January Window

Firhillista

The Producers of that post have to realise that only Jags of a certain vintage will get it :)

To diverge for a moment, only saw that movie in the Salon off Byres Road one Saturday in the seventies after the late cancellation of a Jags v Hibs game!

I also saw it for the first (but far from the last) time at the salon. As I recall, it was actually the second feature but can not remember what was top of the bill. Has to be one of the 10 best movies of all time...

Bit on twitter about us being in for Lee Erwin on loan from Leeds (He's currently at Oldham).

He seemed to be decent enough for Motherwell a few years ago.

Article at 10:19

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-9687387

I was actually thinking last week that a nice transfer fee for Liam and Lee Erwin would be a bit of cracking business though I am sure I read that he is on a years loan at Oldham. Was very good at Motherwell, so good that thug Mohsni gave him a good booting at the end of the play off game...lol. Would imagine he is on a fairly hefty wage at Elland Road though

Edited by Lindau

I honestly don't think he is that good, though he can score the occasional sensational goal, so if Killie have got this amount, it is a fantastic bit of business. Rumours are that McDonald is going to Ibrokes for £200,000 as a replacement for Gilks. They have a Newcastle reserve keeper to take his place but McDonald has been half decent for them. Killie fans are also worried that MJ might trouser most of the Coulibaly money before getting out. My worry would be giving Clark any of the money they received, to bring in another 30 players that no one has heard of!

I thought myself that this might be one of these transfers that agents wangle by selling a player on the basis of a video of sensational moments which don't give a true overall view of a player's ability.

• Like 1

Ziggy was almost as big a failure as Stevenson. Well done to Archie for realising this.

Compare his attitude to Muzzy or Barton or Booth. Chalk and cheese. If Keown has anything like the same ability/desire as his father he will be a great signing.

I hope we can keep Liam till the end of the season ad also sign a striker if Gordon's wages have been freed up.

I think it's unfair to criticise his attitude. Any time he has been left out the team he has come back in and gone about his job the right way. Can't remember him moaning about it.

I think he is one that can be described as a 'good, honest pro'. He's a decent player and he has done OK for us in spells, he has also made a few mistakes.

It's funny to think that Liam Lindsay (one of our own, future revenue bringer) seems to be exempt from criticism when he makes a mistake. Either that or there is some sort of excuse made for him. Meanwhile, Gordon, who stated that he wishes to play at the highest possible level, was slated for every little error that he made.

In hindsight, Ziggy will probably realise that the biggest mistake he made was his opening statement when he signed. He meant nothing derogatory by it, he simply wanted to let people know he has ambitions to further his football career. The majority of fans didn't take to this and he was on a hiding to nothing from the start.

ETA - Just another point on his attitude, albeit away from the pitch. At the kids Christmas Party, the players are all present for the calendar signing. As you can imagine, some players are comfortable doing this and some of the quieter ones not so much. You get a smile for a photo but not much else, a wee bit of chit chat here and there. Gordon was holding the queue up because he was chatting to the kids that much. Asking them if they played football, their favourite Thistle player, asking them if they were looking forward to Christmas etc. He really went out the way for them which was really nice for the young fans.

Edited by Jag
  • Like 10

Ziggy has had a bit of an up and down spell with us but his form over the recent months has definitely improved.

He'll be 3rd choice at right back now and has the chance to move to a club who could potentially be offering European football.

Not many Jags players get the chance to do that!

I think it'll be a good move for all parties if it comes off.

It's funny to think that Liam Lindsay (one of our own, future revenue bringer) seems to be exempt from criticism when he makes a mistake. Either that or there is some sort of excuse made for him

Can't agree with that. Liam has copped plenty of abuse on here since he came into the side and the manager hasn't been exempt from the criticism of him either telling him he needs to cut out the errors. He seems to be taking that on board now. Re Ziggy, thought he would be a great signing but sadly it didn't work out. A wee look at his Twitter account shows he is a half decent bloke with plenty of time for the club. As has been said, he probably suits a more defensive type of game. Our full backs are always encouraged to attack and I don't think that's Ziggys strong point. A move will suit both parties now that Muzzy is back.

Edited by Lindau

<p>Ziggy is an intelligent guy and decent player who has good and bad games like every player in the world but we have posters on here who see a poor game as proof  that the player</p>

<p>(a) is hopeless</p>

<p>or</p>

<p>(B) couldn't care less.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mind you I wonder sometimes if the critics ever played the game and if they did maybe this old saying applies :-</p>

<p> </p>

<p>"The older I get the better I was "</p>

<div style="left: -1000px; top: 72.4px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"> </div>

What Lindau said,

Just now Liam is much better than he was before. I think that comes with experience. Given the fact he is one of our top goal scorers as well as a centre back who now knows what he is doing, he is an incredibly useful asset to us. I, for one, will be sad to see him go. Though the 5 million price tag may make that a tad more bearable ;-)

Just escalating.....

ETA - Just another point on his attitude, albeit away from the pitch. At the kids Christmas Party, the players are all present for the calendar signing. As you can imagine, some players are comfortable doing this and some of the quieter ones not so much. You get a smile for a photo but not much else, a wee bit of chit chat here and there. Gordon was holding the queue up because he was chatting to the kids that much. Asking them if they played football, their favourite Thistle player, asking them if they were looking forward to Christmas etc. He really went out the way for them which was really nice for the young fans.

Just wanted to echo this, I was really impressed by him at the same event, went out of his way to chat to my very quiet son and ask him what position he played, etc. great attitude.

• Like 1

I think EVERY player in our squad would like to play at a higher level, surely that goes without saying.

His choice of words went a bit beyond that though, and when his performances on the park didn't really match up to his own opinion of himself, then those comments are obviously going to come back on him.

Glad to hear he spoke to the kids though :thumbsup:

I think EVERY player in our squad would like to play at a higher level, surely that goes without saying.

His choice of words went a bit beyond that though, and when his performances on the park didn't really match up to his own opinion of himself, then those comments are obviously going to come back on him.

Glad to hear he spoke to the kids though :thumbsup:

Yeah, as I said - a hiding to nothing.

It was because his attitude was under scrutiny that I mentioned the kids party. I don't think there is any need for your sarcasm.

I think the Gordon situation will prove positive for Thiste. There was obviously an agreement in place allowing Ziggy to go once Muzzy was fit. Even though he still had 6 months left on a contract, both parties kept to their agreement to cancel the contract when the moment was right. We seem to have a good working atmosphere at the club where people enjoying working, and in the case of Andy Little, where the club allow others to use the facilities whilst trying to gain fitness. It is a good reputation to have and can help attract a player when money is not the sole reason for choosing a new team.

• Like 2

Dominic Docherty joins Queens Park on loan for remainder of season. Hopefully not the only Jag gracing Hampden turf this season.

That's a good move. He has looked good anytime I have seen him, but like a few of the development side, needs to toughen up a bit in the lower leagues. Good to see some East Fife fans raving about James Penrice in P&B

• Like 1