New Players...

Vinnyjag

Archie is long overdue a signing of a decent striker....he cannot make an arse of it again can he???

I was thinking the same. He's been a great manager, but nobody can argue that his record on bringing in attackers is very poor. Actually, his record in signing goalscorers of any capacity has been awful: Dools, Lawless, and Erskine were all McCall/Jackie signings. Although a case could be made for bringing through Lindsay.

Archie is long overdue a signing of a decent striker....he cannot make an arse of it again can he???

I know it's incredible how he has managed to get it so wrong so many times, they are all hanging around the job centre waiting on the offer for minimum wage too!!

Why I mentioned Akins was I thought he was one of the poorest excuses for a striker I had seen. Accies, albeit a league above us, obviously thought the same. Forward a year or so and neither Accies nor ourselves would have a hope in hell of affording the same player. OK I might be taking things too far and the example of Big Lucas may be something of an extreme. Even so I feel it shows up the difficulty a club our size faces in signing a striker particularly within our target age group.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to any argument that suggests that Archie and Shaggy being defenders wouldn't recognise good potential strikers. Firstly we do have a scouting system to throw up potentially decent strikers and secondly defenders should by nature of experience recognise the quality in an attacking player.

What concerns me with Azeez, and I suppose a few other been and gone strikers we've had of late, is the lack of improvement once these guys have been signed. Maybe a bit simplistic but we have a goalkeeping coach and clearly with two accomplished defenders in management we're well covered in matters of defence. I guess you can see where I'm going with this and knowing how meticulous Archie is with preparation I find it a bit surprising we don't appear to have a dedicated "forward" coach. Perhaps we have and he's either low key or we're unaware of his activity?

Could there be an extra role there for Kris Doolan? I know he's young and I wouldn't want to distract from his own playing career, but if you were looking for someone to develop a striker's movement and finishing, not to mention attitude, I can't think of anyone much better.

• Like 2

Could there be an extra role there for Kris Doolan? I know he's young and I wouldn't want to distract from his own playing career, but if you were looking for someone to develop a striker's movement and finishing, not to mention attitude, I can't think of anyone much better.

Possibly being groomed as Archie 's successor.

I think the last forward coach we had was a certain Darren Jackson on a part-time basis...

Often wonder if that was more of a sinecure. Tho' what I remember of Jackson as a player was he wasn't the most talented of players but timed his runs well and made good use of the channels. Probably the type of player that would make a good coach rather than a gifted natural striker who never needed to be constantly working at his game. Btw we also had McFadden training with us for a prolonged period. Tho' second best to an actual coach he would've been a useful guy to have around.

As I said Archie appears to be meticulous in preparation so perhaps there is a dedicated striker/forward coach on hand if only on an ad hoc basis? If not perhaps someone like Peter MacDonald would be a good shout. He must be winding down his playing career by now. Couldn't stand the wee bugger when he played against us but from what I hear he's a good lad with some sort of coaching ability. In the back of my mind MacDonald was at Firhill a few years back perhaps as a youth coach?

As I said Archie appears to be meticulous in preparation so perhaps there is a dedicated striker/forward coach on hand if only on an ad hoc basis? If not perhaps someone like Peter MacDonald would be a good shout. He must be winding down his playing career by now. Couldn't stand the wee bugger when he played against us but from what I hear he's a good lad with some sort of coaching ability. In the back of my mind MacDonald was at Firhill a few years back perhaps as a youth coach?

Was he not involved in coaching our youth teams a couple of years ago? Also, did he not end up managing Clyde at one point last season, so I would imagine he must have stopped playing now

Was he not involved in coaching our youth teams a couple of years ago? Also, did he not end up managing Clyde at one point last season, so I would imagine he must have stopped playing now

Signed for Stirling Albion a couple of weeks ago.

Would like to see two centre backs, one quick attacking midfielder and a striker come in.

Think Kevin Nisbet and Andrew Mccarthy would benefit from going to a league one club and Penrice to a championship club.

Sending out all 3 on loan at the same time is probably unlikely given out squad size though.

age is a funny thing and we know that Gerry B is experimenting with some kind of 'physical development age' with the younger kids as we all develop at different rates.

Robbie Muirhead was 19 when he arrived with us on loan and was deemed mature enough for the first team.

I agree, lets see what Nisbet has grown into at 20.

Why I mentioned Akins was I thought he was one of the poorest excuses for a striker I had seen. Accies, albeit a league above us, obviously thought the same. Forward a year or so and neither Accies nor ourselves would have a hope in hell of affording the same player. OK I might be taking things too far and the example of Big Lucas may be something of an extreme. Even so I feel it shows up the difficulty a club our size faces in signing a striker particularly within our target age group.

I wouldn't pay too much heed to any argument that suggests that Archie and Shaggy being defenders wouldn't recognise good potential strikers. Firstly we do have a scouting system to throw up potentially decent strikers and secondly defenders should by nature of experience recognise the quality in an attacking player.

What concerns me with Azeez, and I suppose a few other been and gone strikers we've had of late, is the lack of improvement once these guys have been signed. Maybe a bit simplistic but we have a goalkeeping coach and clearly with two accomplished defenders in management we're well covered in matters of defence. I guess you can see where I'm going with this and knowing how meticulous Archie is with preparation I find it a bit surprising we don't appear to have a dedicated "forward" coach. Perhaps we have and he's either low key or we're unaware of his activity?

dont know about the scouting system but I remember that pogba was recommended to the club by Osman as they had both played together at Crewe though I guess he was more prolific there than he turned out to be for us