January Window

Firhillista

Already there are worries because he hasn't played for so long....Is our development side that bad, we're raking through the bins of Crawley. If Nisbet is that bad, or cant make the cut against Azeez, let him go now, then have a massive clear-out of the running of this side. It appears Archie has no faith in what's being produced. the whole reasoning for a development team is to bring players through to the big team and sell on the others. Non of this is happening, the Weirs money is being squandered up against a toilet wall. Crawley indeed. Yet again Arch is bedazzled by a sharp suited agent..............Oh and welcome to Firhill son.

Ryan Scully, Kyle Lochhead, Ross McGeough, Jamie Campbell, Ryan MacBeth, Stuart Bannigan, Kieran Burns, Shaun Fraser, Jordan McGrotty.... all names featuring in a Daily Record article from 2011 in which Geree was looking forward to the club reaping the benefits of the youth system.

With the obvious two exceptions, the question arises: Where are they now?

Ryan Scully, Kyle Lochhead, Ross McGeough, Jamie Campbell, Ryan MacBeth, Stuart Bannigan, Kieran Burns, Shaun Fraser, Jordan McGrotty.... all names featuring in a Daily Record article from 2011 in which Geree was looking forward to the club reaping the benefits of the youth system.

With the obvious two exceptions, the question arises: Where are they now?

I am not sure what proportion you think is acceptable - but 2 out of 9 looks pretty good to me

Oh Sabbath, how down on this club you are.

Let's give Banton a chance to play for us before we judge him. Radical idea, eh?

I'm not sure why him or a few others that post on here support Thistle, or indeed any football team in Scotland.

Crawley Town would be quite likely to beat us in a game, League 2 is hugely competitive. So it bemuses me some peoples attitudes to signings from this league. We've lost some decent players to this league, why is it bad to sign someone from this league?

• Like 4

Anyone involved in the game I've spoke to has said that no more than 10% of players will ever make it, no matter how much money is spent on a youth system. The vast majority don't make it, that's just life.

2 out of 9 is pretty good going. To say anything else is just ignorance.

2 out of 9 is pretty good going.

Another two within the seven that didn't "make it" had serious injuries at the worst possible time of their careers.

On the other subject. I'm fairly sure McKay mentioned something about being in favour of "colt teams" playing in the lower leagues. He'll argue it would give promising younger players (well, some at least) more of an opportunity to develop and could/should be beneficial to the international side in years to come. I, and countless others, will argue that larger leagues (particularly the top division) would create more opportunities for younger players to develop. I guess we all know which of the two is more likely to occur.

I am not sure what proportion you think is acceptable - but 2 out of 9 looks pretty good to me

Actually I agree; Scully was starting to show why the club kept him on, and it's unfortunate that he got injured. But I don't think he'll be a money-making transfer. And I would say that I don't think Bannigan will be either, in view of what's happened. We all hope that he'll be back and playing as well as we know he can play, but it'll now probably take a long time until a bigger club will want to take a chance on him, if they ever do.

Since 2011 we've got Lindsay as an established player with great potential, and we've sold one defender. Any others have been fringe players at best, mostly disappearing. So, realistically, 4 assets out of how many dozens of players being trained by our youth system? Still, there's the "community" aspect of it, which is to be supported.

Anyone involved in the game I've spoke to has said that no more than 10% of players will ever make it, no matter how much money is spent on a youth system. The vast majority don't make it, that's just life.

2 out of 9 is pretty good going. To say anything else is just ignorance.

I seem to remember that the national footballing academy in England had spent zillions on trying to develop young players, with only Rooney to really show for it.

Is the drop off rate linked to 'thats me signed up, ill no practice anymore'

I reckon we all know players, or at least suspect we know of players, that applies to. Bit of a generalisation tho' and I'm sure the drop off rate is far more to do with picking up injuries at a crucial time in a player's development or making a poor career move. In fact a "poor move" is probably the wrong expression. A young player can leave all but a few Scottish clubs, go to England (or on occasion elsewhere), never kick a ball in a first team league match and still earn far more dosh than he would've done remaining in Scotland.

The simple fact is that usually about 90% are not good enough. They've either got the talent but lack the dedication or vice versa.

It's not all about how much we make on a player either. Bannigan for example, we were set to lose him in the summer for nothing before his injury. Had we done so, would anyone really feel that we hadn't got value for money out of him? Absolutely not.

Youth set ups have age bands and a squad for each band. This is feeding into a senior set up that has only a single squad. From a numbers perspective only a couple of young players are ever likely to make the step up each year. Say a career lasts 10-15 years. If five players made the step up every year then during that time you'd need a squad of 50 to 75 players to sustain this. It's simply not feasible for more than 1 or 2 players to make the step up every couple of years because that's how many the system can cope with.

Edit - Also these players are competing with teams with much bigger resources to spend on youth development who's 'cast off's' will filter down through the system and compete with homegrown players of less succesful set-ups.

Edited by scottymagoo

Was it Howard Wilkinson who was talking about the Leeds academy way back when, saying it'll be 3 years before they see a first team player, and 5 before they start looking like making a profit from a player? My memory is hazy around that decade.

Almost seems like folk are arguing that the youth system is a waste or money (which realistically means we would have to go back to getting free transfers wherever possible).....while concurrently being disappointed that we're signing guys surplus to requirements elsewhere.