New Players...

Vinnyjag

The Player Fund.......................................

At the beginning of last season the club started the player fund where-by you could setup a direct debit and contribute if you were in a fortunate enough position to do so.

Has there been any feedback from the club as to how it is progressing? Basically, is there enough people contributing to make it worthwhile?

Surely the number of people contributing isn't especially relevant?

I doubt we'd hear anything concrete about how well or poorly the scheme is doing. If the Club told us it was a raging success and £X amount had been raised so far it could provoke the attitude of "well they don't need my money". If it's been a resounding flop then they'd be promoting what would appear to be a sinking ship. So it's my opinion that the Player Fund is doing reasonably well :)

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Regardless of how many people are in at the moment a few new people signing up would not hurt:

https://ptfc.co.uk/fans/players-fund/

If you are looking for a chance to win something whilst putting money in to the club then try the Centenary Fund:

https://ptfc.co.uk/fans/centenary-fund/join-the-centenary-fund/

The number of people contributing is relevant. If there's only 20 people putting in a tenner a month for example that's about 2 weeks wages generated in a year, therefore not worthwhile in my opinion.

I understand the club cant be overly open about how much is raised but similarly, it would be good to know if its worth continuing.

Sean Welsh is a very good player. Smart and a good passer which helps the team retain possession and recycle play. I'm disappointed he's leaving. Prefer him to Osman, Fraser and McCarthy.

Don't disagree with your first three sentences. In fact I'd find it very difficult to argue with anything there. Perhaps any disappointment about Sean's departure can be tempered with our strength in midfield but even at that he's course and distance. Must've been a very difficult decision for Archie to make.

All that said I'd have been appalled if Welsh was retained at the expense of McCarthy. Andy, tho' a slightly different type of player than Bannigan, has impressed all last season. He looks every bit to have similar potential to Stuart B. I reckon his extension to contract is maybe ahead of Elliott's re-signing as the best bit of business we've done so far this closed season. I've said before that Welsh, if he hadn't been injured, was heading to be my player of the season. Even so if it was a straight decision to retain Sean ahead of McCarthy (an unlikely choice to be fair) extending Andy's contract is a no brainer.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

As someone who has little knowledge if what's coming through at younger levels, this is very very encouraging.

You can follow the progress of the youth players to some extent via Jagzone reports. Good for someone like me, too lazy to go to the games. Sometimes get interviews with the youngsters which gives some idea of their character - mostly get a good impression of decent young lads with their heads screwed on right, working to make the most of themselves. Not recommending Jagzone as some folk may have cash flow problems but it certainly lets you learn a lot about the youngsters that wasn't possible in the past.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 2

I think he would be a good signing. He is a decent age and knows where the back of the net is. As highlighted yesterday though, he doesn't have a left foot which is something as a professional footballer though is very questionable and which I don't understand. He has pace though and if he had the same amount of games and chances as azeez he would easily get double figures.

As you say though, it sounds like he's off to the Hibees

Simon Murray has now gone to Hibs. Not sure if it's that big a loss to us. Listened to the Play off on the radio and the commentators absolutley panned him for his performance.

Think he would have done a job as he has boundless energy and scores goals, however he was shocking in both the play off games against the Accies.

For me we need either new or a youngster promoted in the positions

1. Striker to get in double figures to help assist Dools for our goals for ratio. Dream signing would be Lyle Taylor, really loved his play and options he gave us.

2. Central defence. Looks like Keown wont be back.

3. Midfielder/Number 10 who will demand the ball and keep possession especially when we are under the cosh.

^^Easy for me to say^^

1. Striker to get in double figures to help assist Dools for our goals for ratio. Dream signing would be Lyle Taylor, really loved his play and options he gave us.

3. Midfielder/Number 10 who will demand the ball and keep possession especially when we are under the cosh.

^^Easy for me to say^^

Don't think we need a striker to bang in double figures (although it would be nice). If Doolan is still firing in 10-15 goals a season what you are looking for is a striker to score 7-9 goals. Lyle Taylor is the only one that has come close to that in recent seasons while azeez and pogba have simply not offered anything in the goal scoring front. You have got to hope nisbet will make the step up this year too

^^Easy for me to say^^

what makes you think Keown won't be back mate?

Now that Dundee United are staying down, is there any chance of signing Blair Spittall, who has always looked a good player, though he maybe has not yet realised his full potential. Perhaps Archie and Shaggy can draw this out of him.

However, I would not consider his brother Hoss, who is rather injury prone.

• Like 2

Keown has hardly kicked a ball for Reading's Develpoment team let alone their first team. The main competition would be League one or two dross down South.

Aside from positional signings I feel the side needs an addition of pace. Part of our propensity for losing late goals is our lack of a genuine counter attacking threat in the form of a player/ or players who can break at speed. Amos managed this once in 2015/16 vs St Johnstone. However the trick is getting a player who can play a bit as well, rather than just run fast.

I wonder why he was released. Celtic were the invincibles and we had a couple of invisibles on the books.

Loan signings from FOURTH tier English football teams says everything. If he can't get a game for Crawley, how are teams in Scotland ever going to challenge Celtic in a game?

The standard has been set this season, its upto Archie to find a way to improve not only by the addition of new players, but by improving the players we already have. We need to be faster, fitter and more composed in possession. That's something that can be coached and doesn't cost millions to do. If you want to be a professional footballer and your not motivated enough to reach that standard then your in the wrong job.

• Like 1

See we are linked with Blair Spittal from Dundee Utd. Decent player but not the most exciting but happy to be proved wrong.

Packs a great direct free kick, not an area we have been prolific from in recent years, since the Bull and Simon Donnelly moved on. Higgy got a few. Indeed the only one I ca recall in the past couple of seasons was Booth v Dundee.