Aberdeen 4/2/17

Lindau

2-0 Aberdeen sadly!

Wel I got that right and had a few bob on it at the bookies. As I said when the window shut, our inability to bring a striker in to a misfiring front line could come back to haunt us big time at the end of the season. The usual Azeez haters will be out tonight but the malaise goes deeper than that. Kris Doolan is having a poor season in my opinion, Erskine has faded after a great start. Midfielders aren't scoring goals and teams are more aware of the danger Liam provides at set pieces. 4 games without a goal is poor by anyone's standard and I am not sure how we are going to rectify that

I wasn't at today's game however been at the last 4 before it and Doolan has looked absolutely hopeless. At least with Azeez he will create a chance (will never score right enough) but with Doolan he doesn't look like he will ever create a chance let alone score a goal at the moment!

You are right. Kris has never been a prolific scorer and tends to score in bursts then have pretty long barren spells. We need him to hit one of these bursts now or we could be in trouble. Teams like Motherwell (McDonald and Moult) and Ross Co (Boyce and Schalk) have the power up front that we don't have and because of that they won't be involved at the bottom. Hamilton, Killie, Dundee, ICT and ourselves don't have established strike partnerships and as a result it's likely they will be the ones that will fight it out at the bottom. The thing that might get us through is our goalie and defence.

Edited by Lindau

We offer nothing going forward. Very poor.

We don't create a lot of chances so the strikers are under enormous pressure to convert the few chances they get and at the moment and indeed for most of this season, it hasn't happened for them. We need more from guys like Erskine and Lawless who possess the ability to score and also carve open defences.

Thistle played some good stuff today , just as well their finishing was sh**e. This was a quote from an Aberdeen website.

I,m pissed off with rival supporters, radio pundits, tv pundits and newspapers stating this obvious fact.

Anybody and their granny who watch thistle, know we lack goals, creativity in the final third. The problem has been glaring

for quite some time and unfortunately has not been addressed during the window not unless the boy from crawley turns

out to be a revelation.

We have taken a gamble and persevered with a strike force that's not firing. I know we have a small budget but if the board mean business

they could have pushed the boat out and helped the manager achieve one of his targets .

For what it's worth here is my view. Ignoring the goal in time added on which involved the linesman ignoring a blatant offside, we matched Aberdeen in every department except one. They had 2 great chances, both free headers from corners and they took one of them. Our two great chances involved Elliot miskicking and Azeez missing the target when both had only their keeper to beat.

Apart from that we played well, better than we did at Inverness. It was great to see Muzzy back,Osman ,Barton and in the first half, Edwards,dominated the midfield, Amoo got to to the byeline to put in decent balls and Doolan and Lawless worked hard. Big Liam was rock solid as was Cerny as always.

But.... we were beaten, we didn't score and we gifted them two free headers. I think we've been here before.

Finally a big shout to the Jags choir who made a great noise throughout. Keep the faith.

Thistle played some good stuff today , just as well their finishing was sh**e. This was a quote from an Aberdeen website.

I,m pissed off with rival supporters, radio pundits, tv pundits and newspapers stating this obvious fact.

Anybody and their granny who watch thistle, know we lack goals, creativity in the final third. The problem has been glaring

for quite some time and unfortunately has not been addressed during the window not unless the boy from crawley turns

out to be a revelation.

We have taken a gamble and persevered with a strike force that's not firing. I know we have a small budget but if the board mean business

they could have pushed the boat out and helped the manager achieve one of his targets .

i saw someone state that the trip to La Manga in January cost the club £40,000. I've no idea if that figure is true or not though I presume it would definitely have cost something. I presume Archie would have had a say in organising that. So far imo and I guess it's only so far as time will tell but it doesn't look as though it has been a massive success as I expected the players to have coming out the traps faster than they appear to have done in 2017 and I can't help wonder with hindsight could some of the cost of la manga have been used to purchase a striker

i saw someone state that the trip to La Manga in January cost the club £40,000. I've no idea if that figure is true or not though I presume it would definitely have cost something. I presume Archie would have had a say in organising that. So far imo and I guess it's only so far as time will tell but it doesn't look as though it has been a massive success as I expected the players to have coming out the traps faster than they appear to have done in 2017 and I can't help wonder with hindsight could some of the cost of la manga have been used to purchase a striker

Don't know how true that is, but if it is, it seems a total waste of money and money that could have been used to get a striker in, permanently or on loan.

You are right. Kris has never been a prolific scorer and tends to score in bursts then have pretty long barren spells. We need him to hit one of these bursts now or we could be in trouble. Teams like Motherwell (McDonald and Moult) and Ross Co (Boyce and Schalk) have the power up front that we don't have and because of that they won't be involved at the bottom. Hamilton, Killie, Dundee, ICT and ourselves don't have established strike partnerships and as a result it's likely they will be the ones that will fight it out at the bottom. The thing that might get us through is our goalie and defence.

95 goals to date for Thistle and some still find a way to criticise Kris Doolan, mind-boggling. He has had to lead the line and score goals to win us games for the last 4 seasons, with only Lyle Taylor as the other competent striker during that period. Give Kris Doolan 2 goal scoring opportunities and he will score at least 1. Ade Azeez is unable to score goals and another striker, of any form, should have been targetted in the transfer window.

20 or so people going to La Manga for 1 week costs money - I blame Donald Trump!

Like the question Ian Mac raised about Barton's transfer fee there are lots of options. The club knew at the start of the season there would be a winter break so they budgeted for this, the board put their hands in their pockets, the Weirs paid for it or Archie said I would rather spend it that way than on a player.

There is going to be a Meet the Board event in March which Archie will be attending so come along and ask the question to the people who know the answer.

This has been a persistent problem that Archibald (for all his great qualities) has been hopeless at addressing. Ian McCall brought in Doolan to help Roberts back in the day. Jackie McNamara brought in Craig to help Doolan out, and if it were not for his goals we would probably not have been promoted. Yet in the four years Archibald has been here, he has yet to find even one striker that can score but half the number of goals Doolan does in a typical season. Baird, Eccleston, Mukendi, Pogba and German have all failed spectacularly. Strikers are the most coveted players in the world, and a team like ours can't merely go out and "pick up" a proven goalscorer. But at this point I'd be delighted with a striker that can score just 6 or 7 goals a season. Yet our signing policy for strikers seem to be guys in their mid-twenties who have played for at least four clubs and have played on loan for double that, and have never actually hacked it at any of them.

Extended highlights on BBC Alba at 10pm tonight.

Haud me back!

Played some good football today but as others have said kinda toothless the further forward we get.

Yellow & Redneck*, I share your opinion in general re not making chances. I think tho' away to Aberdeen most other teams won't make any more chances than we did today. Most other teams will tho' turn some of those chances into goals.

I thought Aberdeen's 2nd might have been offside and even if it wasn't we were pressing forward looking for an equaliser. Losing the first to a set piece is I'm told quite a rarity for us these days. Factor in Booth's uncharacteristic error the other night and I don't think we need to be too critical of the defence. I guess we all know the area of the field we're struggling in and where the real problem lies.

* eta Was referring to your earlier post. I agree with a much of what you say in subsequent post. Btw the only time we've played two up is with three at the back earlier in the season. I think a problem playing two up like Azeez and Doolan is the pairing need to have an understanding. That takes time to develop and it's too late in the season to start now. The only pairing I reckon you could risk just now is Doolan and Erskine simply because they've got that wee bit telepathy. Whether it's an ideal strike force is another thing altogether.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

The delivery from the corner for their first goal was fantastic.

We must have had more corners than Aberdeen but failed to deliver a significant threat from any of them.

However, as a footballing performance I was impressed and encouraged by Thistle today. A huge step up in quality from Wednesday"s second half. Barton much more on the ball and Muzzy adds so much to the team.

As well as the Elliot and Azeez chances which have been highlighted, the one that had me off my seat in the second half was the far post header from Edwards that went narrowly wide. How good an opportunity was that?

• Like 2

95 goals to date for Thistle and some still find a way to criticise Kris Doolan, mind-boggling. He has had to lead the line and score goals to win us games for the last 4 seasons, with only Lyle Taylor as the other competent striker during that period. Give Kris Doolan 2 goal scoring opportunities and he will score at least 1. Ade Azeez is unable to score goals and another striker, of any form, should have been targetted in the transfer window.

Show me the criticism in that post?? Kris does his scoring in bursts then goes quiet for periods. Those are facts, not criticisms. As for your give Kris two chances and he will at least score 1....what planet are you on? Is there a striker on the planet with that strike rate? If Kris was converting between 50% - 75% of his chances he wouldn't be playing at Firhill

Edited by Lindau

Funnily enough when big Gabi Piccolo got ejected from Firhill he never played at any sort professional level again, I said at the time, that even when he was with us he never played at a professional level, poor boy just never was a footballer. Its amusing to read all the comments from those who elevated him to almost player of the season, comment on Azeez and even Elliot. Mark these words kids, Azeez, although a better player than Piccolo is at best amateur level, but in reality a bad amateur. Big Elliot, is way out his depth, to be sure he cant even kick a ball properly, at best the lower divisions, but in reality a fair Junior. Get thing in perspective guys, comments on where Azeez should be playing are just embarrassing, so please cut them out. My prediction is that when he finally goes, he will take up the same sort of profession as Piccolo, away from football altogether.

• Like 1

Azeez has had his chance and has proven that he is as capable at this level as Pogba was.

Let's hope that Banton is up to the task.

Even tho' Banton is being signed as a striker a wide player who favours cutting in will be expected to score a few goals. Even Amoo, who doesn't cut in as such, has contributed goals. If the lad is indeed up to the task his inclusion in the side could also help Lawless get a goal or two as he'll be better positioned.

• Like 1

Azeez has had his chance and has proven that he is as capable at this level as Pogba was.

Let's hope that Banton is up to the task.

We certainly need someone to step up to the plate, though a bit concerning that Archie has said Banton needs to work on his fitness as he hasn't played for a couple of months. I know we were desperate to get someone in, but guys signing in January should be fit and ready to hit the ground running. Let's hope he isn't another George Moncur, fitness wise!

Edited by Lindau