Friday Night Against Celtic

Paolo

Now I've calmed down, my opinion on the game for what it's worth. Early on we were dreadful, we seldom had the ball an when we did we have it back to them. Despite that Thomas had only 2 shots to save and was beaten by a deflection off the arm of Brown. The assistant at the tunnel had a clear view but chose not to tell Dallas. Watch Brown's reaction when he knows he got away it.

Second half much better, the belief was there and we had a go. A bit of luck with Dools converting or Dallas having the bottle to give a fair decision and we would get a deserved point.

I'm not going to criticise any Jag, they all have 100% and of course a couple could have played better.

So many positives, defensively we were strong with Keown and Turnbull immense and Storey really looked the part when he came on.

A final point, we started without Storey, Erskine, Osman, Devine, and Spittal. We have yet to see the Czech lad and we have 4 youngsters knocking at the door plus 2 long term injuries.

Being a Jag I'm optimistic about the season.

Oh and we've got the best management team that we've had since JL left. Monthejags.

• Like 1

Anyone saying that isn't a penalty after viewing the slo-mo replay is at the wind-up.

I agree, but in fairness to the ref, I wasn't sure until I saw the replay which confirms a clear penalty. I also thought the replay showed the ref was in a good position to see the incident; in that respect I'm disappointed he didn't make the correct call.

After my anger at the penalty and Brown's arm deflected goal has subsided a bit, I agree with Smokiejag that we can take some comfort from the game. The team was not at its strongest, and as John lambie used to say, the best way of getting the most from the players is to create strong competition for places. The squad is probably as good as its been for15 years, and I am looking forward to the rest of the season with more optimism than I have had in a very long time.

• Like 1

Realise I'm in the minority here but I thought the whole team was brilliant tonight and if that was any other team in the league we would've won comfortably. Defensively we were solid and the T&K partnership looks very promising, the midfield was very good tonight especially Edwards and the attack was decent except for the missed chances. We were never going to beat Celtic but this is a great performance tonight we just lost to a good goal. Btw that was a stonewall penalty at the end.

Like you, I disagree with what seems to be unjustified carping on here: the team was set up to frustrate and nullify Celtic's possession, and did so exceptionally well, only losing a single goal to a deflection. That game was managed superbly by our management and players. There were some errors, but although Doolan's miss is highlighted on here, Lawless and especially Barton getting caught in possession might have been more costly. In general the team's defensive play was impressive, with Elliott, Keown and Turnbull especially so. We also seem to have the pace now to counterattack. If the team continues to control games like that, we'll come out on top more often than not.

Talking about giving the ball away. Who pays for the match balls? That was two that were lost last night. The one the C*lt*c supporters kept and the one that Griffiths gave away at the end. Do they use a new ball at the start of every game? If so the used match ball could be a better second prize in the 50/50 than a replica.

A blatant penalty offence was committed right in front of the referee - he completely bottled it. Or did he? To be fair to Andrew Dallas, he was probably mindful of the Old Firm scumbags who smashed the windows of his family home some years back. In his head, I'd wager to suggest result-changing last-minute penalties against any of the gruesome twosome are a strictly no-go area.

Player-of-the-year type solidity from Niall Keown last night. The partnership with Turnbull looks like it could earn more than a few extra points in this campaign.

A blatant penalty offence was committed right in front of the referee - he completely bottled it. Or did he? To be fair to Andrew Dallas, he was probably mindful of the Old Firm scumbags who smashed the windows of his family home some years back. In his head, I'd wager to suggest result-changing last-minute penalties against any of the gruesome twosome are a strictly no-go area.

Apart from the one in Dingwall last season. No idea who the ref was or if he's still employed/living.

After a night's rest to consider this game my thoughts, for what they are worth. To begin with it was not a game that will live long in the memory: neither team played lots of sexy football. I would have taken a 1-0 defeat before the game started: this doesn't mean I am happy with failure, but merely realistic, when comparing the respective resources of both clubs.

From an offensive point of view we offered very little and it is stretching it a bit to suggest we deserved a point. As for the penalty-incident, at the time I thought it was a penalty, but wasn't at all surprised we didn't get it. Thought the two new guys played well, particularly considering they only signed yesterday morning. As others have suggested competition for places can only be a good thing. If nothing else if offers us a Plan B and takes the entire responsibility for scoring off the shoulders of Dools. So from the brief glimpse of our now 'embaressment of riches' up,front I feel much more confident about the rest of the season. Particularly, when you take into consideration the number of players carrying knocks/niggly injuries. That latter surely covers our midfield last night, a fair few of whom looked far from 100% fit.

Turning to our best permances of the evening, I thought defensively we were very good. In the centre Keown and Turnbull looked like they have been playing together for years. A fine assured performance, albeit Celtic played without a recognised striker. Both our full backs were excellent and here I feel special mention must be made of Christie Elliot; who I personally thought had an outstanding game last night.

Overall, slightly disappointed, but certainly not disheartened. Amazing what a week can do: after feeling depressed in Leith last weekend, I now look forward to the rest of the season with a fair bit of optimism.

We all know a lot of our support don't turn up for ugly sister games at Firhill. That includes Jags fans who have already paid (ie ST holders). Reasons aplenty. Could be the moving out of the JHS, not wanting to bring family to be subjected to the filth spewed out by the knuckledraggers or a bit of both, The inevitability of defeat should'nt really be a serious reason to stay away. Us Jags fans by and large are well equipped to travel in hope rather than expectation. But when you witness time after time blatant inconsistency of refereeing, culminating in a major decision going against us, even expectant defeat becomes a credible excuse for not turning up.

It's only accidental because Storey got ahead of him. Stop trying to dig yourself out of a hole. Blatant & clear penalty not given by a joke of ref who had awarded Hearts a non-penalty against us a few months ago and sent Devine for supposed 'deliberate' handball

It's only accidental because Storey got ahead of him. Stop trying to dig yourself out of a hole. Blatant & clear penalty not given by a joke of ref who had awarded Hearts a non-penalty against us a few months ago and sent Devine for supposed 'deliberate' handball

Blatant penalty?

Come on. You are digging yourself into a hole with that comment.

In the cold light of the sober day after the night before - Bitton's contact is minimal and accidental. Storey embellishes it theatrically. No penalty.

We'd have been rightly livid if that had been awarded against us.

So... it was a foul, he was impeded when Bitton kicks his foot while going for the ball and pushes him, but even if that is all accidental, it is still a foul and a penalty, but not a card.

Edited by flashman

In the cold light of the sober day after the night before - Bitton's contact is minimal and accidental. Storey embellishes it theatrically. No penalty.

We'd have been rightly livid if that had been awarded against us.

I am not sure that I see much difference between that and the one awarded against Booth last week

Are you a Celtic fan? Because the only people who are saying it's not a penalty are Celtic fans, even f**king Pat Bonner says it's a penalty!

I'd be keeping my head down after your performance on Tuesday night, if I were you.

To come on here and accuse a fellow Jags fan of being a supporter of another team because he happens to have a different opinion over a decision you don't agree with doesn't show you up in the best light either.

It's an internet message board. What do you not get about it?

• Like 2

Remember we had a pretty strong appeal for a penalty in the Hibs game turned down too. What is it now ,about three penalties in three years?

In both cases, if the referee thought that the Thistle player went down too easily after being pushed, why were they not booked for diving?