Premiership Play-Offs

CCjag

I, and I expect most of those who were at Tannadice that evening in 1996, will have enjoyed watching Downdee Utd have their very own “Les Mottram Moment” tonight.

While the tie is not yet settled, and I have no love for The Accies, I hope they finish the job on Sunday and that United feel the injustice we did twenty-one years ago.

Still bitter?

You bet I am!

Edited by CCjag
  • Like 6

At the end of the game that was also the thought running through my mind. The foul on Nicky Henderson was much more clear cut than the one not given tonight. Although it was probably a foul Simon Murray did dive again. His fist dive in the match was absolutely shameful. I have sympathy with tonight's referee but still no sympathy for Mottram.

• Like 1

I know our football league is descending into the realms of "Diddy" status with every new graduate from Largs, but the officials are with their wee whistles and flags are not helping. If nothing else, you always get a good laugh at some of the decisions.

21 years since Mottram...........its still like a skelf under the finger nail......

21 years since Mottram...........its still like a skelf under the finger nail......

When Mottram walked off the pitch that night I don't think I have ever directed more anger at one person ever in my life before or since.

He waved to us the next time he reffed us at cappilow.If I had been Murdo McLeod I would have taken the team off the pitch for that.

We moan about today's refs but guys like Buster and Slyme really were the pits. My brother in law used to run the lines in the top league and he was from the same ref association as Syme. He said to him at an end of season refs do, at which I believe Syme was a bit worse for wear, that his Partick Thistle supporting brother in law hated the sight of him. He said the feeling was mutual towards Thistle because on several occasions the club had given him the lowest markings for match refereeing that he had ever received. Being honest, I can't every remember Syme ever having a good game anytime he refereed any of our games. He was massively biased towards any club we played against.

Edited by Lindau

I suspect/fear that there will be future alterations to the 1/4 final, semi-final, final eliminator sequence just because of the perception that it potentially benefits one club over another and no doubt the success of the EFL play-offs structure will be used as an example.

There might be an argument, for example, for a neutral venue to be used for one-off games - for example this season Morton could have played Dundee United at Falkirk - the winner playing Falkirk at McDairmid Park or Easter Road then the winner of that playing Hamilton at Easter Road or Tynecastle or the likes.

Having said that, I fear that any change would probably come into effect during a season where we finish 11th and we would end up being the fall guys for the "levelling of the playing field"!

Good for Accies today though.