Hibees Away. First Game

Knightswood Jag

Midfielders were getting caught in possession because they had no-one to pass it to. We need more movement and quicker passing, but more than that, we need more attack-minded players in the squad. We've sorted out the defence, we need to get the attack resolved. The four musketeers - Doolan, Erskine, Lawless and Spittal - are great, but Edwards is currently the only player in the squad we can replace one of them with during a game (I'm not counting Nisbet because, young, undeveloped player that he might be, I'd rather he moved on) and when Edwards gets suspended, then Spittal and Doolan injured, well...

Sometimes you've just got deal with being beaten by a better team however it is even more difficult to take when your competing against the referee as well. That was one of the most one sided homer performances I've seen in a long time but I'm sure mr Walsh thought he did a great job in pleasing the big boys at our expense.

I actually thought Danny devine and keown played well which seems funny as we shipped three goals but as others have said nisbet just isn't good enough. He seemed lacklustre in effort when closing down defenders and was easily muscled off the ball by their number 4. He really looked as though he didn't want the ball played to him at all. I only hope doolan isn't out for long as it looked like a hamstring injury.

Credit to Chris erskine for his effort today, second half he was busting a gut. If only adam Barton had a fifth of his work ethic.

A striker this week please Archie or we are gonna be In trouble.

We started well today - closing Hibs down, picking up several stray passes by them in midfield, good movement, quick passing, keeping the ball well, great use of the wing-backs (Elliott and Booth) with regular supply to them and space for them to run into. Then we scored. And the game flipped to the entire opposite. Hibs closed us down well, had the movement, passing, etc. - whereas we sat off them and showed them too much respect. There's no point in running to close someone down if you stop 3 yards away from them and let them do what they want with the ball. Too much respect shown and not enough dig.

Hibs are a good team and not many teams will walk away from Easter Road with 3 points. But, we're a good team too. We showed that at the start of the game, then when we scored the foot went off the accelerator and we had no bite in our closing down.

Kevin Nesbitt looks like he has zero confidence. A shame, as we all had high hopes for him. Either needs to go out again on loan to pick up his confidence, or do what young Declan has done and find his level somewhere else. Someone behind me at the game said they'd rather see Elliott upfront on Tuesday instead of Nesbitt. I have to agree, at least Elliott will close people down and use a bit of muscle.

The worst thing about today was that the lack of bite and fight from the team. If we're being pressed by a team we need to press them back as a team. Too weak!

Really disappointing performance today after such a bright start. Other than Devine and Keown there was no passmarks. The number of times we were caught in possession or made a short pass was simply unacceptable. Although Doolan wasnt great when he went off we simply didn't have an out ball and we got pinned back as a result. I never like to criticise Jags players especially young ones starting their careers however I just can't see a future for Nesbit at this level, I've seen nothing to date to give me hope that he will make it. He should be sent out on loan to a Championship team if he can't cut it there then there is no future with us. As others have said we need to bring in an alternative to Doolan asap the start to the season was always going to be difficult without this would make it much tougher.

We started well today - closing Hibs down, picking up several stray passes by them in midfield, good movement, quick passing, keeping the ball well, great use of the wing-backs (Elliott and Booth) with regular supply to them and space for them to run into. Then we scored. And the game flipped to the entire opposite. Hibs closed us down well, had the movement, passing, etc. - whereas we sat off them and showed them too much respect. There's no point in running to close someone down if you stop 3 yards away from them and let them do what they want with the ball. Too much respect shown and not enough dig.

Hibs are a good team and not many teams will walk away from Easter Road with 3 points. But, we're a good team too. We showed that at the start of the game, then when we scored the foot went off the accelerator and we had no bite in our closing down.

Kevin Nesbitt looks like he has zero confidence. A shame, as we all had high hopes for him. Either needs to go out again on loan to pick up his confidence, or do what young Declan has done and find his level somewhere else. Someone behind me at the game said they'd rather see Elliott upfront on Tuesday instead of Nesbitt. I have to agree, at least Elliott will close people down and use a bit of muscle.

The worst thing about today was that the lack of bite and fight from the team. If we're being pressed by a team we need to press them back as a team. Too weak!

while Nisbet was poor I think some of the finger pointing should be aimed at the more experienced players e.g. barton,osman and even bannigan who were constantly caught in possession

I was moaning about this for most of the game after Doolan went off so it was probably me! lol

So is that Hibs added to the list of teams that we sh1t the bed against and shouldn't expect a result from?

Heads went down after the equaliser (a lucky one at that) went in and after the penalty, looked like everyone on the pitch and in the dugout had accepted we were getting beat.

I really wish we could have a good start to a season for once.

Someone behind me at the game said they'd rather see Elliott upfront on Tuesday instead of Nesbitt. I have to agree, at least Elliott will close people down and use a bit of muscle.

That was me!

Just a quick summary of the match. We need another striker urgently, Nisbet just isn't good enough, could have played Erskine up front and brought McLaughlin on then put him on the wing. The loss of Spittal really affected us today, if we had him delivering the corners I'm confident we would've got at least one more goal, we could really do with a Higgy type player who can play striker too. The midfield was almost non existent apart from Osman and his scraps with John McGinn. Some of the few positives were, we weren't playing at full strength so we have an excuse! Also it was nice to see a full ground for once in a while, wish we could get that at Firhill!

while Nisbet was poor I think some of the finger pointing should be aimed at the more experienced players e.g. barton,osman and even bannigan who were constantly caught in possession

After they went 3-1 up they took their foot off the accelerator and we got back into it. Lots of possession and plenty of opportunities to get it up to Nesbitt. But, he just doesn't make the right runs, doesn't hold the ball up (always tries a one-touch lay-off), seems on his heels and on the wrong side of the defender a lot. Sorry if this seems harsh, but that's what I saw. To be fair he was up against Ambrose who played well today.

Re. the other players you mention:

Barton, got caught on the ball a few times and needs to learn to beat someone once and not go back and try to beat them twice. I actually thought he played OK but didn't have any options ahead of him a lot of the time.

Osman, was one of the few that actually looked to be fighting for it in the second half. Another one that got caught on the ball but possibly due to their being few options.

Banzo, started well with good distribution, but when Hibs started pressing he got caught on the ball a lot. Had a lot of late tackles in first half and beginning of second half. Looked close to being sent off a couple of times. Played better when Hibs sat back after the third goal.

One of the problems we have is struggling to play against a high-pressing team. Hibs struggled with us when we did it to them. But, we decided not to do it anymore after 8 minutes and they took on that role.

I thought Devine and Keown played well. Erskine had a great game and Stevie Lawless looked good going forward, but too slow when defending. Elliott was OK and Booth looked good going forward.

It's hard to pick anyone in particular who had a stinker (except Nisbett). The problem was that the team collectively lacked bite and showed way too much respect. Again, no point in running up to someone then stopping 3 yards away from them and letting them do what they want with the ball.

• Like 2

Yeh I'd go along with that. Most games we play there's usually a plethora of diverse opinions. Some you can agree with others you can't. Today was different. I don't believe anyone can argue that today our experienced players were simply slap dash.

Far more worrying tho' was the leisurely pace we played at today. Unless other clubs like Accies, Dundee, Killie have gone dramatically backward if we play with the the lack of pace and control we did today we'll be relegated. Simple as that. Nisbet didn't do anything to inspire confidence but at the same time that's by and large a side issue.

Fortunately we've a manager that will see our failings are corrected and pronto at that. Obviously we need another goalscorer but almost as urgently we require a Martin Boyle type player. Unheralded he may be but take him out the Hibs team today and stick him in ours and today's result could've been a lot different.

Erskine was magnificent, a shining example to all our other mids who were over run by McGinn and his colleagues. They were far quicker in thought and on foot. If ever we needed Edwards it was today. There was nobody breaking up play or closing down.

I don't thing Osman and Barton can be deployed in the same team as they are both far too slow. Thank God Banzo came on to a game, could be he is still finding his feet but looked good last half hour.

I am als concerned that Erskine and lawless cannot defend so too luxurious to play them both when we are under pressure.

I thought Christie should have been moved after 35 minutes into midfield in an attempt to douse their fire.

I don't usually shout at Jags players but Nisbets lack of effort, movement was shocking.he was hiding behind Ambrose the whole game. He should have been nowhere near the squad today after Airdrie and Stranraer.

Not happy but Archie will learn from this. Please God let Dools be ok.

From the highlights: their first goal came from a lucky break of the ball off a Jags defender. Their second came because Osman seemed to think that all he has to do is stand still in front of the guy who has the ball.... not just once, but twice. The third... classic penalty.

Good movement for the Thistle goal.

Here's hoping for some positive results in the next few weeks.....

From the highlights: their first goal came from a lucky break of the ball off a Jags defender. Their second came because Osman seemed to think that all he has to do is stand still in front of the guy who has the ball.... not just once, but twice. The third... classic penalty.

Good movement for the Thistle goal.

Here's hoping for some positive results in the next few weeks.....

2nd goal not helped by Lawless ball watching either

• Like 1

Erskine was magnificent, a shining example to all our other mids who were over run by McGinn and his colleagues. They were far quicker in thought and on foot. If ever we needed Edwards it was today. There was nobody breaking up play or closing down.

I don't thing Osman and Barton can be deployed in the same team as they are both far too slow. Thank God Banzo came on to a game, could be he is still finding his feet but looked good last half hour.

I am als concerned that Erskine and lawless cannot defend so too luxurious to play them both when we are under pressure.

I thought Christie should have been moved after 35 minutes into midfield in an attempt to douse their fire.

I don't usually shout at Jags players but Nisbets lack of effort, movement was shocking.he was hiding behind Ambrose the whole game. He should have been nowhere near the squad today after Airdrie and Stranraer.

Not happy but Archie will learn from this. Please God let Dools be ok.

i only think banzai played better the last half hour because Hibs had taken their foot off the pedestal unfortunately when we needed him the most eg the first 60 minutes he was nowhere to be seen, wasn't the only one though and following such a long time out will maybe take him a bit to find his feet again

Disappointing start to the season. We really should have made it harder for Hibs - they played very well but we lost 3 bad goals.

The main problems were being so wasteful in procession and gifting the ball away. The other is nobody got close enough to John Mcginn and allowed him far too much space. The 3 of Banzo, Osman and Barton did not work well - a big part of this is neither Osman and Banzo are 100% fit. However they should have worked better as a team to defend that space between midfield and defense and they did not offer enough protection to the back line.

The first goal is unfortunate however nobody from midfield covers Elliott getting stuck up the pitch and we paid the price. Second goal Lawless should do better however Osman, Banzo and Barton leave a big gap between them and defense and allow them to get the cross in.

The pen is just stupid from Booth - no need to make a challenge and it's a gift. Booth was good coming forward however I don't think he stopped one cross all game and that's his main job as a full back.

Doolan coming off injured was a huge blow - think Archie should have moved Elliott up front. This is far from an ideal solution however he would have caused a lot more problems to the Hibs defense.

Edited by Alan Murray