Banton

West Ender

Saw him play three quarters of the U20 match last week. Probably not quite match fit yet. Well I hope that's the case as he wasn't a stand out by any means. Had a few good touches, alternated between a wide left position to a striker's role a couple of times. Looked more comfortable in the former.

Was that not the early verdict on Barton? Did you just cut and paste?

No cut and paste. Not sure I understand that, David? I did see Barton playing for the U20s if that's what you're meaning.

I was just joking, but your Banton assessment was close to what I recall as the underwhelming assessment of Barton when he turned out for the Development Squad. Hopefully Banton makes a similarly big impact for the first team as Barton has.

I was just joking, but your Banton assessment was close to what I recall as the underwhelming assessment of Barton when he turned out for the Development Squad. Hopefully Banton makes a similarly big impact for the first team as Barton has.

:D

As a rule of thumb first team/overage players rarely impress in the U20s. They're usually either fighting their way back after injury or gaining match fitness and have a different agenda to that of the youngsters. The only debuting player I can mind that made an instantly favourable impression was Mustapha. So, yes, there's every hope Banton will turn out to be a top player. But if that be the case and going on last week's outing, I just don't think he's quite ready yet to make much of an impact.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether he's injured or not. He has no right to walk straight in to the first team. He's come in at a time when the team is doing very well, makes sense to me that he can't get straight in. The injury to Lawless may open up a space for him.

I find it pretty encouraging that competition for places is such that a new signing doesn't have a look in. You could argue that we have wasted money signing him, but so what? How many times did Lambie sign players who ended up being complete duds? It happens at every club. Every signing is a risk and you win some and you lose some. You can't discover players like Dumbuya and Barton without signing them and gambling on them in the first place. It doesn't always work out. Archie's success rate has proven to be pretty good and is one of the main reasons why we keep progressing as a team.

• Like 2

Our injury situation is pretty desperate. You take out the fullbacks and Doolan and Erskine, we have six places in our team fire central midfielders and defenders,and probably when fit about nine or ten vying for these places. Should be pretty well covered, but now have Welsh,Bannigan, Fraser,Osman,Lawless and Devine all injured. Can we get David Wilson back? Should we?

Are Osman, Lawless and Devine all likely to be missing this weekend?

Archie, being Archie, rarely gives much away re who's fit and who isn't. Unless any of them are walking about on crutches we're unlikely to find out till the team is announced. Hopefully we can field a strong enough side and the two week break does the rest.

Yes.

Thanks Jagfox.

He had been on the bench for a few games but then disappeared. I assumed he must be injured when Lamont was a substitute on Saturday.

With Bannigan, Fraser and Welsh all possibly missing for the rest of the season, it is vital that we can get Osman back as soon as possible. Hopefully that will be Saturday.

Lawless looked as if he was in a bad way when he went off. Can't see him making Rugby Park.

I dont understand why Fraser is still out?

He was on Radio Scotland c.Dec saying it hopefully wouldn't be long before he was back.

And then on Saturday he was in Jaconellis....

Is the macaroni cheese & chips delaying his recovery? We need to know!