Your First Thistle Match

Gingerjag

This has probably been done before but what was your first Thistle match you attended ?

Mines was Kilmarnock at home 1994 first day of the season 2-0 win.

I always thought Charnley scored atleast one that game. I remember my old man ( a "71" veteran ) wore a blue and white striped shirt to the match! Why? I'll never know.

I'd been taken to various games here n there through the years as a wean.

I remember wanting to go to the Celtic Cup game in March '88 but I don't think my Dad felt all that happy about taking me.

But the game that really got the ball rolling and the one I look back on as my first, was Tue 5th Sept 1989 a 3-1 win at home to Raith Rovers, I handed long turned 13.

Me, my Dad and my Granda Jack stood on the North Terrace. My "first" and it would be my Granda's last Thistle game.

Which is all a bit weird. I wanted to go to a game in season 1987/88. I have the Watson Towers 1988/89 strip, but that game is from 1989/90. What happened during 1988/89 that I can't remember going to any games!

Edited by potty trained

Christmas Eve 1977. Thistle 4, Ayr United 1 with Alex O'Hara scoring a hat trick.

Will be celebrating my 40th Thistle anniversary later this year. A mere novice compared to others but still a fair chunk of time. This team is the best I've seen but I'll qualify by saying that I was too young to appreciate the teams of my early years.

No idea. Sometime around 66-68 and possibly Hibs at Firhill. First time I remember was at Ibrox around 68 or 69 in the Glasgow Cup and it finished 2-2 I think. I was supposed to like Rangers I assume, but I preferred the ream in Red & Yellow hoops and after that the old man started taking me to Firhill

1958 aged about 18 months so can't remember against who. We lived in Bardowie St just off Saracen Street up to the age of 5 and remember walking to the games with my dad and being lifted over the turnstiles. I remember as a youngster also sitting on the wall behind the goal now the North Stand. 1st game on my own... cup game vs St Johnstone which we lost 1-8!

First game I can mind is George Niven's debut against Dundee in '62. That's because it was the season the Dees won the league and there was much talk leading up to the game. Typical Jags turned over Dundee 3-0. Great debut for Niven with Duffy scoring twice I'd been to Firhill quite a few times previously so I imagine first game would be in 1961 but no idea who it was against..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As neither my dad or uncles bothered much about football, I got my idea of who to support from my best mate at the time, when I must have been about 7 ... thought I was a couple of years older but checking old results the only game that fits my admittedly vague recollection means I must have been younger. My mates grandpa took us both to Firhill. One memory (apart from vague recollection of the ground's appearance) was being miserable because we were down at half time but happy when we came back second half to win against Motherwell (pretty sure it was them but a long time ago in the 60s.

Edited by Mr Bunny

1987 but not sure who against- maybe airdrieonians. Saw a few games that season with my uncle

Imagine an 8 year old me believing that our Colonel Gee kit was the norm!!

My first ever top was the Watson towers stripes.

Btw my family were and are still on the green side of Glasgow. I'm grateful to my uncle for introducing me to thistle and away from a life of bigotry and hatred.

I now have 3 kids who genuinely believe there is only one team in Glasgow!!!!

A miserable 3-0 defeat at Broomfield about 1958 and the second game was, I think, the same season at Firhill against Airdrie again AND another 3-0 reverse - think it was Grand National day. This latter match George Smith's dad took me - I lived in West Lothian and George was my hero.

Things have been better since though I've seen some awful hammerings and the guys I sit near in the JH stand accuse me of being negative. I always say "it's Thistle we support!!!"

First game was at Starks Park in September 1995. I was in the home end but in my defence I was 4 and we lived in Kirkcaldy...

Rovers won 3-1.

First game as a Thistle fan was a 2-0 defeat at St Johnstone in November 2006. I had missed the opportunity in the 2002-03 season to watch a 1-0 victory at Pittodrie because I was at a peer's birthday party.

First victory I saw for Thistle was up at Deveronvale.

First game at Firhill was a 0-0 draw with Queen of the South under the temporary stewardship of Jimmy Bone and Terry Butcher.

It's amazing I stuck with it, to be honest.

It was at the end of the 70-71 Season, Thistle 3 Stranraer 0. I can remember that although the league had already been won, the Jags had to win by a certain amount to qualify for some diddy cup (Anglo-Scottish or Drybrough's or something like that). I have no recollection of any of the action, but I do remember everyone going home happy, so I assume that we did whatever it was we had to do. It was my next door neighbor who took me and he lifted me over the turnstile. We stood infront of the old wall at the North end.

First match - 20th April 1977 away at Kilmarnock. Thistle won 3-1, so it's almost exactly 40 years since I started watching the team. My memory of the match is the banter from the Thistle fans. My mother's family from Glasgow were all Rangers supporters, and they used to joke about the Jags, so I thought that working near Kilmarnock at the time gave me the chance to check them out. One of my better decisions.

Noo...don't shoot me. I went to see Morton for 20 years, when I lived in Greenock. My oldest son asked me to take him to a game after we moved to Glasgow and I told him there was no way I wanted him to support either of the Ugly Sisters. So, my first game was Christie's debut at Firhill. I was expecting to take my boy to a few games and then he would lose interest, but we both developed a massive love for the club. I've now been a ST holder for 5 years and get to most away games too and absolutely have The Jags running through my veins. My Morton supporting pals don't speak to me anymore.

• Like 4