Ryan Stevenson - Goalie - Retired!

AlgarveJag

Here's one I prepared earlier...

Jaggy quotes # 111

It’s been quite well quoted that Davie McParland featured in every possible position for Thistle although I would be unable to verify that from my records (I have no starts at No.2 or No.3). His unusual feat was famously bolstered by a 10 minute stint as goalie in a match at Muirton Park on 21st March 1964. A goalmouth clash between Geordie Niven and their left half, Bill McCarry, ended badly for the goalie and he was stretchered off. With the score at two goals each and ten minutes to play Thistle were down to ten men (no subs in those days) and no recognised ‘keeper. Davie McParland stepped up to the mark. 5 minutes later Neil Duffy snatched an unlikely winner for the ten men. Davie’s comment on his short term as a ‘keeper? “I kept a clean sheet. I must be the only ‘keeper Thistle have had, who didn’t lose a goal.”

Here's one I prepared earlier...

Jaggy quotes # 111

It’s been quite well quoted that Davie McParland featured in every possible position for Thistle although I would be unable to verify that from my records (I have no starts at No.2 or No.3). His unusual feat was famously bolstered by a 10 minute stint as goalie in a match at Muirton Park on 21st March 1964. A goalmouth clash between Geordie Niven and their left half, Bill McCarry, ended badly for the goalie and he was stretchered off. With the score at two goals each and ten minutes to play Thistle were down to ten men (no subs in those days) and no recognised ‘keeper. Davie McParland stepped up to the mark. 5 minutes later Neil Duffy snatched an unlikely winner for the ten men. Davie’s comment on his short term as a ‘keeper? “I kept a clean sheet. I must be the only ‘keeper Thistle have had, who didn’t lose a goal.”

Wasn't at the game but Geordie would be just glad he was able to walk again. When Buck McCarry went in for a tackle you stayed down. Buck made the likes of Martin Hardie look like a big sissy.

• Like 1

I have a vague memory of game at Firhill late 80's with outfield player in goal,really cant remember if it was injury or card driven? I dont mean starting game just it developed that way and I'm

sure we lost despite best efforts? Could have been a dream though.

Brian Scrimegour

Probably the best game he ever had as a Jag

• Like 2

Reading that Ryan has just announced his retirement. His last appearance was thus as a goalie.

Can't mind seeing a player deteriorate quite so fast (he's still only 32). I thought that tho' Stevenson was mainly a disappointment with us that he was showing his best form leading up to his injury at NDP.

Hope things work out well for the guy.

Any reason given for his retirement?

Unusual to announce it during the season - maybe there's an injury issue.

Anyway, even although at times he was a square peg in a round hole at times while with us (e.g. he was never a lone striker), he still made a valuable contribution to maintaining our status in 14-15. Oh, and a couple of excellent goal celebrations v Hamilton in the Scottish Cup that season too.

And his one and only goal last season, however flukey, was an important momentum builder for a a run that took us away frrom the bottom of the table.

Best of luck Ryan.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Any reason given for his retirement? Unusual to announce it during the season - maybe there's an injury issue. Anyway, even although at times he was a square peg in a round hole at times while with us (e.g. he was never a lone striker), he still made a valuable contribution to maintaining our status in 14-15. Oh, and a couple of excellent goal celebrations v Hamilton in the Scottish Cup that season too. And his one and only goal last season, however flukey, was an important momentum builder for a a run that took us away frrom the bottom of the table. Best of luck Ryan.

His best performance was in the 4-0 classic win away to Inverness (I think I am right in saying that this was the last time either side has scored in that particular fixture).

• 4 weeks later...