January Window

Firhillista

I am disappointed that we r not looking like bringing anyone in, however if we were turned down on our 2 preferred choices then I agree that there is no point in going in for someone who is not going to improve the squad (German last season). After the window shuts we still have the loan system available if necessary.

I think it's harsh to judge him on a loan spell at a club and a home pitch that just would not suit him in the least.

There are only so many loan deals you can do for these players. Many people within the game agree with my point re the U20s v Reserves. Malky Mackay said last week that he hadn't met a single person within the game who had a good thing to say about the U20 league, and the universal preference was a return to reserve football. The young players need experience against senior pros. I would say LIB's point about senior pros playing the game like a friendly could potentially result in them not getting back in to the first team. I'm not saying reserve football is perfect but I would say it would be more beneficial for the top tier clubs and the young players than the U20 league.

How much benefit really would a reserve league be? The only clubs I think that would benefit would be the old firm, aberdeen and hearts who have big enough squads to put 5-6 seasoned pros in. The rest of the clubs like Thistle who work on a first team squad of only about 16-18 players would only be able to field a couple of players in these reserve games which as far as I know you are already allowed to field two overage players and an overage goalkeeper.

If you look at our squad from Saturday on the bench there were only 3 overage outfield players (Amoo, Doolan and Dumbuya) of which the only player i would risk in an under 20/reserve team would be Dumbuya to aid in his fitness levels. I believe that everyone but the big 4 who have much bigger squads would really benefit from this. If you look at it from the development on the under 20 players trying to improve a handful of games against the old firm in the reserve league is hardly going to make any difference to their overall development as a player.

A consideration I would make to the under 20 league is increase the number of overage outfield players to 3 instead of 2 but the reintroduction of a reserve league would probably be no different for teams like Thistle compared to the current under 20 league set up.

From Daily Record:

I think that’s us. We got a couple of knockbacks yesterday on our targets so I don’t think anything is going to happen.

I said at the start, as long as we weren’t any weaker at the end of the window - and I don’t think we are.

We have Muzzy (Mustapha Dumbuya) coming back from injury, young Kevin Nisbet coming back from a loan, we have lost a couple of fringe players and we added Niall. So we are like for like in terms of competition in key areas.

We had a couple of targets that we wanted and we got told they weren’t going to be available.

We won't be told but would have been interesting to find out why our bids were refused. With the freeing up of some wages mcdaid, Gordon, Syme and a couple of younger lads I thought would have perhaps been enough to bring someone in plus the much vaunted players find - though lack of activity perhaps not a ringing endorsement. Interesting to see how our rivals get on - Casey have taken McKay back on loan I see

Really disappointed if we are not bringing in anyone before the deadline. We have let a number of fringe players either leave on load or for good. Looking at the current squad a few injuries and we could be in real trouble.

I dont know how long our injured players are out and it seems that Bannigan is done for the season so I really think we need Fraser back to add some depth and competition for places.

I would say LIB's point about senior pros playing the game like a friendly could potentially result in them not getting back in to the first team.

Not when it comes to players easing their way back from injury. Nor players maybe of an age where they're only going to be squad players and just need a bit of match fitness. And from my recollections that's the very sort of players you regularly see in reserve football. I can even mind seeing a 40+ year old Owen Coyle playing in midfield for St Johnstone reserves. There would have to be something in place to act as an incentive to all clubs to want their reserve team to be successful. Otherwise it would just be a familiar shambles. Some trying. some less so.

The SFA/Malky McKay will be looking at this from the Scotland international team perspective. Coming from that angle it's logical to assume they'll be looking at introducing the ugly sisters reserve teams into senior football. Much as I'd be opposed to the concept I'd find it hard to argue that it wouldn't be eventually helpful to the international side. While I wouldn't discount everything Regan/McKay say I'd be wary nonetheless.

I am disappointed that we r not looking like bringing anyone in, however if we were turned down on our 2 preferred choices then I agree that there is no point in going in for someone who is not going to improve the squad (German last season). After the window shuts we still have the loan system available if necessary.

I agree with you there. I was really looking forward to a new signing or two but if we can't get players in that are going to improve the squad then there is no point.

So we have from first team squad:

Out:

Stuckmann

Gordon

Wilson

McDaid

In:

Ridgers

Keown

Penrice, McMullen and Docherty all out on loan but are still very much classed as development players anyway.

With Dumbaya back from injury we have, in effect, replaced Gordon with him and McDaid and Wilson with Keown. Wilson and McDaid rarely got any game time anyway so neither will be a loss.

Nisbet back from his loan spell as well so possibly not as bad for numbers as I first thought!! I would still have liked to see us sign a striker though.

18 players not including the three injured or any of the youngsters (except Nisbet as he's made 10 appearances for us).

Cerny - Scully - Ridgers

Dumbuya - Elliott

Devine - Keown

Lindsay

Booth

Barton - Osman

Welsh - Bannigan

Edwards - Fraser

Lawless - Amoo

Erskine

Doolan - Azeez - Nisbet

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a free agent in the forwards area as we look a little light.

I think it's harsh to judge him on a loan spell at a club and a home pitch that just would not suit him in the least.

There are only so many loan deals you can do for these players. Many people within the game agree with my point re the U20s v Reserves. Malky Mackay said last week that he hadn't met a single person within the game who had a good thing to say about the U20 league, and the universal preference was a return to reserve football. The young players need experience against senior pros. I would say LIB's point about senior pros playing the game like a friendly could potentially result in them not getting back in to the first team. I'm not saying reserve football is perfect but I would say it would be more beneficial for the top tier clubs and the young players than the U20 league.

Yet, one of his radical suggestions was to have Colt teams in the lower leagues ?

Nisbet back from his loan spell as well so possibly not as bad for numbers as I first thought!! I would still have liked to see us sign a striker though.

Go along with that tho' every time Archie has signed a striker he's added the tag "can offer us something different". Avoiding the obvious sarcastic replies I'm not sure what type of striker would in fact offer us something different. Maybe a wee below the radar "John Baird" type of striker or a deidball heider type?

Perhaps bringing in another striker is really just a case of signing someone similar to what we have? The then crux of the matter being quality. I've no doubt whatsoever Archie could sign a striker tonight to make up the numbers. But if he can't get the necessary quality or the fabled "offering us something different" then I can see why we're not signing anyone.

Would liked to have seen another striker in, but happy with the squad. As I have said before I really think Amoo could do a job as an out and out striker. Unless he has a really good 2nd half of the season I can see his Firhill career ending at the end of the season so I hope we don't get rid of a potentially half decent striker, without giving him a throw of the dice up front

• Like 1