Stats Watch 2017-18

The Jukebox Rebel

From that list of yellows I see David Rowson only had 26 bookings. I think he played around 230 times for us. Given both how he played and his position only picking up one yellow in every nine games is remarkable. We have a goalie coach and it's been suggested on here talk about getting a striker/forward coach. Maybe we should employ David Rowson to teach Banzo and for that matter, Abdul, how to go about their work without getting carded? :)

Not meaning to derail the thread, but the fact that was Nchame's first goal for that lot leads me to ask, how often over the years have Thistle been generous enough to give Celtic players their first ever goal?

Apart from last night, I can think of the following:

Tom Rogic

Gary Mackay-Steven

Amido Balde

Nicky Henderson

Dixie Deans

Tom Callaghan

Not meaning to derail the thread, but the fact that was Nchame's first goal for that lot leads me to ask, how often over the years have Thistle been generous enough to give Celtic players their first ever goal?

Apart from last night, I can think of the following:

Tom Rogic

Gary Mackay-Steven

Amido Balde

Nicky Henderson

Dixie Deans

Tom Callaghan

Stuart Armstrong & Phil O'Donnell as well iirc

I thought the goal was awarded to Brown last night? He got the last touch (intended or not) and deflected it past Tam

Edited by jaggy

^ I agree with Scott Brown as scorer (although the media network seems to be unanimous in saying otherwise). Think TC had the French boy's shot covered, so Brown's was a decisive touch. The annoying WUM seemed to enjoy the fact it hit off his arm too. Love him in the dark blue mind you. :wacko:

There has been a penalty awarded in our last 3 games. What is the record of successive games where a penalty has been given for either team ?

Er, I trust that was a nice dream you had where Andrew Dallas was reinvented as a fearless operator who did his job competently. Hopefully wee Stevie slotted it away to earn a fine point. ;)

In competitive action there have been several clumps of 4 matches, the most recent of which came in August, 2011. Opening up the query to the "All Games" category, 5-in-a-row is the longest, an unusual spell during which 8 penalties were awarded:

12.05.1906 Clyde [a] W2-0 (Glasgow League - game 5)

for Thistle: ✔ Neilly Gibson (1-0, pen 1st half)

15.08.1906 Third Lanark [a] L1-3 (SFL First Division - game 1)

for Thistle: ✘ Neilly Gibson (saved @ 0-0, 1st half); ✘ Neilly Gibson (saved @ 1-2, 2nd half)

for Thirds: ✔ John Neilson (1-3, pen 2nd half)

18.08.1906 St Mirren [a] D1-1 (SFL First Division - game 2)

for Thistle: ✔ John Campbell (1-0, pen 1st half)

21.08.1906 Renton [a] D2-2 (Tontine Park New Pavilion Fundraiser)

for Thistle: ✘ ? (saved, 2nd half)

for Renton: ✔ Peter Whyte (2-1, pen 2nd half)

25.08.1906 Morton [h] W5-0 (SFL First Division - game 3)

for Thistle:✘ John Campbell (unconverted @ 2-0, 2nd half)

As a neat post-script to last week's game, I note Conor Sammon became the 129th member of the Thistle Internationalist's Club.

:detective:

19.08.2017 St Johnstone [a] L0-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 3)

LEAGUE LOSSES MOUNTING UP

• These clubs have now played 12 competitive games without a draw, 17th January 2015 to date, a H2H record run.
  • Amazingly, Thistle's last 9 defeats against St Johnstone have all been to nil.
  • Thistle are suffering their longest run of consecutive League losses (7) since Gerry Collins's side lost 10-in-a-row in 2003.
  • Thistle lose their first 3 League matches for the first time since 1999. You have to rewind back to 1981 to find a longer run of defeats to open up a League campaign. There were 5 that season, and Thistle went on to be relegated.

ongoing sequences:

• 7 consecutive League defeats, 7th May 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 10 games; 13th Sep 2003 to 29th Nov 2003. Club-record: 12 games; 27th Feb 1909 to 25th Aug 1909.)
  • 9 League games without a win, 15th Apr 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 12 games; 9th May 2015 to 26th Sep 2015. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 2nd Oct 1909.)
  • 30 consecutive competitive appearances for Adam Barton, 28th Dec 2016 to date. (Longest run since: Kris Doolan - 39 games; 15th Oct 2016 to 5th Aug 2017. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 64 away League games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (A new club-record.)

Gloom or boom?

Currently, unwanted records of the all-time-low variety are a recurring feature of our H2Hs with Aberdeen, Rangers and Celtic. Jags are currently on a run of 5 consecutive home League defeats against the Dons; our worst run in history in both competitive and League categories. Overall, defeat tomorrow would be a seventh competitive loss on the bounce and would equal the H2H worst, set in 1952 and equalled in 1993.

On a more positive note, victory tomorrow would give Alan Archibald his 43rd top-flight win, one more than John Lambie who registered 42. As it stands, the Arch (W42 D46 L67) has 7 games in hand to the Lambini (W42 D52 L68).

• Like 1

26.08.2017 Aberdeen [h] L3-4 (SPFL Premiership - game 4)

JOY AND PAIN FOR THE MARYHILL MASOCHISTS

• Thistle break their fast of 318 minutes without a goal vs. Aberdeen in typical Jaggy fashion, scoring thrice.
  • Chris Erskine becomes the 44th player to reach the fantastic milestone of 50 competitve goals for Partick Thistle.
  • Chris Erskine & Kris Doolan are the first pair to be established goal scoring half-centurions and play in the same Thistle team since Dougie Somner & Denis McQuade did so, way back in 1978.
  • Kris Doolan opens his League account for the season with his first-ever goal against Aberdeen, and has now scored against all 14 of Thistle's SPFL Premiership opponents.
  • The number nine is now just one goal away from a half-century in the Scottish Premiership. His tally of 49 is bettered only by Adam Rooney (58) and Leigh Griffiths (65).
  • Thistle concede their 5th penalty in the last 9 League games.
  • Niall Keown scores his first goal for Partick Thistle.
  • A double assist from the fruitful Blair Spittal takes his goals/assists tally to 6 in just 5 games.
  • Niall Keown's injury-time dismissal means that that 8 of the last 9 red cards in Thistle's games have went to Jagsmen.
  • Thistle lose a 6th consecutive home League match to Aberdeen, extending the H2H record run in both the League and Competitive game categories.
  • Thistle lose a 7th consecutive competitive fixture against Aberdeen, equalling the joint H2H record runs set in 1952 and 1993.
  • Thistle lose their first 4 League matches for the first time since 1981 when there was a run of 5. The category record stands at 8-in-a-row, set in 1898.

ongoing sequences:

• 5 consecutive home League defeats, 7th May 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 5 games; 23rd Aug 2003 to 22nd Nov 2003. Club-record: 10 games; 5th Dec 1908 to 25th Aug 1909.)
  • 8 consecutive League defeats, 7th May 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 10 games; 13th Sep 2003 to 29th Nov 2003. Club-record: 12 games; 27th Feb 1909 to 25th Aug 1909.)
  • 10 League games without a win, 15th Apr 2017 to date. (Longest run since: 12 games; 9th May 2015 to 26th Sep 2015. Club-record: 26 games; 28th Nov 1908 to 2nd Oct 1909.)
  • 31 consecutive competitive appearances for Adam Barton, 28th Dec 2016 to date. (Longest run since: Kris Doolan - 39 games; 15th Oct 2016 to 5th Aug 2017. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games; 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 64 away League games without a penalty award, 1st Mar 2014 to date. (A new club-record.)

Not a stats question as such but can anyone recall prior to yesterday a player being named MotM then being sent off?

Not in that order but Pat Keogh was sent off and then named MOM. The only one that springs off the top of my head was Ray Farningham against Celtic - maybe 1992/3 season?

Edited by michael m

I remember the Pat Keogh incident, against Ross County in the former First Division. He received a ridiculous red card on the word of a linesman, after half an hour. The match sponsors showed what they thought of the decision by naming Keogh, who had actually played well during his time on the pitch, Man of the Match. I think the game finished 1-1.

I was reminded of this recently by the death of Glen Campbell. The post-match verdict on the offending official was "he was a linesman for the County".

• Like 2

Not in that order but Pat Keogh was sent off and then named MOM. The only one that springs off the top of my head was Ray Farningham against Celtic - maybe 1992/3 season?

Thanks Michael :thumbsup2:

I remember the Pat Keogh incident, against Ross County in the former First Division. He received a ridiculous red card on the word of a linesman, after half an hour. The match sponsors showed what they thought of the decision by naming Keogh, who had actually played well during his time on the pitch, Man of the Match. I think the game finished 1-1.

I was reminded of this recently by the death of Glen Campbell. The post-match verdict on the offending official was "he was a linesman for the County".

Thought Pat K was sent off against Accies but at my age things are starting to go a bit gentle on my mind.

Btw never mind your double letter names. The only two Jags to be named MotM and be sent off this century both had surnames that started with Keo?