Partick Thistle Vs Formartine United

jagfox

Football returns to Firhill and despite personally enjoying the break it'll be good to be back to the Palace of Football.

Decent prices (season tickets and fan cards can now have the game added over the phone or internet) coupled with not too bad a weather forecast will hopefully see a half decent crowd to witness the Jags ease into the next round.

Derek Young playing for the opposition and hopefully we can continue a decent record against Highland league sides.

Not expecting the visitors to make it easy for us but hopefully a few goals spread throughout the team and a clean sheet would be nice.

hopefully a few goals spread throughout the team and a clean sheet would be nice.

If we score a few, hope Ade gets the majority of them, just to boost his confidence. Would hope that we go with Dools and Ade upfront and if the result pans out the way we expect it too, it could put Dools very close to the milestone!

Don't underestimate these lads. They put 4 past Annan to get here and they have some experienced players in their team that won't want to make life easy for the 11 blokes with 2 arms and 2 legs in red and yellow. As well as Derek Young, they have Paul Lawson (Celtic, Ross C & 'Well) and Garry Wood (ICT & Ross County) available and they all have experience of cup runs to a final, no less.

This is being described as the biggest day in the clubs history, the fans are up for it and the players will be too. They've already sold 250 tickets and suspect that they'll bring up to 300 on the day which is pretty close to what we might expect from some SPL teams -

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/pitmedden-pack-assemble-for-scottish-cup-showdown-in-glasgow/

...what a load of bunkum - 4-0 nil the Jags! GETRIGHTINNTY'EM

• Like 1

As posted elsewhere the U20s have a cup game on Sunday (what brainless clown decided on that date?). Others, who could've played at least part of the game, are out on loan. So even if we wanted to I doubt there's a side we could put out that could be described as experimental. We know Muzzy will play if thought prudent from a fitness point of view. The only two players who could start that would surprise us if it was a league game are Ridgers and McDaid so we'll play a strong side regardless who's chosen.

Formartine are likely to play a physical game to compensate for the gap in overall fitness. Biggest worry could be players getting injured or sent off in retaliation. I'm not for a minute saying they're a dirty side. Just that's often the way with such matches. Think Son of Joe got himself sent off against Cove and was unavailable for the next round when the Pars beat us at home.

If we score a few, hope Ade gets the majority of them, just to boost his confidence. Would hope that we go with Dools and Ade upfront and if the result pans out the way we expect it too, it could put Dools very close to the milestone!

i can see your point but at the same time Azeez can score goals against Dundee which is clearly a higher level than formatine. I can also see why it would be good for dools to get to the 100 goals. At the same time though I'd like to see what McDaid can do, he showed promise a couple of years ago, is regularly doing well in development league, is only just 21 so still plenty of time for improvement but this season he has only had a few cameos in first team. I'd like to see him at least get 45 minutes if not the full 90 to see how he does with either one of Ade or Kris playing alongside

Please don't play Ridgers, please don't play Ridgers, please don't play Ridgers

Careful Flashman, the critic police will be on to you. Remember it was just a bounce game :)

So I take it you'd rather chance it and trust Cerny doesn't get injured before Scully is 100% fit? That's a scenario that would see Ridgers in goal playing behind defenders for the first time in a league game or next round of the Cup.

i can see your point but at the same time Azeez can score goals against Dundee which is clearly a higher level than formatine. I can also see why it would be good for dools to get to the 100 goals. At the same time though I'd like to see what McDaid can do, he showed promise a couple of years ago, is regularly doing well in development league, is only just 21 so still plenty of time for improvement but this season he has only had a few cameos in first team. I'd like to see him at least get 45 minutes if not the full 90 to see how he does with either one of Ade or Kris playing alongside

McDaid isn't a striker so unless you mean playing in 'The Hole' or as a #10 I'm not getting the cut of your jib?

To be quite honest i dont really care who is in goals. Whoever it is shouldnt be overly troubled. What is really concerning is some of the posts that are almost fearful of a highland league side

I don't think anyone is fearful of a highland league side, think we are more fearful of our own team because we are not renowned for blasting teams off the pitch easily when expected to win

Has he not been playing as a striker for the Development team?

Yes. Sometimes alternating with McLaughln. Probably more out of necessity but it's no doubt a good experience. But Declan's no more an out and out striker than Stevie Lawless. I know the jury's still out on McDaid but if he was to push on and contend for a first team place it would likely be in a sort of Higginbotham type role.

Would have normally said should be resting players and giving others a run out, but they have already had a long break so this should be game time and a warm up for ICT the week after which is a far more important game IMO.

Should be a walk over, but expecting a tough game.