Liam Lindsey's (Relative) Value?

thistle4celtic1

^^

This has all been gone over before. Agents like to sell players, as they get a cut. So in any contract discussions the "trigger" fee for selling a player will be set with this is mind - the club will argue for a higher fee but in the end they have to settle for some sort of compromise or the player won't sign or will only sign on for a short deal when you want him for 2-3 seasons. It's been made clear that both clubs met the trigger fee whatever that was and that will be c. £300K. The club will be able to insist on add-ons and try to make the best deal regardless. However there's no way really big money would be offered unless 2 or 3 clubs got into a bidding war.

If he's under contract, then he's bound to the club for the duration of the contract and the club would have a say in the fees required to pry him away.

We valued him at 750k a month or two ago. I don't understand what changed unless he had a specific clause in his contract that anyone offering 350k could come in?

As many others have said. He might have a clause in his contract which means we have no choice but to accept it. There is no point moaning about the fee because with a sell on fee and the performance clauses it could go up to or even exceed our valuation (roughly £750k)

Edited by lithgaejag

Reported in Daily Record (possibly others) that we had a 750k valuation.

Which may or may not be true. If it is I'd expect the valuation to be the initial fee plus add ons whether sell on percentage, appearances or Scotland caps or whatever, added together that may take the total to £750k

As many others have said. He might have a clause in his contract which means we have no choice but to accept it. There is no point moaning about the fee because with a sell on fee and the performance clauses it could go up to or even exceed our valuation (roughly £750k)

Exactly.

If it was reported that Liam was being sold for a straight £750K, paid in instalments with no add ons or sell ons, would everybody be happier? For all we know he could go to Barnsley for £350K, play say 40 games and trigger an add on of £250K. He subsequently gets sold to Stoke City for £2m and we get a 20% sell on fee. We're £1m for the deal, Barnsley have made money and Lindsay's as pleased as Punch. That of course is just daft conjecture based on nothing. I reckon I'm on much safer ground when I say we can't be seen to be holding back the progress of one of our home grown players. Liam moving on to better things will be a real selling point for the Academy. Something tangible rather than merely promising.

• Like 4

A record transfer fee for the club if/ when this goes through. I wonder how Archie will reinvest any money added to the playing budget? Will we maybe look at a small transfer/ development fee for a suitable candidate?

I reckon we will stay within the general strategy of looking at younger players who have maybe been kept back by a lack of game time for whatever reason.

Archie looking for a left sided replacement going by the piece in today's Evening Times. Shame we missed the boat on Kelly that went to County but there are hundreds of players out there looking for a gig so I'm confident we can add one or two gems.

Personally I'd like some pace added to the attack and perhaps another fullback or at least someone that can play the position better than Stevie Lawless :P

Any cash left over can be spent on a giant statue of Kris Doolan to tower over the City End!

A record transfer fee for the club if/ when this goes through.

I did give the quoted fee a bit of a boost and in pure numeric terms it would be a record and it certainly would be the best we've had for a few years (I think we got 100K plus for Gary Harkins in fortunate circumstances and that was the biggest then for a long time) . However if you take inflation into account the 200K we got for Mo Johnson would be worth at least 500K in today's money.

Of course the Harkins money went straight to the tax man, whereas anything we get if Lindsay is sold is profit (though to be re-invested immediately).

Edited by Mr Bunny