Welcome To The Pleasure Dome

jagfox

Absolute crap start to the season. Turgid display from almost everyone in the team, and the penalties seemed even worse. Got a week until St Mirren, and Archie needs to get his finger out and add to this squad. No excuse today, as the bulk of our midfield and sole attacker were all available.

Okay, there'll be pelters because it's only the first game of the season, players injured, etc, etc, but I'm sick to the back teeth of this. Other teams, some supposedly inferior to us, cruise past 'lesser' teams in pre-season games and games like this. We don't compete with the teams in the top six of the league and we struggle with teams out with the league: there's something wrong with the psychology of this team. They only compete if they think it's worth it - if it's a team they're 'better' than, they expect to win as of right; if it's a team 'better' than them, they give up before they start. Not good enough.

• Like 1

Pre-season pish, wait until we have a few more players back

It isn't pre-season, it's a competitive game in one of the two cup competitions that both our goalie and manager think we should be aiming to qualify for the final of. All of Archie's teams are full of nice, laid-back guys: it's a profile he seems to seek out. He's certainly indicated he doesn't want to bring in a player who won't 'gell' with the group. But we need players in this team who really, really don't like losing. Is Archie prepare to sign players like that. Or do they all have to be nice guys?

Bizarre that you're feeling smug tonight. Meantime I'll be more concerned about how honking the team "played" today.

Bizarre that you so blatantly dismissed the concerns of fellow supporters who had a more realistic opinion than you of the potential of our current team.

Bizarre that you so blatantly dismissed the concerns of fellow supporters who had a more realistic opinion than you of the potential of our current team.

Are you expecting me to apologise for not having a negative mood going into a game?

Lets get ready to Grummmmmble........................

This result was totally expected..........until we get a proven goal scorer to play alongside Dools. I'll repeat that "to play alongside Dools" and a commanding centre half........ did someone say "Jack Hendry" woops fell asleep there Archie. Then this is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

Not many with pass marks today. Thought Devine, Penrice and Spittal were all ok. But, the team looked really unorganised. Livi pushed right up on us and looked the better team from Erskine's goal onwards. Our midfield just didn't work out today - huge gap between the defence and the midfield, Bannagan and Edwards dropped back to pick up the ball then had nobody to pass to except back to the defence. So many backwards passes and no options hurt us all day. Should've changed it at half time and not let it continue for the rest of the game.

Edited by Hugh Janus

Lets hope this does not materialise into a poor league start again. I know its early days but the manager must now surly know outwith the players who were

missing, that he will need to get his finger out with regards to bringing in new faces. Utter nonsense to call todays match as pre season pish.

A cup run will always add much needed cash to a club like thistle, whether or not some class it as a mickey mouse cup or pre season pish.

How much have we needed the real LEADER on the park for quite a long time? When things get really tough we seem to be vulnerable, lacking ideas and, if you think of last season, somebody who controls the whole thing when we are trying to hold on to three points near the end of matches. Dare I say that it's a Scott Brown type of player? But somebody like Geggan from the Ayr side of last night. Eyes sticking out like dog's balls and desperate to win.

I thought that Spittal will do something for us if he just keeps going if things are not going his way. That seems to have been the criticism at United. He has loads of ability.

I thought Banzo was amazing for most of the game given how knackered he looked latterly and no surprise after missing fifteen months' football.

Long way to go and players to come back.

Just back in from Livi and we looked like a team that had over trained in pre season, there was no energy in the team and couldn't believe the only change we made was Nisbett for Erskine.

Main criticism I've got and I know it's only the first game of the season is why weren't McCarthy and Lamont used to give us the energy and drive that were sadly lacking , think if we're going to go with a small squad then you should have the confidence to put them on. Both these players in my opinion will be great assets for PTFC in the future and now is the right time to push them on and progress them.

Still puzzled with Archie's tactics that ended up with Penrice and Elliot on the left hand side ?

Edited by jlsarmy

Glad to see we're keeping our heads after the first competitive game of the season!

Not a good start to our competitive season, I fear: no real surprise to any regular attendee, I'm afraid.

Overall, same old, same old? Desperately need another forward and improved defensive cover or it's going to be a repeat performance of the last time we finished in sixth place in the top flight?

Nil desperandum however, as we've got players to return from injury and hopefully the aforementioned new signings-Pique and Messi, I'd expect?

Seriously, if we can come back from this and beat St Mirren next week, I'll be happy-which on the evidence of yesterday is going to be a fairly big ask?

Edited by stillresigned

Never seen us win at Livy or Broadwood, and I expected that to change today, especially after the first 15 minutes. Sadly after that Livy started to fight for the ball instead of standing back watching, and we were just woeful. Outplayed and outfought. Not good enough at all!

I admire the effort of Edwards & Elliot but Ryan just constantly gives the ball away unless passing backwards, and Christie just wouldn't get a game for any other SPL team. Sad but true. They're not scapegoats as most of the team was poor, but just an observation. We need a major improvement for next week and especially for the tough start to the league.

I'm generally the type of fan who is described as a happy clapper but I was hugely disappointed with that today. I expected a hard game and said before the game I would have taken any win. I could even have half accepted losing on penalties if we had shown a bit of steel. However, we treated the game like a pre season friendly which isn't good enough - people often refer to the League Cup as a diddy cup yet we celebrate winning almost fifty years ago on a frequent basis.

Cerny looked solid as usual and some great saves, Penrice looks a real prospect, Spittal kept at it and Banzo kept going despite tiring.

I was however fuming with Barton today, he was constantly getting caught and was so casual throughout. I also thought Edwards was awful. Chris' goal was superb and he played some nice stuff but it is concerning that after 60 minutes he is always knackered.

I agree with the poster above that the game was screaming out for McCarthy or Lamont to come on and add a bit of energy.

In other observations:

- I felt it was the right decision to let Amoo go and can see why we let Azeez go. However, we do have a worrying lack of pace up top which stops us varying it to a degree.

- there is understandably a lot of complaints about us failing to capitalise on the top 6 by doing our business early. However, I do wonder if it is because we are now trying to sign 'better' players and the competition is tougher, these guys may have other options and may be taking their time. However, we do need some reinforcements soon as the squad is quite threadbare.

- pet hate of mine, why do we frequently name fewer than 7 subs. I know some of the Weir lads may not be ready but at least give them the experience of being around the squad on match day and sitting on the bench (the young lad that came on as LB against Aberdeen for example)

Hopefully back on plan next week against St Mirren (who look promising this year)

• Like 1