New Players...

Vinnyjag

Quality is needed, as statistically we haven't actually improved much this season. We have scored 3 less goals, conceded 4 more goals, amassed 4 less points, got a worse goal difference (-7), and won 2 less games than last season. Some, but by no means all of that could be put down to the fact we played 5 games in the Top-6 compared to last season, but even if we had of finished bottom 6, we would only have won 2 or 3 games max anyway (we only got 5pts post-split last season). So to say that there has been any statistically significant improvement this season wouldn't be accurate. The number of games lost has stayed stable however. We all know Erskine and Azeez were brought in to solve the goalscoring problem, but on paper, that hasn't actually been effective.

Our 6th place position is fantastic without a doubt. But when you factor in our actual on field stats, it is obvious that much work is needed over the summer.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

^^

These stats are a bit dubious because we got a top 6 finish. In the top six you play five games against the top teams in the league while teams below face weaker teams. So you can't really compare them. Bottom team of top six often ends up with fewer points than top team of bottom six - for the same reason.

Having said that with Hibs coming up it will be harder to make top six next season so we only have a chance if we improve the team. Possibly need a bit more cover - perhaps a couple of players (apart from Elliot) who can play more than one position. I think we've been hit worse than other teams by injuries this season (perhaps it seems that way due to a smaller squad?) and certainly in our run-in to top six some players were playing through injuries, e.g. Osman and Erskine. We could do with the luck of having fewer injuries and suspensions next season.

Edited by Mr Bunny

2016 League Position : 9.

2017 League Position : 6.

In a league competition the final position stat does tend to be quite significant....

I think it's quite obvious that I am referencing our actual on field performances since league position can also be affected by how other teams perform against each other. You're right that league position is what matters, however, you also need to ensure that you're progressing season after season yourself. And two really good indicators of this are simply how many goals you score, and how many goals you concede.

For example, to take the bias out of the Top/Bottom-6 argument completely, just compare our stats pre-split this season vs last season. The points are exactly the same, with the goal difference being 4. There certainly isn't any sign of improvement this season in that regard, and anecdotally, I think we actually played more entertaining football last season than we did this season.

The key stat to consider is that we only lost one game in total to any of the bottom 6 clubs, which emphasises that we deserve to be in the top 6

I think it's quite obvious that I am referencing our actual on field performances since league position can also be affected by how other teams perform against each other. You're right that league position is what matters, however, you also need to ensure that you're progressing season after season yourself. And two really good indicators of this are simply how many goals you score, and how many goals you concede.

For example, to take the bias out of the Top/Bottom-6 argument completely, just compare our stats pre-split this season vs last season. The points are exactly the same, with the goal difference being 4. There certainly isn't any sign of improvement this season in that regard, and anecdotally, I think we actually played more entertaining football last season than we did this season.

What is this obsession for some with bringing back old players? We have improved on them year on year so no thanks to stepping back.

Agreed. People want to progress as a club, and then you see names like Liam Buchanan, John Baird and James Craigen being touted as potential signings. Absolute madness.

• Like 2

Agreed. People want to progress as a club, and then you see names like Liam Buchanan, John Baird and James Craigen being touted as potential signings. Absolute madness.

Can't think of any recent player I'd want to see return. SOD & ATS might have been exceptions but they don't play in positions where we particularly require strengthening.

Can't think of any recent player I'd want to see return. SOD & ATS might have been exceptions but they don't play in positions where we particularly require strengthening.

Normally I would agree LIB but I am hoping Booths poor form is down to injury alone. Dumbaya is another who's is very injury prone and Elliot is ok filling in but not as a permanent replacement for either.

Azeez has been given sufficient time by the fans and the management.

He was embarrassingly bad in the last few games when one may have expected him to improve after his goal at Celtic. Archie should cut his losses and dump him now.

In relation to ATS and SOD, They were both excellent payers for us and are still young. They both had bad injuries this year and perhaps have been unlucky not to receive a new contract. On this season's form, they would have walked into our team as long as their previous standards had been reached. Booth and Muzzy had much worse seasons this season compared to last for various reasons. I hope that they can both return to top form but both are causing extreme cause for concern. In addition, I have always believed ATS would be more than capable at CB if required. Go for them both!

I hope DU do not get promoted as I like the look of their front 4 and would covet all of them.

• Like 1

A little bid sad to see Sean Welsh go but I would imagine it was a straight choice between him and Fraser as to who we kept. Fraser definitely the better player if he can get fit. Ironically, he will be under the same terms as Welsh was a couple of years ago after his run of injuries.

Hope Sean gets a decent contract somewhere else, five years good service at Firhill.

• Like 2

Sean has had a very good season as well, and he'll get a deal somewhere no problem.

A bit surprised at Fraser getting a new deal. Hasn't really done anything when fit, and with our restricted budget, we should be focussing in players who are not injury prone.

Totally agree with the comments about Azeez. Time to go.

• Like 1

Very sad to see Welsh go - must have been a very difficult decision to let him go. He is a class act and is a big loss.

Amoo just has not done enough this season - very frustrating player who is capable of better if he would believe in himself a bit more.

Surprised a Fraser getting a deal without proving his fitness in a pre-season. He is probably the most technically gifted player in the squad but has had a terrible run of injuries.

Over the next few weeks I think you will see Azeez getting freed as well. The big guy has had some good games for us but has zero confidence in front of goal. We know Archie would have been working very hard with him on this but really he has went backward over the course of the season. Would love to be wrong on him though - he is very entertaining to watch but has little final product in front of goal.

I have heard from a fairly reliable source that we are in the market for a striker, winger and a central defender. Not surprising really given the number of midfielders we have.

I dont have a problem with Azeez being kept on but we do need another goalscorer as it is not his strong point !

I am not sure anyone was being serious about signing any of them. More a comment that looking down the leagues at those performing well, at least in the goal charts, can be very misleading.

I think people look back on SOD and ATS with rose tinted glasses.

Both fantastic in an attacking top of the first division team. But as defenders in a mid table Premiership they didn't have it on a consistent enough basis. As demonstrated by our first season up. SOD was a confidence player and when he was on a bad patch, nothing got him out of it, the whole world was against him.

Archie has learned from experience that to be safe in this league you need to play safe. The overlapping wingback flair and abandon of the first season up has all but gone.

I think people look back on SOD and ATS with rose tinted glasses.

Both fantastic in an attacking top of the first division team. But as defenders in a mid table Premiership they didn't have it on a consistent enough basis. As demonstrated by our first season up. SOD was a confidence player and when he was on a bad patch, nothing got him out of it, the whole world was against him.

Archie has learned from experience that to be safe in this league you need to play safe. The overlapping wingback flair and abandon of the first season up has all but gone.

i guess it's all about opinions but rose coloured glasses or not I still feel they are a step up from some of the defenders we have just now Devine and Booth. Mustapha is class when fit but has only played 30 games including substitute appearances in 2 years that is not a huge number of appearances at all and I don't see his injury worries clearing up. Can't fault Elliot's versatility and obviously right back was not the position he was signed for but I see O Donnell an upgrade on him in the role though Christie is probably the most versatile player we have at the club.

All about opinions though