New Players...

Vinnyjag

With Top 6 sorted I am sure that Archie and Shaggy will already be planning on New recruits for next season. What are folks thoughts on, assuming we only lose Keown back to Reading and re-sign Welsh and Elliott,where do we need to strengthen?

My thoughts would be 1 striker, 1 wide player and 1 CB (hopefully Keown)

Think it depends on a few things, how much of a part are lads like McCarthy and Nisbet going to play next season.

I'd keep Fraser on a contract similar to what Welsh got if his attitude is right. I'd be inclined to sign a striker and 2 centre halves (Lindsay dependant), by all accounts, he won't be here next season. No real point in us signing wingers, it doesn't suit us. Moreso, creative midfielders like Erskine, Lawless and Edwards I think.

I know there's been talk of Hippolyte and Murray. Saw Myles Hippolyte play as an overager for Falkirk U20s the other week and was impressed. Murray I don't know much about even tho' I've seen him play a few times. Both are in Archie's usual target age, unlike Andreu for instance. Even if there's substance to our links with those two Archie could easily have others from south of the border lined up ahead of them.

A right sided wide player that can play down the left (Higgy type) should be a top priority. Nisbet's now turned 20 and I'd expect he'll be loaned out again so I agree another striker would be a likely addition. Have to wait and see the situation re Lindsay and Keown but it kinda goes without saying that replacing them with quality would be an absolute necessity. If we continue with a back three McMullen might just be good enough as cover.

Think it depends on a few things, how much of a part are lads like McCarthy and Nisbet going to play next season.

I'd keep Fraser on a contract similar to what Welsh got if his attitude is right. I'd be inclined to sign a striker and 2 centre halves (Lindsay dependant), by all accounts, he won't be here next season. No real point in us signing wingers, it doesn't suit us. Moreso, creative midfielders like Erskine, Lawless and Edwards I think.

I'm maybe being a bit pedantic but Lawless and Erskine are basically wingers. Throughout football history there's been wingers who stick to the wing mainly and some that are more mobile/versatile, popping up inside or switching wings and so on. L&E fit the latter pattern I think the problem with Amoo though he can sometimes be good, he is very much a "stick to the wing" winger: yes I've seen him move inside but he doesn't do it very often or effectively. Pity, as I think he has potential to be very good but he really doesn't suit our team style(s).

What players should we sign? We need more goals if we're going to get top 6 again next season - it will be harder again with Hibs up. It needn't be a centre forward - Nesbit may be a realistic option giving us three - but a goal-scoring midfielder/winger would probably be ideal as he could play as well as Doolan. If Bannigan and Welsh are fit and back to their best next season we don't need any more midfielders so the other area is centre back with Lindsay and Keown possibly leaving. Pity we couldn't keep one or both but at least, being in the top 6 means we can get someone (or some two) in early with time to bed in to the team preseason.

The players that I think will leave at the end of the season are:

Ridgers

Keown

Lindsay

Wilson

Fraser

Amoo

I would love to see Lindsay and/or Keown stay with us for another year but I just don't think either will happen. That means getting two quality centre halves in is a priority but may be easier said than done. Archie will clearly know better than me but I don't feel McMullin is ready to step up yet. From what I have seen, he is a very good defender but I think he needs to 'fill out' a bit first.

I agree with LIB that a right sided player that can also play on the left would be ideal. Erskine and Lawless can both play in that position but they both prefer playing through the middle and their performances back that up. A Higgy type player would be great - what about Higgy?

The emergence of Andy McCarthy will likely see the unfortunate departure of Gary Fraser. This would be a real shame but, with Welsh and Bannigan both hoping to be fit for the new season, we already have an abundance of central midfielders at the club and I can't see Gary getting a new deal.

The four youngsters that seem closest to a regular first team starting place are Kevin Nisbet, Mick McMullin, McCarthy and James Penrice. Of those four I feel Penrice is the one that is knocking loudest on the door. With this in mind, I have a funny feeling that Archie might let Callum Booth go. I may be way off the mark but Penrice is coming back from East Fife with rave reviews and it would free up a wage for elsewhere in the squad.

The quality of young player we have coming through is very pleasing but we can't chuck all these boys in at one time. Equally, we can't afford to not give them their chance if they are ready. I am really keen to see how we manage this situation over the next two or three years.

With regards to who we bring in, it would be good to look to the lower divisions in Scotland. Oliver and Hippolyte are two players that I think could make the step up although, the much sought after Blair Alston doesn't seem to have set the world alight at St Johnstone this season. As usual, I will look forward to seeing who we sign, it would be nice to get some business done early for a change though!

Edited by Jag

I would like to see us keep the team together as much as possible. We should allow Lindsay to progress but do everything to sign Keown.

Let Ridgers, Amoo, Wilson leave.

Resign Welsh and Elliot, and take a chance on Fraser but loan him out for a year to the Championship.

Sign Ali Crawford.

Replace the remaining fringe players with youths.

2 major outs 2 major ins.

The players that I think will leave at the end of the season are:

Ridgers

Keown

Lindsay

Wilson

Fraser

Amoo

I would love to see Lindsay and/or Keown stay with us for another year but I just don't think either will happen. That means getting two quality centre halves in is a priority but may be easier said than done. Archie will clearly know better than me but I don't feel McMullin is ready to step up yet. From what I have seen, he is a very good defender but I think he needs to 'fill out' a bit first.

I agree with LIB that a right sided player that can also play on the left would be ideal. Erskine and Lawless can both play in that position but they both prefer playing through the middle and their performances back that up. A Higgy type player would be great - what about Higgy?

The emergence of Andy McCarthy will likely see the unfortunate departure of Gary Fraser. This would be a real shame but, with Welsh and Bannigan both hoping to be fit for the new season, we already have an abundance of central midfielders at the club and I can't see Gary getting a new deal.

The four youngsters that seem closest to a regular first team starting place are Kevin Nisbet, Mick McMullin, McCarthy and James Penrice. Of those four I feel Penrice is the one that is knocking loudest on the door. With this in mind, I have a funny feeling that Archie might let Callum Booth go. I may be way off the mark but Penrice is coming back from East Fife with rave reviews and it would free up a wage for elsewhere in the squad.

The quality of young player we have coming through is very pleasing but we can't chuck all these boys in at one time. Equally, we can't afford to not give them their chance if they are ready. I am really keen to see how we manage this situation over the next two or three years.

With regards to who we bring in, it would be good to look to the lower divisions in Scotland. Oliver and Hippolyte are two players that I think could make the step up although, the much sought after Blair Alston doesn't seem to have set the world alight at St Johnstone this season. As usual, I will look forward to seeing who we sign, it would be nice to get some business done early for a change though!

i do not think Archie will or should let Booth go. For one thing booth has at least one year possibly 2 left on his contract so we would need to pay him compensation. I think penrice will be loaned to a championship team next soon. Even if penrice wasn't loaned out Booth would be more than able to give him ample competition for the position. Also injuries if Booth was injured Penrice is more than capable of standing in and vice versa

i do not think Archie will or should let Booth go. For one thing booth has at least one year possibly 2 left on his contract so we would need to pay him compensation. I think penrice will be loaned to a championship team next soon. Even if penrice wasn't loaned out Booth would be more than able to give him ample competition for the position. Also injuries if Booth was injured Penrice is more than capable of standing in and vice versa

I'm sure Booth still has a year left so it would need to be on his terms. Plenty of players have had their contracts terminated by mutual consent.

I have absolutely nothing to back up what I am saying, I just have a hunch. Personally I'd be more than happy if he stayed.

Suggesting that Booth may be released is hilariously, insane, even for this forum.

As I said in my post, I may be (and I probably am) way off the mark. However claiming that the suggestion that an out of favour player who we have cover for may leave the club is hilariously insane is a bit OTT.

As I said in my post, I may be (and I probably am) way off the mark. However claiming that the suggestion that an out of favour player who we have cover for may leave the club is hilariously insane is a bit OTT.

out of favour? Is he not injured just now. Pretty much a guaranteed starter when he's fit

I'd like to see us go after Crawford. Six months ago we would have been nowhere near him but he's fallen out of favour at Accies a bit by all accounts and may not be quite as sought after now. In my opinion he'd be perfect for rotating with Erskine and Lawless behind Doolan.

I still think it's a long shot as he's under contract at Accies for another year I believe (as is Devlin if Lindsay/Keown goes) and they are likely to be looking for a decent fee for him, but if they did go down they might decide the time was right.

out of favour? Is he not injured just now. Pretty much a guaranteed starter when he's fit

He got dropped for game at Rugby Park and has been on the bench for three out of the last four games. Came in and played at CP last Wednesday when Dumbuya was rested.

I like the good Scottish players but it seems the clubs who have them price themselves out of the market.

I think Crawford might be possible as he's been injured and maybe a bit of the shine is of him. That said Archie wil probably turn up somebody from the lower leagues in England. Let's hope it's a Barton and not a Banton