Nice Little Earner?

MMCF

How much would it cost to make a fourth stand similar to the northy.

Could be a huge cost. If the Club owned the area around the South enclosure it might be a different matter.

Those who turned up at Gretna ten or so years ago will have a rough idea how a temp stand could pay for itself over and over again. I'd imagine something similar to Gretna could easily pay for itself after three or so OF visits if it was our land in the first place.

Could be a huge cost. If the Club owned the area around the South enclosure it might be a different matter.

Those who turned up at Gretna ten or so years ago will have a rough idea how a temp stand could pay for itself over and over again. I'd imagine something similar to Gretna could easily pay for itself after three or so OF visits if it was our land in the first place.

Do you mean the bing? Who owns it?

Don't need another stand, any money available should be spent on the main stand then just maybe more Thistle fans would use it.

Point taken but a makeshift stand Gretna style or jousting tent (Falkirk/NDP) would pay for itself quick enough. Once it had, the profits from increased attendance could be diverted into renovating the Main Stand if that was viable. Quick guestimate 300 bigots 3 times a season paying full whack realises circa £16K (net of vat). Add on the odd occasion Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibs sell out the Main Stand. Plus if you factor in the occasional home Cup game against the ugly sisters or even the other three clubs having extra capacity makes sense.

All that tho' depends on access and other considerations, which as we don't own the area outright is more than just problematic.

Point taken but a makeshift stand Gretna style or jousting tent (Falkirk/NDP) would pay for itself quick enough. Once it had, the profits from increased attendance could be diverted into renovating the Main Stand if that was viable. Quick guestimate 300 bigots 3 times a season paying full whack realises circa £16K (net of vat). Add on the odd occasion Hearts, Aberdeen or Hibs sell out the Main Stand. Plus if you factor in the occasional home Cup game against the ugly sisters or even the other three clubs having extra capacity makes sense.

All that tho' depends on access and other considerations, which as we don't own the area outright is more than just problematic.

Temporary stand is a good idea LIB but as we do not own the land then all discussion is pointless. It will only be used for private development.

Are we so broke we need to cash in and give the OF almost every seat in the ground, alienating our own ST holders and turning it into effectively a home game for them?

We're not broke, we are healthy financially, forget the short term gain from selling out and give them only 2000 tickets strictly enforce segregation and ensure the Thistle end is for jags fans only even if that means only 4500 at the game, it will be our home game, more of our fans may start coming that avoid these games due to being outnumbered and basically intimidated in our own ground.

Standing up to the OF may cost us short term but would grow our fan base long term

• Like 2

I usually go to these games, although I couldn't on Friday. I hate it. The atmosphere is poisonous and we are made to feel like visitors in our own home.

It would be interesting to see the figures for home attendance for ST and non-ST supporters. But that won't happen. I wonder just how much selling our souls is damaging our home attendance.

I would like to think that you're right, Norge, and that crowds would be up if we didn't sell out to the £OF. Morally you are unquestionably right.

It's a nonsense that we can't put them in the Main Stand because they are a risk to life and limb. The tail is wagging the dog. I wonder if it is a convenient truth though. Perhaps the board are happy that that is the case.

• Like 2

At the last Trust meeting of last season there were slides of how many season tickets were sold in each of the last few seasons and one of how in each of the league games the crowd was split. For the non Celtic games the average home support was fairly steady but the Celtic games saw a significant decrease compared to the others.

I know the theory sounds great about taking a tough stance against Celtic & Rangers and more of our fans will come out but, unfortunately, I just don't see it happening in practice.

Are we so broke we need to cash in and give the OF almost every seat in the ground, alienating our own ST holders and turning it into effectively a home game for them?

We're not broke, we are healthy financially, forget the short term gain from selling out and give them only 2000 tickets strictly enforce segregation and ensure the Thistle end is for jags fans only even if that means only 4500 at the game, it will be our home game, more of our fans may start coming that avoid these games due to being outnumbered and basically intimidated in our own ground.

Standing up to the OF may cost us short term but would grow our fan base long term

As I understand it we can't put either filth in the Main Stand (duty of care evidently). Therefore they've got to be housed in either the Northy or JHS. More folk (myself included) are obviously inconvenienced by moving out the JHS but I'd argue the folk in the North Stand provide/instigate the atmosphere at matches and shouldn't be moved. As I see it there's no obvious recourse and the status quo, no matter how unpalatable, is the best we can do.

Going the other direction, even if the punters in the Northy could be accommodated in the Main Stand, the Club has to start on the premise that every ST holder will turn up.

I'm an advocate of the Club supplying non OF season tickets but that's a different argument. As it is I can't really see an alternative to what we do at the moment.

It has always been the case that Rangers and Celtic have a larger number of fans than us, whether it was before all seated stadium or segregation in the shed. Even if we only gave them the North stand, there would be more. It is the results against them as much as the atmosphere that prevents jags fans from turning up.

I wonder how much a temporary sprinkler system would cost. It could be activated by smoke (or manually by stewards seeing any smoke rising), and presumably the tanks feeding it would be filled beforehand with, er, suitable fluids for dousing the flames - the kind of substances that could easily be washed away by a hose-down afterwards.

• Like 1

I wonder how much a temporary sprinkler system would cost. It could be activated by smoke (or manually by stewards seeing any smoke rising), and presumably the tanks feeding it would be filled beforehand with, er, suitable fluids for dousing the flames - the kind of substances that could easily be washed away by a hose-down afterwards.

What is under the wooden floor in the main stand? I'm guessing concrete, if that's the case then we could just take out the wooden floor and attach the seats to the concrete.

Sorry, Fearchar, but the duty of care argument come into play again. Feel certain we'd be held liable for any mass trauma and resultant panic a sudden bath or shower would cause the Celtic Family.

• Like 2

Sorry, Fearchar, but the duty of care argument come into play again. Feel certain we'd be held liable for any mass trauma and resultant panic a sudden bath or shower would cause the Celtic Family.

At least it would be a new experience for the Celtic fans if we get sprinklers, might be a bit scary though having your first shower!

Edited by Knightswood Jag
  • Like 1

I usually go to these games, although I couldn't on Friday. I hate it. The atmosphere is poisonous and we are made to feel like visitors in our own home.

It would be interesting to see the figures for home attendance for ST and non-ST supporters. But that won't happen. I wonder just how much selling our souls is damaging our home attendance.

I would like to think that you're right, Norge, and that crowds would be up if we didn't sell out to the £OF. Morally you are unquestionably right.

It's a nonsense that we can't put them in the Main Stand because they are a risk to life and limb. The tail is wagging the dog. I wonder if it is a convenient truth though. Perhaps the board are happy that that is the case.

I was told that for the first home Celtic game last year, the season ticket uptake was 62%. Unsure if this is accurate but would not be surprised.

The excuse that the old firm (Celtic at the time) fans couldn't go to the main stand due to fire risk was nothing more than that. An excuse to appease the home support for being moved from JHS.

Suggesting that more Thistle fans would attend if we didn't give the OF the JH is purely hypothetical. Personally, I think it would make minimal difference if it was the case. Based on those I've spoken to, the people who deliberately skip the OF fixtures have been doing so for years - from long before we started giving up the JH for them.

I may be in the minority, but I think the club passing up on a six-figure sum from the away support in a single game, just to appease a few people who want to sit in a specific seat when there are loads of others available, would be extremely short-sighted.

• Like 1

Suggesting that more Thistle fans would attend if we didn't give the OF the JH is purely hypothetical. Personally, I think it would make minimal difference if it was the case. Based on those I've spoken to, the people who deliberately skip the OF fixtures have been doing so for years - from long before we started giving up the JH for them.

I may be in the minority, but I think the club passing up on a six-figure sum from the away support in a single game, just to appease a few people who want to sit in a specific seat when there are loads of others available, would be extremely short-sighted.

My only bother about being in the main stand is the awful and minimal toilet facilities. I think this is something the club should do something about (not easy but should be doable even if only very basic options are possible). Of course North Stand I presume is better in this regard but I prefer a side of pitch view.

You're absolutely correct. The first time we had to move was a different matter as season tickets had already been purchased under the assumption that your seat was available for all leagues games.

It has to be said that increased turnover accrued from the OF accommodating the JHS has to be balanced against both ST sales and patg Jags fans. Just how many folk don't buy STs due to (or partly due to) having to decamp 3 or 4 times a season will be an unknown quantity. One thing is certain you can't put a value on the change of stands simply by subtracting the capacity of the Main Stand from the capacity of the JHS and assume the additional turnover is all profit.