Life After Liam..

robphil

If master Lindsay secures a big money move in the summer, should we be looking to bring back jack Henry to firhill?

His career appears to have stalled down south but he looked a brilliant prospect in his handful of games for thistle and, given what Archie and scott have achieved with LL, could they also turn JH into a future international? Personally, I hope Liam stays until next January at least but I think he is destined for england

Best to replace Liam with a left sided player if possible. Plus Jack Hendry is a different type of centreback to Lindsay but I would like to see him back with us as. Being the type of player he is Liam has possibly learned more from Archie than Shaggy. On that basis Hendry would possibly learn more from Shaggy.

Btw as the proud owner of Jack's underused Jags top I have added interest on seeing him succeed. :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

• Members

I'm sure Reading are really only loaning Keown out to gain experience. If they decide to loan him again next season though, I'd hope we are first in the queue to take any loan up. He's rarely put a foot wrong since he's been brought into the team and indeed looks like he's been playing there for a long time.

• Like 1

I think that much will depend if Reading get promoted or not. If they do go up I doubt Keown will be considered for their squad. I'd like to think that they would be prepared to loan him out again at least until Christmas to get more game time and experience

We will definitely be able to afford better quality. I'm having to go on last years figures (as the EPL stuff swamps google no matter how much you emphasise "Scottish") but 10th last year got just over 1 million (1,055,000) and sixth got 1,318,750, so just over a quarter of a million more. 5th got 1,424,250. Probably different this year but proportions will be roughly the same and it means if we get 6th we are guaranteed well over a million and can start planning for next season with 5 games left.

Also, someone mentioned having to rebuild the defence. I don't think it's as drastic as that. We're likely to lose Lindsay but should receive more than enough to pay for his replacement and we may lose Keown too. However this is a different situation. Last year I'm sure the manager thought Seabourne was staying and only thought we needed to replace Frans. This left us with Barton, Lindsay and Devine who hadn't played together. We at least have the possibility of playing Barton and Devine for their second year together but more important, we already know we need one, possibly two new defenders and can start looking (in fact we've very likely been looking for a while) now. We'll probably manage to get all the defenders we need in for the start of the preseason.

Personally, I think the one area we need to improve is in a goal scoring forward. I think this is essential if we are to maintain our top six and have ambitions of a real cup run (semis at least). We have plenty of good midfielders, especially with Bannigan and Welsh to come back next season but we can't depend on Doolan forever - plus we know he has bursts of goal scoring followed or preceded by spells of not scoring. Since Amoo seems likely to leave maybe his wage plus a bit extra from our higher position should maybe be able to get us a goal-scoring winger or someone who can play centre forward/wing. I admit I'm a bit vague about this as we obviously don't have the money to get a top forward but we've found gems like Barton, Keown and in previous seasons Higgy so surely we can find someone who has an eye for goal.

I reckon with the likes of Nesbit, Penrice and McCarthy coming into contention too, with the right additions we could have one hell of a squad next season and should be looking to establish ourselves in the top six and not let it be just a one-off. Only worry is how long we can hold on to Archie.

• Like 2

The progression of Hendry v Lindsay shows you are better to play 1st team games in Scotland (like many Accies players) then move to English club.

Totally agree. First team football is better than being a sub or playing in the stiffs.

Liam has definitely improved with Archie in charge. His type of player

excellent post mr bunny

i think if lindsay does go i can see archie dropping barton into the back line especially with bannigan hopefully coming back into the team

i agree we need someone up front who can give us more goal threat

have a feeling that azeez will start delivering the goods next year

the young lad mccarthy looks a real prospect so many young player knocking on the door i canna wait for next season

onwards and definitely upwards lads and lassies the future is bright the future is red and yella :fan:

The good thing about us finishing 6th is we will be able to begin building for next season now. With the added funds from finishing higher we might be able to attract and afford better quality than say if we finished 10th.

Archie just said the same on Scotland Today :D

i think if lindsay does go i can see archie dropping barton into the back line especially with bannigan hopefully coming back into the team

i agree we need someone up front who can give us more goal threat

have a feeling that azeez will start delivering the goods next year

the young lad mccarthy looks a real prospect so many young player knocking on the door i canna wait for next season

onwards and definitely upwards lads and lassies the future is bright the future is red and yella :fan:

Taking a snap shot just now I can't see Barton not being in a starting XI next season. I've no idea what our default formation will be but if it's not three at the back I doubt Adam would be a first choice centreback. If tho' we play a more fluid formation I can envisage Barton being a kinda linchpin drifting within a game between a holding midfield role and the middle of a back three.

Looks to me we're moving full circle and returning to our promotion season when we never had a remote clue as to what was our optimum starting XI. Good problem to have and just shows how far we've come that instead of mere cover we we have genuine competition throughout.

Id imagine that "when" we get confirmed as top six the players will either have a wage increase or a significant squad bonus so need to take that into account v wages for next year too

I doubt we'd set the bonus so high we delete all the extra money we'd make. Say we get 6th and the c. 1.32mill. 120 grand split between say 22 players would give c. £5,500 each (a wild guess on my part but a decent bonus for a club our size I think) and there'd be a handful of players who only played a few games who would get a good deal less. That would leave us easily 200 grand plus over what we made last year. Of course we're not going to sign up anyone for a 100K or 200K - it would go on wages/signing on fees for 2 maybe 3 new players.

Another thing is by getting sixth position, we can sell the club better to prospective new signings which will help get better players. Hopefully us being a top six club will encourage more season ticket sales (we don't have the MSM printing ST application forms in articles about us) and that would help too - even a hundred or so would help sign a player.

is there not a payment from UEFA to add in -- last year I thought it was around average 80K per club and was it sweetened this year? Is that also distributed on the sliding scale per league position ?

The solidarity payments to non-participating clubs via their national associations and/or leagues will now represent 5% of the overall gross revenues of the two competitions.

• A forecast total of 117.5m will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues for their clubs (this amount may be increased in the event of higher gross commercial revenue).
  • Of this amount, 80% will be distributed to national associations and/or leagues with at least one club participating in the UEFA Champions League group stage and 20% to national associations and/or leagues with no participating clubs in the UEFA Champions League group stage.

as introduced for season 2015/16, the distribution to national associations and/or leagues will no longer be exclusively based on their market value. Instead, 60% of the available amounts will be distributed in equal shares among all national associations and/or leagues and 40% will be distributed according to the value of the TV market of each respective association in the UEFA Champions League.

Only clubs not participating in the group stage of either the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in 2016/17 will be entitled to a share of these solidarity payments.

Edited by banderas