January Window

Firhillista

Actually rather surprised with this. Saw Syme play on Tuesday for the U20s and thought he had both a good personal game as well as being very much a team player. Had it not been for that game and another recent one I wouldn't have been too surprised. Never struck me as a right back and maybe he's not quite the potential to make it in the centre?

Any time I saw Syme in the Development side I can't say I was impressed. Didn't look fit or interested. In quite a few games I saw, he was blowing out his backside after 30 minutes, not what you expect from a young guy. Mick McMullin did a lot of covering for him. Not that I could ever see him anywhere near the first team even given an injury crisis, we really do need another central defender in. Looks like Shaggy really rates Keown and the guy Harry Davis at Crewe has been mentioned as well.

Edited by Lindau

It would appear as though we are ready to announce a new signing imminently with this news. The timing of it seems odd though with the youth cup game today. How is the development side covered defensively?

Must admit that although I didn't personally rate him, he would have been a shoe in for a place today, especially with M'Lady giving him a few glowing praises in his last couple of games. Timing does seem a bit strange given the lads are in a big game today.

It would appear as though we are ready to announce a new signing imminently with this news. The timing of it seems odd though with the youth cup game today. How is the development side covered defensively?

If McMullen is able to play then no real problem. He'd probably team up beside Granger. A combo of Kelly and Granger would appear to me a bit on the young side. Perhaps play a three at the back with McInally (the smallest lad on the Park) rather ironically in the "Barton" role. Docherty, who is physically strong, could also play there.

is that just a guess or do you know we are announcing a new signing mate?

The window is shutting in just over a week so I would think it's a cert that we will have at least one centre back in, probably Keown or Davis. Not convinced we will strengthen elsewhere as the likes of Lawless and Erskine have goals in them. Think we will run with Dools, Ade and Nesbit till the end of the season

I don't know for sure but by releasing a player it opens up a wage for someone else so I would hazard an educated guess that we are going to see the arrival of someone very soon. As Lindau says there is little over a week left to do business and we aren't exactly blessed with cover across the back. We are beginning to see the effect of what suspensions can do to the squad as well for next weeks game

Gordon is 3rd choice after Muzzy and Elliot, and with Keown coming in his chances of playing have narrowed further. Archie clearly doesn't fancy him now so better to free up his wage rather have him warming the bench for the rest of the season. Even if that means letting him go for free, we didn't pay anything for him and we couldn't claim he's improved during his time with us.