Pre-Season Friendlies

sandy

When are the first team due to be back for preseason training?

Last season preseason started on Monday 20th June so I'd imagine players will be back this week some time, if not today. Again last year's schedule was 1 week training up here then away down south for a week and I expect that will be repeated.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/pre-season-schedule-confirmed-2/

Now officially up on OS. I see I was mistaken as I only had a 2-week preseason and it is two weeks down south as well as a week up here. Hopefully Lindsay situation is sorted out this week so we can get a replacement (assuming he goes, easier for us if he doesn't) in in time to take part in some of the preseason and get to know our system. I also hope we're going to sign a forward/winger (or attacking midfielder) soon.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/pre-season-schedule-confirmed-2/

Now officially up on OS. I see I was mistaken as I only had a 2-week preseason and it is two weeks down south as well as a week up here. Hopefully Lindsay situation is sorted out this week so we can get a replacement (assuming he goes, easier for us if he doesn't) in in time to take part in some of the preseason and get to know our system. I also hope we're going to sign a forward/winger (or attacking midfielder) soon.

Err, "European Training Camp"? Just saying

You'd think that a top six Scottish Premiership team might be able to attract an English Premiership or Championship squad for either a home or an away pre-season friendly.

But not us, it would seem.

Having said that, no idea who other teams are playing pre-season.

nor me, but I suspect the BetFred has definitely screwed up pre-season friendlies. I would imagine the only possible available dates for us are Tue or Wed 18th/19th July, and then Tue or Wed 1st/2nd Aug. The July dates might be too early for English teams (and the BetFred has probably screwed up the mini-tours of Scotland these teams made in the past). The August date is probably not practical as the League will start a few days later

True; some nice away day/weekend trips, though.

Dumbarton? :rolleyes:

We've had some belters. I went over to NIR in late 80s/ early 90s when we played Cliftonville and Portydown. Away day to Inverness when we played an Inverness Select at start of 91/92 season was outstanding.

People clamour for English EL or Championship sides coming to Firhill but I can't remember a particularly entertaining game and crowds were always pretty low.

Hopefully future preseason entertainment will involve playing our fellow Euro diddies in the qualifying rounds for the Europa League :fan:

Preseason friendlies are interminably shite, tbf.

That's true. Always find it rather amusing watching the established players barely going thru the motions whilst the trialists (and to some extent the younger players) knock their pans in. Inevitably the trialists are made to look better than they are tho' there's been many couldn't do that like yon left back (who played against Glentoran) and the Great Henoc up at Arbroath. Still I did get to see John Baird score a goal for the Jags.

I thought yon ARR Craib fourball was kind of a step up from the usual friendlies. Don't suppose it's feasible these days with the early start to the League Cup but one of yon two day affairs down south would have all the makings of a good weekend.

• Like 1

That's true. Always find it rather amusing watching the established players barely going thru the motions whilst the trialists (and to some extent the younger players) knock their pans in. Inevitably the trialists are made to look better than they are tho' there's been many couldn't do that like yon left back (who played against Glentoran) and the Great Henoc up at Arbroath. Still I did get to see John Baird score a goal for the Jags.

I thought yon ARR Craib fourball was kind of a step up from the usual friendlies. Don't suppose it's feasible these days with the early start to the League Cup but one of yon two day affairs down south would have all the makings of a good weekend.

The ARR Craib tournament was a decent initiative but as stated the early start to the season has probably put that format to bed for now. An invite to a tournament down south or even the continent would be good if we were getting a decent retainer for turning up. I'm all for playing clubs from different leagues from a footballing perspective too but even that element is limited if you're doing it on rare occasions.

I'll still be at Dumbarton though :lol: