And you want rid of him.

Agree, I was one of his biggest critics but I think he has performed pretty well recently. As for Liam, I am being serious when saying bidding should START at £500,000 minimum. The boy Hendrie that the Hammers were willing to pay Accies £1,000,000 for, to my knowledge, has hardly kicked a ball for them.

Edited by Lindau

With his deal running until 2019, it will take big bucks to get him out of his deal.

I don't know a hell of a lot about the ins and outs of transfers, but I honestly implore Lindsay to look at his long term future. So so often in Scotland do we see greedy agents and cash strapped clubs look for the quick sell, only to see their top prospect sit on a bench in England for the remainder of their career, when just a year more at their current club could see them develop into a real talent. Guys like Liam Miller and Stephen Hendrie all moved for good money to big clubs, and find themselves farmed out to League Two sides never to be heard from again. I think Lindsay could become a Scotland international one day. But he has to be allowed to develop at a comfortable level, and I hope Partick Thistle and his agent can ignore the allure of compensation in order for him to do that.

Just my two cents worth, but we have seen it so often.

• Like 4

I'd rather have players at the club who are committed to the team. He's already publicly stated that he's only here for a year.

But in any case. My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek - has everyone in here lost their sense of humour?

• Like 1

With his deal running until 2019, it will take big bucks to get him out of his deal.

I don't know a hell of a lot about the ins and outs of transfers, but I honestly implore Lindsay to look at his long term future. So so often in Scotland do we see greedy agents and cash strapped clubs look for the quick sell, only to see their top prospect sit on a bench in England for the remainder of their career, when just a year more at their current club could see them develop into a real talent. Guys like Liam Miller and Stephen Hendrie all moved for good money to big clubs, and find themselves farmed out to League Two sides never to be heard from again. I think Lindsay could become a Scotland international one day. But he has to be allowed to develop at a comfortable level, and I hope Partick Thistle and his agent can ignore the allure of compensation in order for him to do that.

He only needs to look at what has happened to Jack Hendry down south. I know some of the comments are tongue in cheek but Gordon has played well recently and I think Danny Devine has been outstanding the last few games and both now appear to be settling nicely....and yes I was a big critic of them both earlier in the season. To me, the Cerny factor has had a massive impact on the defence, especially the both of them and long may it continue!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 2

We'd be silly to turn down big bucks... HOWEVER, I think any deal that may be done should ensure he stays with us until the end of the season. Money talks, but Liam is turning into a solid defender and will only continue to improve and could be key to our final position come May.

Great to see he's being noticed though & I agree regarding Edwards - he's been immense this season.

• Like 2

Liam still has a lot to learn defensively and lacks a bit of pace, but you can see that if he keeps his head screwed on, that he could have a very good career at a half decent club. The good thing about both him and Ryan is that they are tied up, so clubs are gonna have to dig deep if they want either of them

I'd rather have players at the club who are committed to the team. He's already publicly stated that he's only here for a year.

But in any case. My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek - has everyone in here lost their sense of humour?

Sense of humour is always subjective. Apologies for not getting the subtleness of your joke :thumbsup2:

Are there any examples of players who have turned down a big move, stayed at their club for another year and got an even bigger move?

The fact is, we have always been and always will be a selling club. we attract players by giving them a shop window to show off their talents.

Its all very well saying that he needs to develop at a comfortable level, but who's to say an english championship club can't provide that level?

Are there any examples of players who have turned down a big move, stayed at their club for another year and got an even bigger move?

The fact is, we have always been and always will be a selling club. we attract players by giving them a shop window to show off their talents.

Its all very well saying that he needs to develop at a comfortable level, but who's to say an english championship club can't provide that level?

I agree and would also suggest that the coaching and facilities at these clubs is probably at a higher level than at Firhill, so even if he is not playing first team, he would be developing his game

• Like 1

I was listening to Willie Miller talking about Patterson just before the Hearts Aberdeen game. He was saying that we tend to criticise young players for going after the money before they are fully developed. But Patterson is a case in point of a young man looking forward to stepping up a few levels and suddenly an injury puts it all in doubt. Really can't blame any young player for grabbing what they can when they can.

While agreeing with above posts by pt and DD the keep him/sell him argument may well be academic. I don't believe our players will be signing these extended contracts without some sort of release clause. Even if that's not the case there may well be a tacit agreement that we won't block any reasonable offer. We will want to continue to get players tied up for more than a single season and being seen to stand in the way of a player's progress (perceived or otherwise) would make that considerably more difficult.

• Like 3

I'd say anything less than £1m and we are being taken advantage of. If anyone wants him immediately then we should be seeking more.

He's a still young player who we have nurtured for 4(?)years to become an important first team regular in the highest level we compete in. We should be rewarded for that.

We're starting to show we are no mere also-rans in this league on a tight budget and a relatively small squad, losing a key player at this stage of the season will force significant choices on us with serious financial consequences. We should be compensated for that.

We've shown our belief and faith in the player to offer him a contract to 2019, that gives him the potential to develop, improve and be noticed at a decent competitive level. That faith in his potential, and opportunity has to be matched.

Point is, he may not be worth £1m "off the peg" in the eyes of English scouts, but to us it's arguable, all we've put in to the player, the effort the club has to deliver to maintain our status and what we would potentially lose and have to deal with, Liam's worth at least a million to us. We have to emphasise that he's a valuable asset to us not simply a punt on potential for them.

I agree with others above that another year at the Jags could possibly have Liam picking from more prestigious opportunities, more confidently stepping up and better equipped for that challenge. However, I understand the draw, the resources, facilities and financial security.

End of the day, it is his choice, and unhappy player is no use to us. But we are in a strong position not to get mugged off wishing him all the best.

Hope he stays. ...

We beat Leads last we played them, Villa are the Scottish club in Brum, and Pompey make the 'orrible 'uns look like money saving experts!

:fan: