New Players...

Vinnyjag

I'd love to see us sign Peter Grant from Falkirk, left sided centre half, over 6 foot, only 23, he's contracted til next year though so I'd imagine they would be after a decent fee. I'd assume a few teams will be after him but I've always been impressed with him, I would rather see us sign him!

• Like 1

When we finished top six, the talk was about the advantages of knowing where we would be playing the following season and being able to plan ahead. We're almost half way through pre-season and so far we've brought in two players and had a few go.

Have we missed out on the advantage?

When we finished top six, the talk was about the advantages of knowing where we would be playing the following season and being able to plan ahead. We're almost half way through pre-season and so far we've brought in two players and had a few go.

Have we missed out on the advantage?

Good question but in reality so much depended on Lindsay's decision. We knew he was most likely to leave but we weren't pushing him out the door. Apart from the centreback situation I reckon we need another forward. The situation with Keown is in a way similar to Liam in so much as we don't yet know for sure he won't be with us next season.

I'd like to think that our relatively favourable financial situation means we're setting our sights a tad higher than usual and the early signing advantage has given way to chasing better quality. That's just the optimist in me and we'll probably be scrambling about for late signings/loan deals late on as usual.

Surely by now the realisation of where we play etc is irrelevant. The agents rule the roost. They will never have their client sign early in the window and will be in the players ear whispering and promising the world!!! Nothing Archie can do about that no matter what league or money is offered!!

Whilst I don't doubt what you say about agents, how have the likes of Dundee, St Johnstone etc. managed to make some very decent signings? We will have 3 new signings tomorrow anyway when the winners of the Be a Pro is announced. You never know, they just might be needed to fill the bench

What does everyone make of Eamonn Brophy? I think he has been released from Accies.I know he's scored most of his goals against us, but I've not seen much of him.could he be a sort of poacher/ player to contrast dools or azeez or would we be aswell as giving Nisbet a go?

Edited by jags on tour

I remember Brophy in the 2-2 draw last day of the 15-16 season, thought he was superb that day, gave us a realy hard game.

Can't say I remember what else he's done or if he scores regularly, but be worth a trial maybe. He's a bit stocky, not sure if he struggles with his weight and injuries?

Hamilton fans don't seem particularly bothered that he's gone, and he got the same amount of league goals as Azeez did last season. If we were merely needing a back up player to pitch in when there's injury/rotation then sure, but I can't see brophy being a big improvement to our squad.

Surely by now the realisation of where we play etc is irrelevant. The agents rule the roost. They will never have their client sign early in the window and will be in the players ear whispering and promising the world!!! Nothing Archie can do about that no matter what league or money is offered!!

On the other hand, if players are not taking part in pre season training it could be some time before they are ready to play. If they are out of contract the players will want something tied up early.

We really are looking like an established premier league team these days. Probably for the first time that I can remember, we'll go into a season and not be a favourite for relegation.

Famous last words though..

For the last 2 seasons, the favourites for relegation have been us and Hamilton. Perhaps being favourites for relegation is not a bad thing.