Quarter Final Partick Thistle Vs Aberdeen Sunday 5 March

jagfox

Shots: Aberdeen 18, Thistle 3

Shots on target: Aberdeen 7, Thistle 0.

Just another of those so-disappointing big cup games when we've gone out with a whimper.

Let's get into Europe via our league form!

ETA: Yesterday's entire match is on Youtube, if anyone can bear to sit through it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Good day out only the 90 +5 minutes of turgid push putting a dampener on things. Great to see a large Jags support up at Pittodrie. Well played to the club for paying for travel, 13 buses there. Was the number of away fans announced on the radio or television?

• Like 1

Good day out only the 90 +5 minutes of turgid push putting a dampener on things. Great to see a large Jags support up at Pittodrie. Well played to the club for paying for travel, 13 buses there. Was the number of away fans announced on the radio or television?

904 jags fans made the journey.

<p>Reflecting this morning on the game yesterday, I can live with the disappointment of a poor display in a key game. I've been there often enough as a Jags fan.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>But, yesterday I left home at 9:00 and arrived home at 22:45!  What fcukwhit at the SFA thought it would be a good idea to play our game on a Sunday rather than have Hibs v Ayr</p>

<p>who are geographically closer and have better transport links on a Sunday.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>And why are yellow cards given to our players for a raised foot, when there is only clear intention to play the ball, and regardless of the fact that the opposing player has lowered his head,</p>

<p>yet at Ibrox the previous day two Rangers players stay on the park for two blatant red card offences.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>And they wonder why football in Scotland is dying on it's arse!</p>

<div style="left: -1000px; top: 8px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; position: absolute;"> </div>

A 1-0 defeat wouldn't be out of the realms of the expected up there, but the manner in which it happened was the disappointment really. Shame. Could spend a while analysing individual performances but I'll leave that to Archie. I guess the only positive is that we again showed very little generosity at the back.

Let's hope the injuries aren't too bad and we come out like the proverbial wounded animal against Caley.

• Like 2

Have come to conclusion that I don't really like going to Pittodrie!

Patted down before entry( you telling me they do this to every old firm fan??-aye right)

Huge queue at refreshment stall - only 2 serving, not even separate person to work the till -did they not realise that after 3+ hour trip 900 or so away fans might just need something to eat/drink?

view of game was quite restricted- couldn't see all of pitch.

and why do the aberdeen fans( I assumed they were fans- quite a lot of them were wearing no colours) have so much bile in them? seem to think all weegies are like old firm fans.

As for the Dons players, Mcinnes has coached them well - moan and fall down at slightest conatct, lie supine on ground until foul awarded and/or Thistle player booked then get up and start running about.Yet again no consistency in the refereeing decisions.

Don't get me wrong- it's not sour grapes - we didn't really deserve anything from the game, still, onwards and upwards - bring on ICT.

Sorry for rant, feel better now, Cheers.

Edited by JAGSMAN1968

Have come to conclusion that I don't really like going to Pittodrie!

Patted down before entry( you telling me they do this to every old firm fan??-aye right)

Huge queue at refreshment stall - only 2 serving, not even separate person to work the till -did they not realise that after 3+ hour trip 900 or so away fans might just need something to eat/drink?

view of game was quite restricted- couldn't see all of pitch.

I had my rant after game there the other week. In complete agreement. Frisking a friend of 70 years of age and charging him £19 for the privilege. I also don't like the siege like apartheid outside of the ground or the Halliburton advertising inside. But for all its faults we'll probably miss the place when they move to Legoland. They're attitude to and treatment of away fans won't change and you'll just be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

I had my rant after game there the other week. In complete agreement. Frisking a friend of 70 years of age and charging him £19 for the privilege. I also don't like the siege like apartheid outside of the ground or the Halliburton advertising inside. But for all its faults we'll probably miss the place when they move to Legoland. They're attitude to and treatment of away fans won't change and you'll just be stuck out in the middle of nowhere.

You don't like the Halliburton advertising ??? What's that all about ?

Yes, we got well outplayed and were second to nearly everything. When all's said and done, we lost 1-0 at Aberdeen. Worse things have happened to us, but we always bounce back.

Pluses for me: Tam Cerny, the fans (the flattering score line?)

Still got a great season end to look forward to. Every game's a step towards finishing 6th or even 5th. So much still to play for, and cement PTFC's standing as a fully established member of the big league elite. Who'd have thought it?

The refereeing decision that stood out most to me was when Edwards(?) tries to get away at the edge of the box only to be pulled back 3 times, free kick given but no booking. Literally a minute later Devine pulls the guy back at the touch line, instant yellow followed by the red. Shameful inconsistency.

• Like 1

I cant understand why we didn't turn up. We have been playing so well recently.

Aberdeen are no Real Madrid. Why do we always appear terrified of them?

Barton was losing tackles to Pawlett for Gods sake. Doolan was utterly useless but hes been playing so well recently. Come on Kris, you can do much better than that.

I think we missed Barton in the Libero role and suggest that he returns there right away as this allows our midfield to get on the front foot. He looked like he had 8 pints on Saturday night so I hope this was a 1 off display of extreme laziness. I was going to use the word laconic but that is too good for Barton's performance.

Felt sorry for Erskine who I thought tried a few things without any support.

The great support deserved better.

I cant understand why we didn't turn up. We have been playing so well recently.

Aberdeen are no Real Madrid. Why do we always appear terrified of them?

Barton was losing tackles to Pawlett for Gods sake. Doolan was utterly useless but hes been playing so well recently. Come on Kris, you can do much better than that.

I think we missed Barton in the Libero role and suggest that he returns there right away as this allows our midfield to get on the front foot. He looked like he had 8 pints on Saturday night so I hope this was a 1 off display of extreme laziness. I was going to use the word laconic but that is too good for Barton's performance.

Felt sorry for Erskine who I thought tried a few things without any support.

The great support deserved better.

Erskine and Doolan had zero service.

Doolan spent his game chasing aimless high balls punted in his direction.

While disappointed to be out of the cup and thought we could have created more with the team we put out in the cold light of day I think we should be happy where we are as a club.

When we won promotion nearly 4 years ago I would have been delighted if we were offered 4 seasons in the top flight with continued improvement. It shows how far we've come that we're disappointed to go out in the quarter finals of the cup 1-0 away to a team finishing runner up in the league for the past few seasons.

Hopefully we continue to improve and we're not looking back on 2017 as a peak but instead it is a step forward.

• Like 2

I agree with Motherwell Jag in that whilst yesterday was so disappointing, we just need to kick on now and cement 6th place which is within our reach.

On the plus side, I never knew that the garden is suitable for a top level football match, I can only assume this based on the surface yesterday.

• Like 1

The refereeing decision that stood out most to me was when Edwards(?) tries to get away at the edge of the box only to be pulled back 3 times, free kick given but no booking. Literally a minute later Devine pulls the guy back at the touch line, instant yellow followed by the red. Shameful inconsistency.

Had the Aberdeen player been repeatdly fouling and been previously warned by the ref, too?

While it is very disappointing to go out so tamely, I don't think that enough credit has been given to Aberdeen for setting up in a way to stifle our attacking threat. I have endure re-watching the game without the tension of live coverage

All of our width tends to come from our wing backs and by playing Hayes, McGinn, Pawlett, Rooney and Stockley, the wingbacks were not allowed to get forward and the 3 central defenders were all pinned back so that they couldn't support the midfield either. As result we had no width and were outnumbered in midfield where their 3 at the back could step up with only Doolan to watch out for. How many times did we see Abdul as our wide man ? A good player, but not his best place.

Aberdeen also pressed high up the pitch. so we never had any time to settle in possession. We were second to every loose ball and lost most of the 50-50s which is not like us in recent games.

What I didn't appreciate at the time is how well we dealt with their attacking 5. Cerny did make a couple of good saves, but for a home side they didn't create very much either. The goal came from Booth losing his foot in the surface which gave Shinnie that yard to turn and get in his shot. He took it well, but normally our defense would have had an extra man available as cover.

As for Abdul's header, It was not a sitter, but you would have expected him to hit the target more often than not. It would be interesting to know what would have happened if he had left it for Keown behind him who looked to be even better placed.

• Like 2

I also think we need to take into account that Aberdeen had an additional day of recovery and in their game v Accies they were able to rest Stockley and Hayes with Stockley in particular being a real threat on Sunday.

We went with same team as Wednesday and I think it showed as the game went on.