Vs St Johnstone That's Entertainment?

MMCF

Congratulations St Johnstone, for a diddy team you gave us a lesson on how to win, with not a shot in the game you walked away with three points. There was not one single player on our team who could honestly put their hand out to collect a wage after that performance, its the sort of performance that gets managers the sack, so in that respect well done lads. No threat, no imagination and no skill. how Lawless stayed on the field only Archie knows, I would suspect even George Graham would have been embarrassed to offer Azeez a contract for fear that it was to obvious he was taking a back hander. As for the goal, the goal keepers must command his area, to stand in silence and watch was unbelievable, also who showed Elliot how to kick a ball, the boy can only kick with his instep, he is only fit for the juniors and way out of his depth. Booth took up great positioning on the wing all night, but there was no one with the intelligence to put the ball in front of him to run on to, every time he had to stop and wait for the ball. And please get out of the notion that football is an entertainment, that's only for the yuppies. Football was created for one mining village to go into another and totally humiliate them and perhaps a wee fight, this tradition is still alive and kicking down in Ayrshire thank goodness, ask Roughie.

• Like 1

This post does not pretend to be an answer to the problem of negative game-killing football, but is a suggestion as to how one aspect of it can be tackled.

I have always hated "corner-flagging". I do not like it when other teams do it it to us or when we attempt to do it to other teams. I do not like it when watching football as a neutral (eg on TV etc).

The practice is a thief of entertainment. It drains the excitement out of what could be the most tense and pulsating period of the match. The team that is desperate to equalise or win is denied the opportunity to mount that last crazy attack. The team that is hanging on is diverted from what should be their aim to score a breakaway goal and make the game secure. Both sets of fans and all neutrals are cheated.

Furthermore as we saw last night corner-flagging induces both taunting play-acting and frustrated retribution, with consequent danger of serious injury. Play is by definition at the very edge of the pitch, so warming up substitutes can draw themselves into the melee. At least one set of supporters will likely be very close to the action and of course the corner may mark the point of connection where jeering and worked up fans confront each other. A powder keg of tension ripe for explosion, all for no positive entertainment value and denying the opportunity of some good open attacking football to bring the game to its conclusion.

A possible rule change to deal with this? Very open to better ideas from others, but here is a starter for ten. Mark a quadrant on the pitch, 10 yards or metres or whatever it is now from the corner flag. This will also be helpful in keeping defensive players back in the right place when a corner kick is being taken. If any team plays the ball into (or takes possession of the ball in) the quadrant (this would include being awarded a throw in, corner or free kick in the quadrant), it has (say) 15 or 30 seconds to take the ball out of the quadrant, otherwise a free kick is awarded to the other team. This would be similar to some rugby scenarios where if a team takes the ball into some forms of contact it has so much time to recycle the ball otherwise scrum put in goes to the other team. No doubt there are some improvements to the detail of this proposal which would make it work better, but I think that the basic idea is sound

Quad-Rant over!

How do our attendances stack up against theirs? Considering we apparently play this exciting and entertaining brand of football?

They actually do ok if you take the population of Perth in to account. Their problem is the same as ours and countless other clubs - the stadium was built far too big for them.

Maybe teams like us and ST J should aim for a stadium that holds no more than 3,000 people. Is that it?

This post does not pretend to be an answer to the problem of negative game-killing football, but is a suggestion as to how one aspect of it can be tackled.

I have always hated "corner-flagging". I do not like it when other teams do it it to us or when we attempt to do it to other teams. I do not like it when watching football as a neutral (eg on TV etc).

The practice is a thief of entertainment. It drains the excitement out of what could be the most tense and pulsating period of the match. The team that is desperate to equalise or win is denied the opportunity to mount that last crazy attack. The team that is hanging on is diverted from what should be their aim to score a breakaway goal and make the game secure. Both sets of fans and all neutrals are cheated.

Furthermore as we saw last night corner-flagging induces both taunting play-acting and frustrated retribution, with consequent danger of serious injury. Play is by definition at the very edge of the pitch, so warming up substitutes can draw themselves into the melee. At least one set of supporters will likely be very close to the action and of course the corner may mark the point of connection where jeering and worked up fans confront each other. A powder keg of tension ripe for explosion, all for no positive entertainment value and denying the opportunity of some good open attacking football to bring the game to its conclusion.

A possible rule change to deal with this? Very open to better ideas from others, but here is a starter for ten. Mark a quadrant on the pitch, 10 yards or metres or whatever it is now from the corner flag. This will also be helpful in keeping defensive players back in the right place when a corner kick is being taken. If any team plays the ball into (or takes possession of the ball in) the quadrant (this would include being awarded a throw in, corner or free kick in the quadrant), it has (say) 15 or 30 seconds to take the ball out of the quadrant, otherwise a free kick is awarded to the other team. This would be similar to some rugby scenarios where if a team takes the ball into some forms of contact it has so much time to recycle the ball otherwise scrum put in goes to the other team. No doubt there are some improvements to the detail of this proposal which would make it work better, but I think that the basic idea is sound

Quad-Rant over!

That's a great idea. But I would say that 15 seconds is too long....... 10 seconds max.

Congratulations St Johnstone, for a diddy team you gave us a lesson on how to win, with not a shot in the game you walked away with three points. There was not one single player on our team who could honestly put their hand out to collect a wage after that performance, its the sort of performance that gets managers the sack, so in that respect well done lads. No threat, no imagination and no skill. how Lawless stayed on the field only Archie knows, I would suspect even George Graham would have been embarrassed to offer Azeez a contract for fear that it was to obvious he was taking a back hander. As for the goal, the goal keepers must command his area, to stand in silence and watch was unbelievable, also who showed Elliot how to kick a ball, the boy can only kick with his instep, he is only fit for the juniors and way out of his depth. Booth took up great positioning on the wing all night, but there was no one with the intelligence to put the ball in front of him to run on to, every time he had to stop and wait for the ball. And please get out of the notion that football is an entertainment, that's only for the yuppies. Football was created for one mining village to go into another and totally humiliate them and perhaps a wee fight, this tradition is still alive and kicking down in Ayrshire thank goodness, ask Roughie.

Well this is a novelty, a Sabbath bloody Sabbath post with some valid comments. Lawless point correct, Elliot point correct, Booth point correct. Now back to the usual. Are you honestly blaming Cerny for that goal?? As for your pet subject, Ade Azeez, and I am only talking about Wednesday night, what service did he get? Why have a dig at him coming on as a sub, when guys like Doolan, Erskine, Edwards all of whom were rank, escape any mention?

Edited by Lindau

Well this is a novelty, a Sabbath bloody Sabbath post with some valid comments. Lawless point correct, Elliot point correct, Booth point correct. Now back to the usual. Are you honestly blaming Cerny for that goal?? As for your pet subject, Ade Azeez, and I am only talking about Wednesday night, what service did he get? Why have a dig at him coming on as a sub, when guys like Doolan, Erskine, Edwards all of whom were rank, escape any mention?

I'm glad you said that Lindau, I was beginning to worry something was wrong with me as I actually agreed with some of these points! :lol:

Edited by Graemei
  • Like 1

No element of them sitting back in this game, though that might change now that they lead Celtic 2-1

Different opponents and tactics cause teams to react in different ways. Our inept second half performance allowed Saints to see the game out in a very basic fashion. Celtic will create different challenges and sitting back wouldn't be the best option at this time.

For what it's worth I hope they hang on for their win today.

• Like 1

You honestly couldn't make that up. Saints denied what I thought was a penalty for a Scott Brown foul, Celtic wander up the park, Tierney crosses it, comes off a Saints players hip, then on to his arm and Thomson gives them a penalty 2-2. They are the best team in the league but some of the decisions both them and their South Side cousins get are just embarrassing!

Edited by Lindau

You honestly couldn't make that up. Saints denied what I thought was a penalty for a Scott Brown foul, Celtic wander up the park, Tierney crosses it, comes off a Saints players hip, then on to his arm and Thomson gives them a penalty 2-2. They are the best team in the league but some of the decisions both them and their South Side cousins get are just embarrassing!

The conspiracy theorists would point out (wait a minute does that make me one too?) that the person involved in the penalty incident was also involved in something similar on Wednesday night. Perhaps, rightly or wrongly, a word is going round about his reputation for having his own personal gravity field.