Partick Thistle Vs Formartine United

jagfox

I said if it isn't clearly evident of the gulf in class between a premiership team and a non-league team there is a fundamental problem. Cup shocks on this scale never happen, if they do, its generally because the highest ranked side have fielded a heavily weakened side.

Am I right in thinking that no non-league team (though that term maybe should not be used for Highland League teams) has ever knocked out a top flight team in the Cup?

I would usually never post a link to the Daily Rag, but no such result figures in their top 10 Cup shocks:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ten-greatest-cup-shocks-ties-7135370

Am I right in thinking that no non-league team (though that term maybe should not be used for Highland League teams) has ever knocked out a top flight team in the Cup?

I would usually never post a link to the Daily Rag, but no such result figures in their top 10 Cup shocks:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ten-greatest-cup-shocks-ties-7135370

I think a couple of draws with first division sides (Cove v us, Turriff v Morton off the top of my head) is as well as the non-leagues have done, other than Bonnyrigg beating Dumbarton this season. That doesn't mean we can take this easy though. There seems to have been a fair bit of investment at a few clubs at the top end of the highland league and they have some decent players. Added to that they have nothing at all to lose, if we put 6 past them that's hardly going to be embarassig for them so all the pressure is on us. Talk of playing half a development team is ridiculous.

Monehjags why are you so downbeat before a ball has been kicked? It seems to me that you are pre-empting a cup shock that hasn't even happened yet.

It seems that you no longer wait till after the game to come on here and slate the players and the manager. A very sad state of affairs.

From the Fraserburgh FC Wikipedia page:

Fraserburgh's most famous victory was in the Scottish Cup on 31 January 1959, where they defeated Dundee, one of the top clubs in Scotland at the time, 1–0 at Bellsea Park. This is widely regarded as the biggest ever 'giant killing' shock in the Scottish Cup. Three seasons later, Dundee were Scottish League champions.

Since then, the worst result for a team in the top league is probably Hamilton's 4-1 defeat last season at Annan Athletic, three leagues below them. That's the same Annan Athletic who lost 4-0 to Formartine United in the previous round of this year's tournament.

• Like 1

From the Fraserburgh FC Wikipedia page:

Fraserburgh's most famous victory was in the Scottish Cup on 31 January 1959, where they defeated Dundee, one of the top clubs in Scotland at the time, 1–0 at Bellsea Park. This is widely regarded as the biggest ever 'giant killing' shock in the Scottish Cup. Three seasons later, Dundee were Scottish League champions.

Since then, the worst result for a team in the top league is probably Hamilton's 4-1 defeat last season at Annan Athletic, three leagues below them. That's the same Annan Athletic who lost 4-0 to Formartine United in the previous round of this year's tournament.

Odd that the Daily Rag missed that one.

On second thoughts, maybe not.

Ian, Where have I said we are going to get beat? I think and ive said we will win comfortably and don't think there should be any cause for concern at all. Some other posts have mentioned the amount of money sent in the highland league and being a difficult match. You have read want you want to believe from my comments, anything to suit your daft agenda of being the number 1 fan.

Id be surprised if we played 3 at the back. I'm guessing Formartine will play 1 up front and pack their midfield and defence.

In that situation we could play a back three with Adam Barton coming out from the back regularly - would let him find space that otherwise wouldn't be available if they are man marking back and midfield. I don't know if we'll do that as I've no idea how Formantine play. I'd imagine we'll have at least two plans, depending on how defensive they play. If they do sit deep, we'll need the likes of Squiddy, Lawless and Amoo (if played) to be on form and really take them on. Booth could be vital too but don't see Dumbya getting a game.

This is great. People now arguing about what might happen.

I think we will win comfortably. However, I'm planning on waiting until after the game to review what we did or didn't do well.

Quite right. Bit silly folk arguing over sheer conjecture.

eta My Man of the Match is Callum Booth. Head and shoulders above anyone else :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Quite right. Bit silly folk arguing over sheer conjecture. eta My Man of the Match is Callum Booth. Head and shoulders above anyone else :thumbsup2:

I think you'll find that Adam Barton (and Lindsay if he plays) is head and shoulders above everybody else. And chest too when comparing with Lawless.

What about how well Azeez took his goal when faced with the keeper to beat....... :D

Anyway, without sounding to 'negative', I reckon we should go with doolan and azeez up top with Erskine just behind. As often is the case, its up to Erskine how many goals we score. When he is on form we generally play better as a team