New Players...

Vinnyjag

I think this is the first time I can remember approaching close season with the view that we don't need to sign many new players. I also think that for the first time we will be an attractive proposition for a lot more players than ever before.

That being said we will still have one of the lowest wage budgets in the league, however I still think we are capable of signing a couple of decent additions to the squad.

Looking at some of the available Scottish players , Josh Meekings at ICT is available, although that's dependent on what happens with Lindsay and Keown, if any of those are not here I think Meekings would be a decent replacement.

Another player I have liked the look of is Jordan Jones at Killie, I am not sure what his situation is or if he is a loanee, but his wing play is excellent and something which we need.

All in all looking forward to what transfer magic Archie does over the next few months.

I think this is the first time I can remember approaching close season with the view that we don't need to sign many new players. I also think that for the first time we will be an attractive proposition for a lot more players than ever before.

That being said we will still have one of the lowest wage budgets in the league, however I still think we are capable of signing a couple of decent additions to the squad.

Looking at some of the available Scottish players , Josh Meekings at ICT is available, although that's dependent on what happens with Lindsay and Keown, if any of those are not here I think Meekings would be a decent replacement.

Another player I have liked the look of is Jordan Jones at Killie, I am not sure what his situation is or if he is a loanee, but his wing play is excellent and something which we need.

All in all looking forward to what transfer magic Archie does over the next few months.

priority would be trying to hold onto Lindsay and Keown. If we did lose either what about Jack Henry - still young, shown plenty of potential and know the club and manager as well as some of the players
  • Like 1

Although we have a lot of players signed for the coming season and only need one or two, we do need to be adding a bit more quality to the squad. We did that with Barton and Erskine. We also need to be trying to extend the contracts of a number of the current squad, otherwise January could see some players sign PCA's elsewhere.

• Like 1

Although we have a lot of players signed for the coming season and only need one or two, we do need to be adding a bit more quality to the squad. We did that with Barton and Erskine. We also need to be trying to extend the contracts of a number of the current squad, otherwise January could see some players sign PCA's elsewhere.

No 1 priority should be getting Cerny signed up for another two years. Jack Hendry is a good shout and if the papers are to believed Celtic might be releasing the young centre back O'Connell who is highly rated by a few of my Sellik mates, though he may be looking for a move down south.

No 1 priority should be getting Cerny signed up for another two years. Jack Hendry is a good shout and if the papers are to believed Celtic might be releasing the young centre back O'Connell who is highly rated by a few of my Sellik mates, though he may be looking for a move down south.

We definitely need to get Cerny signed. I am not sure about Hendry. I didn't see enough of him before he moved South and I don't know O'Connell, but put more faith in our own youth system. I would be hoping for players that would have a bit more impact than our current squad. I am not in anyway trying to criticise our team as there has been steady progress year on year. I just think that to get to the next target of winning a trophy or making Europe we need to add a bit more quality

We definitely need to get Cerny signed. I am not sure about Hendry. I didn't see enough of him before he moved South and I don't know O'Connell, but put more faith in our own youth system. I would be hoping for players that would have a bit more impact than our current squad. I am not in anyway trying to criticise our team as there has been steady progress year on year. I just think that to get to the next target of winning a trophy or making Europe we need to add a bit more quality

None of us saw a lot of Jack, but in the few games he played, he looked the better prospect of the two young centre half's however and I said so at the time, it would have been far better for him to stay at Firhill for a few seasons and get the experience before heading down south. Liam has done exactly the right thing and it looks like it's going to be rewarded with a half decent move and he should now be looking at walking straight into the first team for whatever club he eventually goes to.

Edited by Lindau

What about Sam Stanton, formerly of Hibs, now at Dumbarton? 4 years ago as a very young player, he was the absolute stand out in a crumbling Hibs side, creating and scoring goals and not letting his standards drop as all around him collapsed. I thought that he would be a star at championship level the next season, but for whatever reason (injury, loss of form or confidence, delayed relegation blues, poor attitude, I do not know), he hardly featured under Alan Stubbs and his career began to wander.

However, he now seems to be back on track, scoring goals and contributing to Dumbarton's good run to safety. I appreciate that we would not normally recruit a player from the Championship, but he was such an outstanding prospect that this could be worth a thought. He could play wide and therefore replace David Amoo, but with more proactive involvement in the game and a more direct goal threat. He would also be able to supplement or when required replace the creativity of Erskine and Lawless in more central attacking areas.

Edited by partickthedog

What about Sam Stanton, formerly of Hibs, now at Dumbarton? 4 years ago as a very young player, he was the absolute stand out in a crumbling Hibs side, creating and scoring goals and not letting his standards drop as all around him collapsed. I thought that he would be a star at championship level the next season, but for whatever reason (injury, loss of form or confidence, delayed relegation blues, poor attitude, I do not know), he hardly featured under Alan Stubbs and his career began to wander.

However, he now seems to be back on track, scoring goals and contributing to Dumbarton's good run to safety. I appreciate that we would not normally recruit a player from the Championship, but he was such an outstanding prospect that this could be worth a thought. He could play wide and therefore replace David Amoo, but with more proactive involvement in the game and a more direct goal threat. He would also be able to supplement or when required replace the creativity of Erskine and Lawless in more central attacking areas.

i think we would recruit more from the Scottish championship if it wasn't for the compensation rule for guys like Sibbald, Nathan Austin etc That wouldn't apply in Stantons case

Besides we got Booth and Cerny at the time from a champion team

Stanton probably falls in the Booth category.

Highly rated, great first season with Hibs then lost his way a bit due to new manager not playing him etc before dropping to a lower rated team.

I'm sure we've shown an interest in him before, perhaps Archie is the man to get his career back on track.

In saying that, after getting a top 6 finish perhaps we'll be looking at a higher standard in which to recruit our new players.

My only real worry is we start the league games with two new centrebacks or an untried partnership). I don't rate Barton in a back two and a back three is not always suitable. We won't be rushed into selling Lindsay and if Keown was to return it would likely be a late decision. The knock on from that being we might not be able to bring in a new centreback when pre season kicks off.

Reckon Amoo will not be here next season and Archie will replace him with someone comfortable on both wings but primarily a right sided player to play down the left. That was evidently why we've got Banton and the lad Hippolyte at Falkirk fits the bill, positionally at least. Be interesting to see whether the likes of McCarthy, Nisbet, Penrice go out on loan.

I'm not so certain that we won't be looking for quite a few new players in the summer. We know about the interest in Liam, but our good form might well reignite interest in Lawless. I'm sure that Barton's form will not have gone unnoticed and Ryan Edwards has been in the Aussie squad,not to mention a youngster like McCarthy playing well at a high level. Of course all of them would demand a transfer fee, but we would still need to identify the players to spend that money on. Ifwe are also looking for a new manager then that would throw another fly in the ointment.

I hope that we can keep this squad together, but I am certainly not complacent

priority would be trying to hold onto Lindsay and Keown. If we did lose either what about Jack Henry - still young, shown plenty of potential and know the club and manager as well as some of the players

As Mikael Mandron is now at Wigan I'm fairly certain we'll be keeping tabs on Jack Hendry's progress as a side issue. :thumbsup2:

Liam Buchanan, 27 goals scored for Livi this season, League One Player ot Year, is available and would like a crack at the Premiership.

http://www.heraldsco...elping_Livi_up/

Just saying....

There is no doubt Liam has an absolutely fantastic goal scoring record but would he be able to cut it in the Premiership? I suppose there is only one way to find out.

There is no doubt Liam has an absolutely fantastic goal scoring record but would he be able to cut it in the Premiership? I suppose there is only one way to find out.

I can think of one player, same size, a year younger with a similar goal scoring record to Liam. This fella plays in a league above Buchanan. Maybe we should go for John Baird?

I can think of one player, same size, a year younger with a similar goal scoring record to Liam. This fella plays in a league above Buchanan. Maybe we should go for John Baird?

Similar, but not very similar. Buchanan scored on average in 36% of games played for Thistle (84), Baird in 0% (13 games). Buchanan has scored in 47% of games played for Livi (66), Baird in 37% of games for Falkirk (87).

If we were realistically interested in either as a squad player, on those figures alone I think there's a stronger case for...... one of the two!

• Like 1