New Players...

Vinnyjag

See we are linked with Blair Spittal from Dundee Utd. Decent player but not the most exciting but happy to be proved wrong.

Think that would be a decent player. Archie apparently tried to sign him when he was with Queens Park but we couldnt compete with Dundee United. He seems to be the only player United fans want to keep and there was indications that sooner or later he would follow the likes of some of their other former spiders players onto big English clubs. I think United have not only had terrible problems with manager choice over the last couple of years as well as being financially uncertain.

He's only about 20 or 21, get him on a 3 year deal under an excellent manager in Archie see him progress and reckon he will do very well for us. Also gret that its us know who are able to possibly pinch Dundee Uniteds best players like with Erskine, when not so long ago they seemed to be grabbing better players from us eg Paton, Erskine, Grady etc or at least trying to tempt some of our players to sign for them eg O Donnell, Lawless etc

I wonder why he was released. Celtic were the invincibles and we had a couple of invisibles on the books.

Loan signings from FOURTH tier English football teams says everything. If he can't get a game for Crawley, how are teams in Scotland ever going to challenge Celtic in a game?

The standard has been set this season, its upto Archie to find a way to improve not only by the addition of new players, but by improving the players we already have. We need to be faster, fitter and more composed in possession. That's something that can be coached and doesn't cost millions to do. If you want to be a professional footballer and your not motivated enough to reach that standard then your in the wrong job.

What?

Many players from that league would fit comfortably into our team.

Now let me see, who was one of our better players this year?

It wouldn't be a Mr Barton signed from a FOURTH tier English team perchance?

My only exposure to English League Two is yon highlights programme on a Saturday night. And even at that my TV screen is often blurred at that time, especially when the Jags have had a good result. It does appear fairly brutal given that I'm watching highlights. Could it be tho' that it's the standard of football that's poor and not necessarily the players? I hope so, as from what I hear players in that division are often in the same wage bracket as in our league.

Big Col's point about exception to the rule may well be valid but isn't it the job of our management to seek out these exceptions? That's what a scouting network is for. Archie near always goes for players in their late teens to early twenties (Barton signed at 25 was actually quite old). I'd be surprised if there isn't a good handful of young players in League Two, perhaps stymied by their team's method of play, who couldn't develop with us. That's where our policy of only signing players who fit in and are young enough to develop comes into play.

I ll see your Pogba and raise you Gary Miller

I'm not really sure what this proves? A bit part utility player who did fairly well but clearly wasn't first choice for us when everyone was fit who has gone on to be a crucial player for one of the best teams in the league 2.

For what it's worth, throwing out individual players succeeding or failing at individual clubs isn't proof of anything. There's a myriad of reasons why a player might succeed at one club and totally fail at another, and the relative quality of the league is only one of them.

• Like 1

Although still in its relative infancy surely there must be better coming through the youth system. Its not only our club that are guilty of bringing in 'guisers' who play ahead of a promising young player. As i said, the standard has been set, thats the level we need to be at. the players coming through need to have that potential if not were wasting our time. Id have your McCarthy's over your Barton's everytime

Edited by MonehJags

Although still in its relative infancy surely there must be better coming through the youth system. Its not only our club that are guilty of bringing in 'guisers' who play ahead of a promising young player. As i said, the standard has been set, thats the level we need to be at. the players coming through need to have that potential if not were wasting our time. Id have your McCarthy's over your Barton's everytime

I'm bemused that you consider our Player of the Year to be a 'guiser.'

We paid money for barton who was featuring for Portsmouth, a team that would later go on and win promotion. Im not suggesting he is a bad player, he has looked a class act at times, best suited in defense.

My first post was about the loan signing of a player who couldnt get a game for Crawley. Surely alarm bells are ringing there.

A Few Motherwell fans saying they have beaten us to the signing of Inverness striker Alec Fisher and Queens Park highly rated youngster Liam Brown.

I know from going to a few spiders fans that Brown is considered their best prospect at 18.

I actually thought Motherwell were supposed to be pretty skint but perhaps not

A Few Motherwell fans saying they have beaten us to the signing of Inverness striker Alec Fisher and Queens Park highly rated youngster Liam Brown.

I know from going to a few spiders fans that Brown is considered their best prospect at 18.

I actually thought Motherwell were supposed to be pretty skint but perhaps not

The lad Fisher interested me as I got the impression he was useless then all of a sudden he's scoring about every game. No idea if he was a targeted player or not but hopefully he's not up to much. Certainly don't recall ICT fans being that animated about the lad.

Don't see how other fans can know who our targets are when we (our own fans) don't. Don't think Motherwell will have paid money for them other than signing on fees.

think one of them had mentioned there was a bit in the record about us and well after brown- while the fisher one about beating us to him was spotted by one of them on Twitter- though they presumably realise that these outlets to be most polite frequently get their rumours completely wrong

I'm bemused that you consider our Player of the Year to be a 'guiser.'

dont want to keep going on about it but as there's little signing rumours- as he was voted player of the year I felt he should have been out applauding the fans who voted him that honour at our final game. Was quite disappointing that he didn't bother Edited by Third Lanark