Cathro Sacked

angry gaz

... So compensation may be an issue.

Judging by the amount we got for Lindsay (ridiculously low in my opinion) that, in fairness, was probably dictated by contract clauses - I wouldn't be so sure it would take too much cash to get Archie!

Almost feel sorry for Cathro, though of course he willingly took the job so that is still almost but not quite. He came over right away as someone who who didn't have the mental toughness, the ability to impose his will on players, to be a good manager. I've no doubt from the places he's been and coached at that he is a very good coach but you need something more to be a good manager. Not that every big mouthed bully will make a manager but you do need that bit of steel regardless of what else you bring.

To take our Archie as an example: in interviews he comes over as quiet, modest, fair minded ... but I get the feeling that there is also a tough mentality there which comes over also. He's proved he has that of course by the difficulties he's overcome each year with us, but I believe a hint of that can be seen in his interviews. Cathro on the other hand came over as diffident, slightly lacking in confidence (rather than quietly confident as Archie often is) and actually a bit unsure of himself. No way you can manage a professional football team if you are like that.

I think Hearts have hurt themselves twice - perhaps three time with his appointment. First they have lost impetus and gone a bit backwards under Cathro. Second having had to fire him - because there's no way he could stay - they have perhaps lost what could have been a very good coach for them, he could maybe have worked as a subordinate to a genuine manager and of course they have to make a new appointment which even if they make a better choice is always a risk and regardless it will take them time to get back to where they were.

A quick look at 'Jambos Kickback' indicates that Archie is the man of choice on their fans' forum (if you exclude their ludicrous Michael O'Neill ideology).

If they come up with the £150k or so I imagine it might take to release him from his contract, it's an attractive option for Archibald.

Regardless of Levein's DOF role, he'll have a bigger budget, huge support and bigger shop window to work in. A wee win against their rivals on Saturday might add weight to his growing credentials.

Edited by brodieboy

I've never got the absolute opposition to a director of football it doesn't seem to have done clubs in Europe any harm

I remember watching an interview with bobby robson on sky when he was at Barcelona waxing lyrical about how good a system it was

I dont think Levin is a DoF in the terms of what a european club has though. If the rumours are true , (from p&b and hearts sites ), he is far more interfering in first team affairs than he should be.Was it at Pitoddrie last season he came out the stand to directley speak to Cathro in the dugout.l Came across to me as an absolute arrogant tosspot during his scotland days.