January Window

Firhillista

The SFA/Malky McKay will be looking at this from the Scotland international team perspective. Coming from that angle it's logical to assume they'll be looking at introducing the ugly sisters reserve teams into senior football. Much as I'd be opposed to the concept I'd find it hard to argue that it wouldn't be eventually helpful to the international side. While I wouldn't discount everything Regan/McKay say I'd be wary nonetheless.

Although the OF will often get the best of youngsters (not always - some go to smaller teams to get a better chance of a start or to English clubs) that is still only a small part of the youth development and we need better youth development right through Scottish football if things are to improve. Boosting the chances of OF youngsters while reducing the development of all the other young lads in Scottish football would do the opposite of this I believe. Of course there might be a small short term improvement - but only might - but it's the long term we should be looking at. Sounds to me another reason why McKay is likely to prove another bad decision by the SFA.

Good luck to Banton, but bit-part player in the fourth tier in England? Not going to be much different/better than Amoo is he?

That's his thistle career sorted as far as you are concerned then, a bit like Doolan and Erskine coming from the Juniors, useless signings and what's the point eh?

Welcome Jason how long have we signed him for?

On loan until end of season.

[Edit] Snap! I see he describes himself as a left winger so maybe a bit different from what we have - and maybe seen as cover for Lawless while Amoo cover for Erskine?

<< Speaking in an interview with LFC TV in January 2011, Banton described himself as a left-winger, saying that "I'm right-footed but I like to play on the left and cut in."[4] He can also play "in the hole" behind the striker or as a striker.>>

Edited by Mr Bunny

Not perhaps the window we were hoping for but if you look at it logically:

We have a better back up goalie

We have a better option at RB/LB in Dumbuya

We have extra CB cover

We've replaced McDaid who was never going to make it with a player who will at least be better than him

3rd striker back at the club

Hopefully Fraser/Bannigan/Scully will make it back before the end of the season.

Must still have some budget if a good free transfer came up, players will be released today who are surplus to requirements to allow them to sign outwith the window.

• Like 1

A right sided player that likes to play down the left. Sounds like a replacement for Higgy (at last!). Could be good news for Stevie Lawless who, if not thru the middle, is at least better on the opposite flank. Not so good news for Amoo, methinks. Also adds some substance to McDaid being deemed surplus.

btw good shout from ThickAsThieves

YAAAAAAAAAAAS! Just when I thought the transfer window had passed Archie by he pulls out a January rabbit special. Canny beat an Archie No Mark January signing who makes no impact, gets bench splinters, then trots off out of Firhill come May. Only sign players if they are better than what we've already got? Mmmmm. I smell sh!7e. Poor Declan McDaid, benched for half a season, released then replaced by his league 2 English equivalent. Haha. Brilliant stuff.

YAAAAAAAAAAAS! Just when I thought the transfer window had passed Archie by he pulls out a January rabbit special. Canny beat an Archie No Mark January signing who makes no impact, gets bench splinters, then trots off out of Firhill come May. Only sign players if they are better than what we've already got? Mmmmm. I smell sh!7e. Poor Declan McDaid, benched for half a season, released then replaced by his league 2 English equivalent. Haha. Brilliant stuff.

You have a picture of a pair of underpants then say you smell sh!7e. Yip, me too.

• Like 1

We are basically as we were before the window. Hopefully it will be enough. We need more goals if we want to be safe in the top 6. Disappointed that we couldnt get our targets

"Safe in the top 6."

I quite like the sound of that. If our main battle for the rest of the season is to stay in the top 6, then let's enjoy it!

Nearly 100 senior games, and a grand total of 10 goals........ I reckon he's just what we need!

No doubt Doolans' 100th goal will be delayed even more as he returns to being a bench warmer for an inferior player....

Staying positive....... Here's hoping Banton will be brilliant....!

Edited by Jaggernaut

That's his thistle career sorted as far as you are concerned then, a bit like Doolan and Erskine coming from the Juniors, useless signings and what's the point eh?

I think it's only natural for fans to be less than exuberant by the signing of Banton. For whatever reason, he hasn't managed to get a game at Crawley Town since the end of October and has already had a number of clubs in his short career.

However, the player deserves a chance. We don't know his background and we should wait until we see him play a number of games for us before we judge. You and I both lived through enough of John Lambie's "What the f*ck are we signing this guy for" acquisitions to realise this and we've all seen players come in that we've had high hopes for, only to see them flop.

My main worry about Banton is that, as he hasn't played for so long, it may take him a wee while to get match fit and there are less than four months of the season left.

Already there are worries because he hasn't played for so long....Is our development side that bad, we're raking through the bins of Crawley. If Nisbet is that bad, or cant make the cut against Azeez, let him go now, then have a massive clear-out of the running of this side. It appears Archie has no faith in what's being produced. the whole reasoning for a development team is to bring players through to the big team and sell on the others. Non of this is happening, the Weirs money is being squandered up against a toilet wall. Crawley indeed. Yet again Arch is bedazzled by a sharp suited agent..............Oh and welcome to Firhill son.